Coming up to 4 weeks in CH

gilliano

Mar 24, 2017
Liverpool
Hi all, a few weeks ago I was at my wits end about my Mum going into a carehome, and posted a message on here. I received a lot of support and reassurance, but on the day of her move, I can honestly say I have never felt worse or guiltier. A few of you did tell me the first day is the worst and it does get better, so I decided to post a little update.
We told her she was there while some repairs were being carried out on her house, but with hindsight, that was a bad idea as she was clinging on to the promise of going back to her own house, so we gradually changed the story to 'this will take a long time' to 'the house is too old to be repaired'. She accepted that.
First few days my sisters and I spent a lot of time with her and stayed until she was tucked up in bed and fast asleep. I know that goes against the grain, going by what some CH managers recommend, but we did it anyway. We gradually spent less time over the coming days and she was very unsettled at times and tried her best to get out of there.
The last few days have been lovely, she seems happy and much more settled. We've always raved on to her about how amazing her new residence is, and how lucky she is to be there and she agrees with us. When I took her out this morning she said ' I dread to think where I would be living if it wasnt for this place'. My heart danced!!
She may have a few more ups and downs, but the situation is getting better all the time.
A few things have had us laughing; wearing someone elses trousers, completely oblivious, about 3 sizes too big. They fell to her ankles when she got up to walk. She has plotted her 'escape' with another resident and are on lookout for when the door is left open (like, never!) oh and we find all kinds in her handbag, such as packets of biscuits, felt tip pens, a purse and the odd little trinket.
Oh and my sisters and I no longer worry about her, knowing she is safe and in good hand 24/7. Priceless xx

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
I hope your update will put other peoples mind at ease if their loved ones have to go into a care home. For peace of mind for you and your sisters - as you say priceless.

Dosey

Nov 27, 2017
Hi Gilliano
Glad to hear your mum is settling.
My OH went into care 6 weeks ago today. Age 62 I am still very sad. I know it's the best place for him, he has settled well and carers are great.
Only problem is when I visit him he is glad to see me, however when I leave he is extremely upset. This has resulted in me having to limit my visits. Last week only went twice Plan the same this week. Feel I have deserted him. Carers reassure me he is happy and settled there. I miss him so much crying stopped but I feel so empty.
Will this feeling ever leave.
Rose x

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
Really happy to hear this. It does take time and it is so hard to accept at the start. I agree, you have to manage the visits in the way you feel best. I did a trawl of my Mum's room (usually while she was in the loo) and repatriated any stolen items. Though what she wanted with the toast crusts or why she put her walking stick in the neighbours wardrobe is any guess.....

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Only problem is when I visit him he is glad to see me, however when I leave he is extremely upset.
The way to get round this is not to tell him that you are going. I used to leave my bag and coat in the managers office so that mum didnt see me picking my things up in order to leave and I never said goodbye to her - I used to just say that I needed the loo, or that I needed to speak to someone and that Id be back soon. Then I would just leave. I also used to time when I was leaving with when a meal, or some other activity, was ready to work as a distraction. "Oh look mum, heres your dinner arriving! I must go to the loo and Ill be back soon."
None of this was an out and out lie, because I did go to the loo and I did come back soon - just not that day.......
Sometimes you have to be economical with the truth.

Dosey

Nov 27, 2017
Hi Canary
I have been doing this since you gave me this advice the first week he went in. Really appreciate your support and taking the time to answer.
The carers come and take him away to distract him so I can skip out. He is now refusing to go with them, I have to just walk away. On Sunday I was trying to get out and fell flat on my face hurting both knees, have a knee replacement in right leg now badly bruised. OH was upset that I had fallen. Phoned later to be told they put music on and he quickly settled.. could hear him laughing and telling the carer to come on. I know he is well looked after and is at he severe/late stage of Alzheimer's, but the guilt, loneliness and depression are so very hard.
Watching 4 of my grandchildren 2 days a week, going to our caravan Friday-Sunday is keeping me busy.
This is such a cruel journey for everyone.
Rose x

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
So glad to hear your Mum has settled well.

