Hearing Aids!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone!

It has taken dad almost a fortnight to lose a hearing aid again! I looked around his room and the carers are currently asking the night staff. One of the carers actually suggested we 'Hunt The Hearing Aid!!!!!!!!!!!!!'. I'm sure dad will enjoy this.

MaNaAk

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I would tell your dad he has done well to last 2 weeks.

My wife loses everything one can imagine on a minute by minute basis. We play ‘hunt the ......’ every day.

I even have to check my wife’s ears when she says she has lost her hearing aids - and the top of her head when she thinks she has lost her glasses.

It gives rise to strange situations as I will sometimes snap when something happens for the hundredth time and my wife then tells all and sundry that I ‘always’ shout at her. We have had various contractors in our home over the last couple of years and to a man they have witnessed our daily life and, as they finish up, whisper to me that I have the patience of a saint. A prime example of how we have to be careful with ‘reality’ as seen by some people with dementia.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear Pete and Bunpoots,

When dad received the new hearing aid a couple of weeks ago I secretly asked myself how long will this last. They certainly aren't in his room so I think they are somewhere else in the home and possibly one of his friends has picked them up. Also I didn't recognise the shirt he was wearing.

Oh! The joys of this sad illness!

MaNaAk

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
I so wish someone would invent a tiny stick on GPS kind of dot that you can adhere to glasses, hearing aids, shoes, clothing, keys & wallets, that is found by an app on your phone.
It would solve a million in one problems :p

Champers

Jan 3, 2019
My mum decided she wasn’t having ANYTHING to do with her hearing aids. They kept mysteriously disappearing, only to be found in some very strange places. One day she even told me, in a very quiet whisper, that “the gardener had taken them” Now, why her gardener, who incidentally is the most lovely and trustworthy chap, would want a pair of hearing aids that were moulded specifically for someone else’s ears is a complete mystery.
When I last visited, I asked (very optimistically) if she knew where her hearing aids were?
“They’re here. Why? Would you like to take them for yourself? I don’t need them.” :confused:

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
My mum blames everything that does not work in her house on some naughty boys from the local school, I dread the day she goes there to complain! So these boys have gone into her house several times to cut the wires to her tv and freezer ( she unplugs them), hide things and on Mobday they removed her alarm control box ( We arranged for it to be disconnected as she now inputs her debit cad number and sets it off!)

It's never her fault of course!

Fullticket

Apr 19, 2016
Chard, Somerset
Her dental plate always went missing in our house - it went through the wash three times (none the worse for wear so must have been made of strong stuff) as I did not check her pockets. She would leave it on the arms of chairs, on the table, under the bed. It eventually disappeared totally and we even looked in the shed, although we knew she hadn't been out there in four years. She didn't seem to miss it and was terrified of the dentist so it was a gappy smile from then on. She once put the written and stamped Christmas cards in the oven of the Aga so there is a theory that the sticky mess of charcoal found on the floor of the oven wasn't necessarily an exploded baked potato...

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
I once opened my mothers bedside cabinet to find the ingredients for a syrup pudding....
You can get a gadget - called an Esky I think, which has sticky pads you attach to a stick or glasses case and a remote control. Press the coloured button on the remote the same colour as the sticky pad, and it flashes and emits a sound, to help find missing items. Very helpful for sticks, bags etc, sadly too big for glasses or hearing aids

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
My neighbour whose mother had dementia said that she could write a book on all the things her mother did and I think I could do the same with dad except that I could write another book on where he would put things with a chapter on 'Items Appearing And Disappearing In The Care Home'!

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dad didn't have any hearing aids at all this evening so I put my arm around him and said you just enjoy fiddling about with your hearing aids!

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Just before I left the home I mentioned dad's hearing aids to the night staff and it seems that the manageress has decided to keep dad's hearing aids in the office whilst she is on holiday to stop him getting up to his tricks!

MaNaAk