Alzheimer’s hereditary ?

Rickupnorth

Jun 1, 2018
Hi.
I am 65. My father had Alzheimer’s when he died twenty years ago. He had type one diabetes.
I have type two diabetes.
I am wondering if Alzheimer’s is hereditary. I am getting very forgetful. Sometimes, I have difficulty remembering what I have been told. Or past events.
I read that if you suffered from one of the following, you could end up with dementia or Alzheimer’s:-
High blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, obesity, long term insomnia.
I suffer from all of these.
I would be interested in the view of others.

Last edited by a moderator:

Antkin

Mar 14, 2018
Bradford
There is some research that has linked it to a gene that can be passed down. I have low blood pressure (not treatable on NHS) cholesterol controlled by plant sterols, diabetes testing but so far free, I am obese and suffer long term insomnia.

My mum died of a stroke and dementia on the 11th April 2019.

I know I need to take more exercise to keep my brain active. I am taking ginkgo biloba to aid blood flow to the brain as a preventative measure. I am 61.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
My husband has none of the conditions you mention. He has though inherited Alzheimer’s and glaucoma from his father and grandfather. Sometimes it’s hereditary but not always.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Most forms of dementia are not inherited.
My mum had Alzheimers, but not the genetic form, so I am not considered high risk.

If you are concerned about your memory, please go and see your GP. There are several things that can mimic the symptoms of dementia - stress/depression, thyroid imbalance and vitamin deficiency to name a few - which can be treated.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
My husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer's almost five years ago. His long term memory is almost nonexistent and his short term memory has started to fail in the last year or so. His mother had Alzheimers but from what he tells me, her illness was very different in the way she behaved to his.

His two younger siblings have terrible short term memories but as yet neither have any other symptoms of Alzheimer's that I am aware of.

My husband has had massive heart problems but has never had high blood pressure, diabetes, insomnia, obesity or high cholesterol. He was extremely active - played football, tennis and ran marathons, and has been vegetarian for many years.

Since his diagnosis, he has been labeled as atypical, frontovariant, nonamnesiac and nonclassical which tells me that the experts don't really know.

I am aware that that there are genes that indicate a hereditary link but I think they are a long way off knowing what the connection is and how it functions.

I can only suggest that you talk to your GP about some sort of assessment. You may find that it could be any one of a number of things and certainly if you discover that it is not Alzheimer's, you will be very relieved. Living with fear, genuine or imagined, can be soul destroying so I think the sooner you get answers the better.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
orange77