Hoist?

SunnyDelight

Feb 9, 2018
Hi.
Can anyone recommend a movable hoist to help someone stand up/transfer from bed, chair etc.
Also, anyone with experience, is there one where you can lift from an arm loop or something? The ones I have seen on YouTube videos seem to lift people in from a pad they are already sitting in (deck chair hammock kind of style)....which would not solve the problem of pad changes and washing.

Especially during these last few days I've had a problem with the dear deciding she suddenly can't stand up, it's getting more frequent.
Needless to say on these days it's become almost impossible to look after her. I've already strained my back a bit.

So it's hoist or bust time. Thanks.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Techniques for moving someone who cannot stand need to be properly taught, or otherwise you can injure yourself, and many hoists require two people. I am concerned that you are already saying that you have strained your back. A back injury is no fun and you would not be able to look after her if that happened.

I would ask for an urgent OT assessment (I think you go through your GP) so that she can be properly assessed as to what sort of standing frame/hoist would be best. If you dont have carers already, you will almost certainly need them now and if you have got carers, the number of visits may well have to be increased. I would also ask for an urgent needs assessment review from SS.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
I agree with canary - get an assessment organised asap before you do yourself more harm.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Hi.Social services would need to come in and access her.Also all equipment is provided by the loans department of the council.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Hi ask for an assessment,the people were really nice and gave mum everything she needed,she got an electric bed and a hoist,carers were also arranged and mum is safe and happy,i'm here as a full time carer too.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
You dont need a hoist, you use a hoist to move people who cannot stand from a-b. You dont use it to stand them up.They are sat or laid on the sling ready to move next time ( In a chair you tuck it behind them)

Please get an OT assessment arranged before your hurt yourself, or her/him

SunnyDelight

Feb 9, 2018
I'm just wondering how people that cannot stand up are to be washed and changed if hoists are just to move people from one place to the other. How do others than cannot stand up manage (say motor neuron (ALS) or locked in syndrome types)?

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
For people who cannot stand without some form of assistance you can get a Sara Steady.I use that on my dad.It has a handle which he grips from his reclining chair.He then puts his feet on the bottom of it and pulls himself up.Then I close the 2paddles behind him which he sits on.Luckily it has wheels and you can move him from one room to another.Or into his wheelchair.You can also transfer from the bed to a recliner.Plus you can wash someone if you need to.Dad has left sided weakness and VD.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
I'm just wondering how people that cannot stand up are to be washed and changed if hoists are just to move people from one place to the other. How do others than cannot stand up manage (say motor neuron (ALS) or locked in syndrome types)?
My mum is bed bathed,she has dementia and can't weight bare

SunnyDelight

Feb 9, 2018
Interesting replies. I presume bed bathing only happens in 'care homes'. As I was told some time ago by Social Services that once they 'can no longer stand' they will need to go into a home as they don't have the provisions to do home care at that stage. No hoisting, bed bathing etc.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Interesting replies. I presume bed bathing only happens in 'care homes'. As I was told some time ago by Social Services that once they 'can no longer stand' they will need to go into a home as they don't have the provisions to do home care at that stage. No hoisting, bed bathing etc.
My mum has care in her own home and is washed in bed she has lost mobility in her legs and is hoisted to a recliner when she wishes,she has to have 2 visiting carers 4 times a day to change pads and to do the morning wash

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My mum was already in a care home when she lost mobility, but I have a friend whose mum (with Vascular dementia) became totally bed-bound for the last 2 years of her life. He continued to look after his mum at home right up to the end and had 2 carers 4 times a day to wash,change and dress her and to change the bedding daily.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
My OH has lost all his mobility after 10 weeks in hospital. He has to be hoisted, bed bathed every day, bottom half washed twice daily. He is cathetered so I only have 2 visits morning and night by one carer per day, as I am the other. I want to be actively involved in his care and this is fine with the Care Company. I also have a very good neighbour who has worked in care and helps outside these parameters if required, fortunately that is quite rare.
I was trained in use of the hoist by the OTs at the hospital.
All the equipment I have, hoist, rotunda (tho' this isn't used at the minute as he lost his mobility after it was delivered but I am hopeful a private physio can get him weightbearing. There is a long, long wait for physios in this area) commode, bed/mattress, wheelchair, table & pressure cushion are all on loan. I did buy a battery operated air seat cushion as these aren't available on loan, tho' manual air pump ones are. He has also had 2 upgrades in mattresses and a bed extension.

Not sure if these loans are affected by the post code lottery but I couldn't ask for more regards the equipment I have been offered.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Near to where I live, there is a facility that caters for all kinds of people who are not fully able. One of the things they do is bath day. There are large baths, with steps or hoist, as appropriate. There are staff to help if necessary.
You might look around and see if there is anything similar in your area.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Hi.I care for my dad in his own home.He gets washed standing on the sara steady with the carers.I am also his carer.I have done care work for most of my life so it just seemed natural to help care for him.He cannot get in his shower because of his mobility but gets in a wheel chair and goes to a care home via a wheelchair access taxi.He goes once a month.Refused to go any more.They also weigh him as he cannot stand on the scales.He has VD ,amongst other problems.

bmca

Nov 11, 2018
Hi.
Can anyone recommend a movable hoist to help someone stand up/transfer from bed, chair etc.
Also, anyone with experience, is there one where you can lift from an arm loop or something? The ones I have seen on YouTube videos seem to lift people in from a pad they are already sitting in (deck chair hammock kind of style)....which would not solve the problem of pad changes and washing.

Especially during these last few days I've had a problem with the dear deciding she suddenly can't stand up, it's getting more frequent.
Needless to say on these days it's become almost impossible to look after her. I've already strained my back a bit.

So it's hoist or bust time. Thanks.

Antipat

May 20, 2019