My mother is suffering from dimentia

Rekha gupta

Apr 24, 2019
Hi,
My name is rekha from india. I am a new member here. My mom is suffering with dimentia 7th stage. Earlier she used to speak little words now she always keeps silent. She also does not walk .When i try to make her walk she immediately sit down on floor. To make her walk i have to do a lot of struggle. She also have a very less weight. I dont know how to handle my mom as m not able yo see her in this condition. Can you please suggest me how to take care of her... What should i do? Please help

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Rekha gupta, you are welcome here.

That sounds like a real struggle. It may help if you state the country where your Mom is located as then it may be possible to give advice about local support. At the very least, it sounds like you need some medical or care input.

In the meantime, you may get some value out of the information contained in the Society Factsheets that you can reach by clicking the following link
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

Pacucho

Hello Rekha,

From your message I assume your mum's dementia has progressed to mid-end stage, and I know this can be a real struggle. The most important piece of advice I can offer is to focus on your mum's comfort and as far as possible quality of life. For example, there would be days when my late mum would simply not eat and drink, but if I offered her an ice-cream she would love it.

I realise this advice is easy to say but very hard to do, but I had to come to terms with the fact that there was a limit to what I could do (including trying not to antagonise/upset my late mum).
Hope this helps,

Paco

Rekha gupta

Apr 24, 2019
Hii
Hello Rekha,

From your message I assume your mum's dementia has progressed to mid-end stage, and I know this can be a real struggle. The most important piece of advice I can offer is to focus on your mum's comfort and as far as possible quality of life. For example, there would be days when my late mum would simply not eat and drink, but if I offered her an ice-cream she would love it.

I realise this advice is easy to say but very hard to do, but I had to come to terms with the fact that there was a limit to what I could do (including trying not to antagonise/upset my late mum).
Hope this helps,

Paco

Hii
Thanks for this. My mom condition is not getting any better. As i m alone to take care of her, am not able to go outside for full day. I cannt not leave her alone at home. I am thinking that i am also mentally exhausted. I am not able to travel to leave my mom at home. As she is not able to do anything. Is there any other advice which u can provide me to overcome this feeling.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Rekha. I don`t know how you are managing without any help or support.

I have searched for dementia care in India and found this link. I don`t know if it will be any help or not. I suppose it depends on where in India you are living.

https://dementiacarenotes.in/resources/india/

There is a free Helpline number if it is still in use. It is

1800-180-1253

I hope you will be able to connect with somebody there who will be able to give you some advice.

Pacucho

Hello,

I see you have received good advice from Sylvia.

I am afraid the feelings you describe are those that I experienced in caring for my late mum, including the feeling of being imprisoned in my own home. I know this is possibly one of the most difficult situations you are going to have to manage in your life, and in some way you have to find a way forward to give yourself some quality time for you (however short that is).

For me what helped was being put in contact with a carers support group whereby I could talk about what I was going through with people who understood, because they were in the same situation. Just being able to release some tension by talking about it helped a great deal for me. Hopefully you can find a way forward for you, because I know it was a great help not just for me but also for my mum as I was less stressed.
Hope this helps,

Paco

Rekha gupta

Apr 24, 2019
Hello,

I see you have received good advice from Sylvia.

I am afraid the feelings you describe are those that I experienced in caring for my late mum, including the feeling of being imprisoned in my own home. I know this is possibly one of the most difficult situations you are going to have to manage in your life, and in some way you have to find a way forward to give yourself some quality time for you (however short that is).

For me what helped was being put in contact with a carers support group whereby I could talk about what I was going through with people who understood, because they were in the same situation. Just being able to release some tension by talking about it helped a great deal for me. Hopefully you can find a way forward for you, because I know it was a great help not just for me but also for my mum as I was less stressed.
Hope this helps,

Paco
Hii
I really dont know sometime how to handle the situation. The whole things some time make me sick. It is also reflecting in my own life. I just becoming a person who just need more care and love which i m not able to get. Nd am also not able to give love to my mother. Slowly slowly i think i m becoming depress regarding my life and my mom