Are you an animal?

NotTooLate

Jun 10, 2017
Alvechurch
toolate.blog
I've been looking at diet and dementia. It is obvious that this must play a vitally import role when considering time before and time after dementia occurs.

However, I can't change what my eating habits were before, but I can do now and this has left me in a bit of a dilemma!

Research that I have been looking into seems to be divided, a common finding with research, between what is best, a plant based diet, or a keto, low carb diet!?

I think these two basic choices seem to be at odds... So I would like to know what anyone else has decided on and have you changed your diet since being diagnosed?

DennyD

Dec 6, 2016
Porthcawl, South Wales
As my husband is no longer able to communicate that well, I'm taking the liberty to answer on his behalf. I hope you don't mind. He did change his diet but not because of what he read in the media about any links between diet and Alzheimer's. If he could he would say that there may well be some link and if he wanted to would have done further research. But as he had already been diagnosed it would now no longer make a difference. He has changed his diet but because of me. I did not force him to but he has become vegan. I've been vegan for 30 years he has always been a meat eater - so was a great surprise. His thinking, feeling changed about many issues since diagnosis - he has become more sensitive and aware. Also, his taste changed, another issue that became apparent, food that he liked before, no longer appealed to him. Having said all this he was and remains observant to eat a 'healthy and balanced' diet.

NotTooLate

Jun 10, 2017
Alvechurch
toolate.blog
Hi DennyD and thanks for the reply!

There is a lot to be said for being Vegan and there does seem to be a lot of health benefits!

It seems to me that the two main type of diets that aim to help with dementia, seem to opposites, or that me be my perception! I'm not sure!?

Interest about your husband changes.... my taste and ability to smell has definitely changed; certain foods I can not eat and I can not keep them down. I have this metallic taste often, but not sure what that is about. I prefer plain stuff now, natural and free of additives! Another strange one is coffee; I've always been a coffee lover, but now I just don't get the same but off it.. if that makes sense. Milk is another one... seems very thick, fatty and rich!

Most of the time I just eat what my daughter throws at me :rolleyes: That's a joke, she cooks really well and I'm very grateful for all she does. Just in case she reads this. :D

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
There seem to have been lots of dietary "fads" over the years about what is best to eat when you have dementia. These fads get repeated everywhere and then seem to fade out of the limelight.

I am a great believer in having a varied and balanced diet with as few processed ingredients as possible.
Having someone else to do the cooking is a great bonus :D

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
My husband has been vegetarian for decades, long before Alzheimer's was even on the radar. He still is. He doesn't use cow's milk but loves cheese. He doesn't use alcohol and says he doesn't like sweet things but eats chocolate every night and is often seen enjoying ice cream. He never smoked.

None of this has made any difference to his AD. He is still just slipping slowly with no great dramas or crises.

I am the youngest of five and we are all still alive and none of us has recognizable dementia. My oldest brother is now 85 years old. We are all omnivores, we all smoked, we ate anything and everything and certainly have been known to enjoy a drink or two (or maybe three or more) . We were always very adventurous and enjoyed nothing more than being out on the water, scrambling up and down cliffs or travelling off the beaten track.

We were and still are rebels, all of us and we are all rebelling against growing old. None of us is doing it well.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I agree that having a well-balanced diet is the key for good health. Having someone else to cook is ideal. @canary

But I firmly believe that if and when they finally figure out the causes, it will be multi-factorial involving genetics, how we age, diet and environmental factors, plus other things I may not even to be aware of.

NotTooLate

Jun 10, 2017
Alvechurch
toolate.blog
Morning all...

Canary... you are right, what is in today... might not tomorrow!

Lawson58... I'm terrible... I seem to like all the bad things.. chocolate, cheese, meat, milk, a bit of drinking some times :rolleyes: and I did use to smoke!
I'm 65 and the youngest of 9. My oldest brother Eddy, die last year of leukaemia, but for the rest.. still fighting fit. The strange thing is... most of them smoke, drink and eat anything and everything! Another odd one... some of them are thin... slim... sounds better and some are on the large size! :eek: So why is that? I would say... I'm what you would call athletic build ;)

I have tried diets can cutting back and all those things, but I just didn't have the will power till now... I think!

I grew up on jam sandwiches..... I think if I had what is called a proper diet.. I would be 9 foot 6 now!:rolleyes:

Canadian Joanne... it isn't going to be one thing... we are different, some of us seem to deal with food and eating differently... and stay slim sometimes!o_O It's seem to be the same with everything... we are so complex that there isn't one answer.

Simple diet, eat and enjoy the experience and get someone else to do it all! :D

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Morning all...

Canary... you are right, what is in today... might not tomorrow!

Lawson58... I'm terrible... I seem to like all the bad things.. chocolate, cheese, meat, milk, a bit of drinking some times :rolleyes: and I did use to smoke!
I'm 65 and the youngest of 9. My oldest brother Eddy, die last year of leukaemia, but for the rest.. still fighting fit. The strange thing is... most of them smoke, drink and eat anything and everything! Another odd one... some of them are thin... slim... sounds better and some are on the large size! :eek: So why is that? I would say... I'm what you would call athletic build ;)

I have tried diets can cutting back and all those things, but I just didn't have the will power till now... I think!

I grew up on jam sandwiches..... I think if I had what is called a proper diet.. I would be 9 foot 6 now!:rolleyes:

Canadian Joanne... it isn't going to be one thing... we are different, some of us seem to deal with food and eating differently... and stay slim sometimes!o_O It's seem to be the same with everything... we are so complex that there isn't one answer.

Simple diet, eat and enjoy the experience and get someone else to do it all! :D
One of the kids I went to school with was 6 foot 3 inches tall, nothing but skin and bone and used to eat a large block of chocolate every day and never put on weight.

I have a few favorite old things in my wardrobe (20 years old some of them) and I still fit into them. I think I am designed to be this size so don't worry about it.

john51

Apr 26, 2014
Dunstable, Bedfordshire
Humans are omnivores. We have teeth that make us able to eat both animal and plant. That is what is normal.
Since being diagnosed I eat a balance omnivorous diet.
I have made some changes as I am diabetic, and so have changed the amount of sugar and carbs

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB2CAN