Can someone help me?

LoveLife

May 17, 2019
Hi, I've never done anything like this before and wonder if anyone can give me some guidance please.
My Dad has middle to late Alzheimer's (had it approx 4 yrs) as well as a whole range of other health issues. He lives in his own property and his carers are wonderful. Over the past month he has started calling out "help me" but doesn't realise he is doing it - it's not constantly but is almost like an attention seeking reaction (if he knows we are in his property he'll do it, even if we are standing right in front of him....) Is this a phase that people with Alzheimer's enter at this late stage and then it stops or is it now a permanent part of the disease? Can it be treated with medication? He is not on any anti-Alzheimer drugs. Unfortunately, the calling out is causing concern for people around him, who are not too understanding of this awful disease.......... Thanking you all in advance for any suggestions.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @LoveLife, welcome to the forum. I hope you find this to be a friendly and supportive place.

This calling could be an expression of some anxiety or an announcement that pain is being felt but the words to communicate the issue can't be found.

A chat with the GP may help as depression and anxiety are common bedfellows of dementia and some medication for that, or even some mild pain relief may help.

I hope you can resolve this and that you will keep posting now that you have found us.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
There is a lady like that in The Banjoman’s Care home. I have only come across her once in the dining room (he spends most of his time up in his room) but I think most people tend to “switch off” and no longer hear her calling out.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Calling out seems to be common in the later stages - “help” or someone’s name. Dad’s carers told me he always called out my name when he wanted something but he wasn’t particularly distressed.

My mum constantly called my dad’s name and no-one could calm her until he came home.
Mum had a toy dog which she held on her lap and it seemed to give her some comfort so the shouting would stop for a short while. Meds were tried but, in her case nothing worked to calm her unless it made her completely out of it which we didn’t want either.

It was a phase that passed with both my parents, but only when they got to the stage when they only spoke when spoken to.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I feel for you and dread this happening. The poor man in the room next to mum's in her CH shouts out like that all day.

I'll be honest - I find it really distressing. He also shouts when carers are helping him when it becomes, 'Help! Get off me! Police! Help! F*** off!' and similar...

Thankfully, mum isn't the least bit bothered and has said 'That's my neighbour - he's always singing!' :rolleyes:

As others have said, I would turn to the GP and see if some meds might help your poor dad.

Lilye

Oct 15, 2016
I feel for you and dread this happening. The poor man in the room next to mum's in her CH shouts out like that all day.

I'll be honest - I find it really distressing. He also shouts when carers are helping him when it becomes, 'Help! Get off me! Police! Help! F*** off!' and similar...

Thankfully, mum isn't the least bit bothered and has said 'That's my neighbour - he's always singing!' :rolleyes:

As others have said, I would turn to the GP and see if some meds might help your poor dad.
Hi, I've never done anything like this before and wonder if anyone can give me some guidance please.
My Dad has middle to late Alzheimer's (had it approx 4 yrs) as well as a whole range of other health issues. He lives in his own property and his carers are wonderful. Over the past month he has started calling out "help me" but doesn't realise he is doing it - it's not constantly but is almost like an attention seeking reaction (if he knows we are in his property he'll do it, even if we are standing right in front of him....) Is this a phase that people with Alzheimer's enter at this late stage and then it stops or is it now a permanent part of the disease? Can it be treated with medication? He is not on any anti-Alzheimer drugs. Unfortunately, the calling out is causing concern for people around him, who are not too understanding of this awful disease.......... Thanking you all in advance for any suggestions.
Hi,
My Mum has Vascular Dementia often shouts out or says she's in pain if no one is paying her any attention. We do pay her lots of attention but if I'm there with her along with, perhaps my sister and we start chatting between us then Mum will start so I feel that perhaps, in some cases, it could be attention seeking.

LoveLife

May 17, 2019
Thank you all for your suggestions. It's very kind of you to take the time to help.
It's's mot pain related, as he is taking pain relief for other medical issues. I'm just concerned that if he continues this calling out then those around him may pressurise me into placing him in a home (where he does not want to go!!). His carers are so attentive, caring and wonderful that both he and I want to contnue for them to look after him in his own home.