Sex

Olliebeak

Sep 13, 2014
Buckinghamshire
This is so hard to talk about with friends face to face but I just know people on this forum will have wise words for me. My OH is 83 (I am 15 years younger) and he has had Alzheimer’s for around 8 years - diagnosed nearly 5 years ago. We have been together for about 25 years. We kind of gave up on sex about 5 -6 years ago. He is diabetic and had some “mechanical” problems and I had some post menopausal symptoms that made everything difficult. As his disease has progressed our relationship has changed so much. I don’t feel I have a husband any more, it’s more like being a single parent. Dementia and his increased mental and physical frailty has robbed us of all the things we enjoyed together - like travelling, theatre, eating out, walking etc. I have to make every decision and manage every aspect of our lives from the trivial to the most fundamental. I admit I resent all this and my feelings for him have changed totally. I feel trapped and lonely.

Suddenly this morning he was edgy and clearly wanted to say something. He proceeded to tell me how much he misses sex and still wants to have sex and only wants to have it with me. I was just horrified - I barely want to kiss him these days and the thought of anything more is just abhorrent. I feel very guilty but that’s how it is. I just told him that as we have not had sex for so long I just don’t think about it anymore (not completely true but that’s another issue!). He has gone off to lunch club now and I am just praying he will forget about it. He is just back from a respite week in a care home so perhaps one of the women there has stirred up things for him. Feeling poleaxed!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
No advice to give you, Im afraid, but just to say that I feel the same way about OH. He too has "mechanical" problems and, TBH, it was a relief as sex had become yet another thing that he had forgotten how to do properly.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Your feelings are very common. We had a very “ healthy” marriage but I am now more his nurse than anything else. Sex now would be an insult to what we had.

Best wishes

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Exactly! I remember the last time, just like the first time. Only it was so strange as he just seemed to have forgotten everything he ever knew........ I felt so insulted. But now, yes, it is like living with a vulnerable child, so that is easier.

But, don't we all want to feel as though someone loves us?

Isolation is the name of the game, now.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Happy Birthday @nestle
Birthday-Celebration-Bowl.jpg

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
This is so hard to talk about with friends face to face but I just know people on this forum will have wise words for me. My OH is 83 (I am 15 years younger) and he has had Alzheimer’s for around 8 years - diagnosed nearly 5 years ago. We have been together for about 25 years. We kind of gave up on sex about 5 -6 years ago. He is diabetic and had some “mechanical” problems and I had some post menopausal symptoms that made everything difficult. As his disease has progressed our relationship has changed so much. I don’t feel I have a husband any more, it’s more like being a single parent. Dementia and his increased mental and physical frailty has robbed us of all the things we enjoyed together - like travelling, theatre, eating out, walking etc. I have to make every decision and manage every aspect of our lives from the trivial to the most fundamental. I admit I resent all this and my feelings for him have changed totally. I feel trapped and lonely.

Suddenly this morning he was edgy and clearly wanted to say something. He proceeded to tell me how much he misses sex and still wants to have sex and only wants to have it with me. I was just horrified - I barely want to kiss him these days and the thought of anything more is just abhorrent. I feel very guilty but that’s how it is. I just told him that as we have not had sex for so long I just don’t think about it anymore (not completely true but that’s another issue!). He has gone off to lunch club now and I am just praying he will forget about it. He is just back from a respite week in a care home so perhaps one of the women there has stirred up things for him. Feeling poleaxed!
I could have written your post and have been through a similar trajectory. I know that he feels the same as yours and he still has erotic feelings for me but he is also very considerate and would never press. I had a mildly erotic dream the other night after watching the final episode of The Durrells, the first time for years, which shows you how these feelings lie dormant and can resurface with the right trigger. The scene near the end was so beautifully written and heartfelt by the actors. I was very touched by your post, it’s a lonely road we travel but get by with a little help from our friends.

dancer12

Jan 9, 2017
Mississauga
I feel for you . I can relate to what you are saying. I manage to put my partner off by saying I'm too old for that sort of thing . I'm 59 today .
Hi nestle:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

Hope you have a wonderful day & all your wishes come true.:)

PS: I just want a hug & a gentle kiss from my husband these days just so I know I'm still appreciated. That's magical enough for me.

Sending a many warm cyber hugs to you.:):):)

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
Is it something in the air! Springtime or what!
After many years of nil.........OH informs he still has urges and likes to see me undressing etc!!!!
He is immobile, catheterised.....and impotent for many many years!....
What is going on!

Roseleigh

Dec 26, 2016
Nobody should feel guilt or shame about no longer wanting sex or even any kind of sexual contact with a partner with dementia or even a disability. Sex is not a 'right' for anyone, even in marriage.