I know what a huge relief when the person you have cared for accepts their new home, is happy, forms friendships with others. That they are cared for 24/7, safe, fed etc. It is such a relief as it often comes after many months of sleepless nights, frustration, accidents at home, hospitals, ambulances, phone calls etc.
It sounds like it was the best of outcomes for all of you.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Does he not accept that you have to go to the loo sometimes @Dosey ? It was my regular excuse with mum. I dont think she would have been happy to go off with someone else when I was there either.
Im glad that he settles quickly after you have gone and you know that he is OK.
Give that guilt monster a bashing and hug your grandchildren :)

Dosey

Nov 27, 2017
Thanks Canary
He won't let me go to the loo without him. Was the same at home he followed me everywhere even to the loo and shower. How you lose your own dignity when you care 24/7 for someone. Today is babysitting day. One granddaughter (3) in nursery all day, two grandsons (6) and (7) dropped off at school, other granddaughter (3) here with me. Going to nursery at 1pm. Two hours to me then start the run again. Lol. Pick boys up 3pm, granddaughter at 3.30pm other granddaughter at 4pm. Make dinner for them all, then both dads get them at 6pm when they finish work. Enjoying having the children, been so long, since OH didn't want them around last year or so. Loved having them all before this horrible disease took hold.
Rose x

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Oh Im sorry @Dosey - I can see it is difficult if he wants to come to the loo with you :confused:
You have probably organised it the best way for you. Eventually, of course, he wont want to follow you around and this will be a bittersweet moment.

You are having a busy day today, it sounds wonderful, though - a house full of children :D

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Hi Gilliano
My OH went into care 6 weeks ago today. Age 62 I am still very sad. I know it's the best place for him, he has settled well and carers are great.
Only problem is when I visit him he is glad to see me, however when I leave he is extremely upset. This has resulted in me having to limit my visits. Last week only went twice Plan the same this week. Feel I have deserted him. Carers reassure me he is happy and settled there. I miss him so much crying stopped but I feel so empty.
Rose x

Don't know whether this will help at all, but mother would also be very upset when I left, for the first few weeks/months. In the end, I stopped 'leaving' as such, I was just 'nipping to the shops before they close', or going to pick my car up from its service', or picking dh up from the station, etc. etc., but 'I'll be back very soon.'
Because her short term memory was so bad by then, she'd forget within a minute or two that I'd been at all, so no harm done. In fact I did once nip back after only a minute or two for something I'd forgotten - she had no idea that I'd only just been.
And BTW since she had no idea of time any more, I could use the 'shops closing' one whatever time it was!

gilliano

Mar 24, 2017
Liverpool
Hi Gilliano
Rose x
Hi Gilliano
Rose x
Hi @Dosey, so sorry to hear of your sadness. I see you ve had some very useful and supportive replies to your message and I hope you get some comfort from hearing what others have told you.
I agree with what most people say about not telling him when you're leaving as it will cause a lot of distress to both of you. I tend to come and go a few times before i actually leave the ch, for instance I'll go and tidy mums room, then come back and see how she reacts and I realise she has no concept of time. It really is heartbreaking when the person you love so much is in this situation, but we have to remind ourselves that we've done the best we can for them and will eventually spend lots of quality time visiting in the coming weeks and months. Hope you're ok today , Gill xxx

gilliano

Mar 24, 2017
Liverpool
Really happy to hear this. It does take time and it is so hard to accept at the start. I agree, you have to manage the visits in the way you feel best. I did a trawl of my Mum's room (usually while she was in the loo) and repatriated any stolen items. Though what she wanted with the toast crusts or why she put her walking stick in the neighbours wardrobe is any guess.....
@Helly68, that's so funny. We could all get together and write a book about some of the antics out of our loved ones xx

Dosey

Nov 27, 2017
Thank you everyone for your support and advice. I went and got my hair done today, not been done since January. Felt good getting pampered. My hairdresser Antony asking after my OH. I Had to take him with me when I got my hair done. Reassured me I had done a wonderful job looking after him for so long on my own (7 years) .
Have enjoyed having the grandchildren this week, Monday, Tuesday.
Heading off to my caravan tomorrow evening for a relaxing weekend with friends.
Hope you all have a lovely weekend. Will visit OH on Sunday afternoon when I return. Sons will pop in over weekend.
Rose x

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan