insomnia - drugs

terry999

Mar 27, 2008
london
Hi

My mum is now in a care home. She has been on Zopiclone for over a month to make her sleep. This is needed as she will not sleep at all.

The other day when visiting her got there in time to see an ambulance taking her away. The staff told me she had been totally unresponsive - almost catonic state most unlike her.

The ambulance driver told that he had alot of cases recently of elderly who were on Zopiclone (3.75mg p.d) suffering teh same after some time on it.

Doctor at casualty did tests found nothing wrong - sent us back to the home. I asked him if home should still give mum this tab. He said not to. I ddin't think of asking what should they replace it with.

I've since read, it shouldn't be stopped suddenly as this can cause insomnia. It was 3 in the morning by then and wasn't the most clear headed.

Anyway, seeing as its Friday the home will find it diffciult to get hold of GP to prescribe something different. So mum won't sleep all weekend and thats bad for mum and the poor staff having to keep an eye on her.

P.S. So glad went with mum - without me there she would have been left in a corner and forgotten about.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Terry

Sorry, I've no experience of Zopiclone, though I believe it's quite commonly used.

It must have been frightening, seeing your mum so badly affected. It's a good job you were with her.

It's up to the home to care for her if she can't sleep, even if she needs one to one care. But I know how you feel about not getting any support over the weekend.

All the best,

mica123

Apr 30, 2008
england
zopiclone

Hi Terry,I have been trained in medicnes in the home that i work.I am lead to believe by the pharmacist that did my training,that Zopiclone is a short term prescription.Manly used for people who work irregulsr work patterns:eg pilots,businessmen,airline crew.It is apparently not intended to be a long term medicine and should be used in the above situations only.its effects are not long term and will therfore from my training,not have an effect on anyone who has not got irregular sustained sleep patterns.3.75mg is a low dose but will be suffice for irregular sleep/work patterns.I know this may sound daft,but nutritionalists have said that eating a banana before bed will aid sleep.I have tried it in my job role and it does appear to woek.

terry999

Mar 27, 2008
london
Thanks for replies.

funny you said bananas - mum eats them regularily. She eats little but does enjoy them. Pleased that the one thing she does it is good for her.

I read the BNF for Zopiclone and agrees with what you said.

But what to give her?

Home does its best, always wondered if hypnosis would work with AZ'ers? e.g. get them to sleep and do do things like get washed.

She is better now

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar