Difficulty tapping into joy

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
I have not been coming to TP or posting too much the last few months. (I did post about the employee recently)
After many years of doing my best with acceptance and finding moments of joy (we have been in this process since 2002), I am really worn out. I am quite lucky and have said many times here that I have fairly good support. But the efforts of maintaining that support, ie thru constant replenishing of carers thru the interview, hiring and submission to authorities process is a bit tiring in and of itself.

Just recently my OH is starting to real problems with spacial awareness. When he is walking (which he is still doing quite a bit of but this is more limited than it used to be) and with toilets. He is starting to just urinate on the floor....not so much at home although it has happened but particularly when we are visiting homes of our daughter and friends. My sweet daughters response was, " oh mom, you are just going to have to carry paper towels and bacterial floor wipes when you visit people." She meant it as a positive solution. But you know I am just tired of living with solutions....it is easier to stay at home. But that means, I stay at home more and more and I see that is what is happening to me. I am losing the will and the drive to keep pushing forward..and sustaining my own interests hobbies and pleasures.

We had a scary event recently. We had taken a long walk about 2.5 hours and then went into town for some shopping. After shopping, I decided we could take the tram. Our bodies were side by side and I think probably touching. I had to let two people off the tram and my hands were full with shopping. I got on and started looking for seats together. I turned and to tell Nick to get in first, only to see him out on the platform, doors closing and the tram pulled away. Luckily, it was only about 3 blocks to the next stop, and I was able to run back to the last platform. And he was awaiting there very anxious and upset....but there. I was exhausted.

I still make sure that he bathes daily and is meticulously turned out.....so when people first see him they are always so impressed with how good and handsome he still is. Shaved, hair trimmed, manicured. I take pride in that he looks so good.....but he is completely vacant and very anxious if I am not right with him. People quickly realize that he is completely disabled now---whereas he could get along for many years sort of getting by with his dementia. No longer.

I think I shared here that our little grandson who was born in November is being christened with his grandfathers full name in June. I have decided that it is now out of the question to attend. Too much for us both. But it is a great disappointment for me. I love Norway, also, we have another grandbaby who arrived yesterday a little girl it would have given us an opportunity to meet both these new members of our family...but it is not to be. But it is about accepting that this is where we are now....and I can only do so much.
As Nick's neuropsychiatrist says "No grand gestures," which has so far been good advice.

Those of you who have known me over the years here at Talking Point, know that I am a lemons to lemonade kind of gal. But I am really really tired at the moment. I am struggling to remain grateful for all that I do have. But like the heroine of Gone with the Wind.....Tomorrow is another Day.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Much of what you write suggests Nick is at the same stage as my husband apart from better mobility. It is mentally exhausting trying to remain civilised and part of a bigger picture in society. We are shrinking daily while I try to keep my head above water.

My daughters are very much on top of everything and so to be able to talk with them when they phone I like to read contemporary works and follow TV films and documentaries that we can talk about. It would be easier to just vegetate but if I ever start to do that it will be the beginning of the end.

Without dementia in the mix I would just live my life regardless.

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
Joy! What is JOY! I feel I have forgotten how to feel and enjoy anything that resembles joy!
OH now home from hospital......a little joyI thought but sooooooooo much trepidation as I really knew what was coming!
It’s not his fault, but it’s not mine either.......life is now a round of sleep.......sort out everything in his life.......then sleep again!
This proud, caring and sociable man now is reliant on others for everything........he has no mobility......no empathy..his universe is ‘him’ and right now!
I try hard to find joy in the simple things, the delight of the blue tits nesting in the tree trunk we see from the window, I mention to him and nothing in response...I likes the TV but he will watch ‘his’ programme frequently without any sound so nothing to comment on......his dementia I am told is mild?????but is worsening!
I love this man with all my heart but hate the fact that joy and joyous things have departed from our life!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
No! Joy was not in my experience when I was a primary carer for my husband. I was just thankful to be able to keep my head above water.

Deep and utter tiredness seems to be nearer the norm than joy.

I doubt I have experienced joy since he died either. I`m trying to make the most of my life and shrug off moments of deep sadness knowing them to be completely normal. If I`m able to do this I`m thankful.

I wasn`t able to read one book while caring for my husband at home. Everything we did was to try to make life better for him. If I managed that it made life better for me too.

I feel so deeply for everyone who is living this life now.

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
Hi @PalSal ,
I am sorry if I sound blunt (as you know, English isn't my language, in Italian I might be softer), but can I ask you if you have ever taken into consideration you might need a care home for your OH?
You sound exhausted and the situation seems to be too hard for you to cope with. I am worried about you

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
Hi @PalSal ,
I am sorry if I sound blunt (as you know, English isn't my language, in Italian I might be softer), but can I ask you if you have ever taken into consideration you might need a care home for your OH?
You sound exhausted and the situation seems to be too hard for you to cope with. I am worried about you
@margherita. Yes, I have looked into care facilities now - and am going to visit one or two. But like you it is a financial consideration and the longer I can put it off, the better position I will be in myself in the future. And it is so day by day....if I have a few things to forward to I get through my days...one at a time. I must wait for some of my footwork to be finished.... I have still not received my actual passport yet from the Swiss. Once that happens I can apply to relinquish my US citizenship. these processes will once in place will hopefully put me in a better legal position.
Luckily, my hubby is normally sweet and gentle, I have been so fortunate there that his sweet nature has remained ( we have only had a couple of instances where his frustration lead to difficulties in all these years....I am so blessed.)
Thank you for your concern, it is very sweet....but am really tired it is true, but I am strong and will get through what I must do to get to the other side.
How are things for you? I read a post which said you were going to make some big changes. Have you started that process?

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Your day out sounded so exhausting, perhaps just let go a bit, relax and rest a bit more.
Do less but choose the quality things that bring you satisfaction.
Must go not have such a good start, I have been woken with a bang!
Thinking of you take care. X

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
Hi Palsal,
apologies for my original posting.....I was so self centred thinking that I had no joy! I can only express that I can fully understand your sentiments and emotions.
Of course your main concerns are your OH but oh how it hurts when you cannot be part of family celebrations.( I have like you finally accepted this, but still think and feel not being able to attend eldest grandchild's wedding was one of my saddest days!)
BUT ????Many Congratulations on your new additions, nothing like a baby to bring love and happiness! It also ensure that ‘the family’ continues and proves that however we feel and whatever happens in our lives something of us will go on! What a wonderful honour for baby to be christened will grandfather names.
You sound a strong and caring lady........looking after OH and importantly yourself! Keeping up interests etc.... is problem as the dependency of others is so draining that often it’s just to much to even try......but by the sound of your post you are trying...........
I wish you strength, positivity and peaceful times ahead.
Regards x

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
My husband has late onset unlike yours with whom you have been suffering for so long. But length of time becomes meaningless with this disease and I also find that I am doing all the same things for my husband as you are @PalSal although unlike your husband, he can’t walk more than about a mile at most and is then exhausted. He is just the same, anxious wanting reassurance about everything he does and only contented quietly at home so I feel trapped. Joy is not a frequent visitor. What I am finding is that I am suddenly being overwhelmed by grief for a few minutes and then I carry on and am quite philosophical and rational especially with other people, who are completely floored by this disease and keep thinking they can do something. It hits unexpectedly, a piece of music, a random memory or someone being empathetic and caring. It’s horrible and spontaneous so I can’t control it. I remember this happening when my mother was dying so I suppose it’s a human response to emotional trauma but that doesn’t make it any easier. It happened yesterday at the care home lunch, I suddenly looked at him and saw this damaged vulnerable man, who enjoyed his lunch and ate well but who barely knew what was happening. Fellow feeling on TP does relieve the agony a bit xx

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I once read that you need 3 things to be happy:
1. Something to do (a job or a purpose of some sort)
2. Someone to love (or something!)
3. Something to look forward to.

The last one is often the hardest to achieve. Most of us have too much to do already, albeit things we don't necessarily want to be doing. At my lowest point a year ago, I got my kitten Roly-Poly (I now have his older sister too!) and can honestly say he put so much joy, smiles and happiness into my life every day, he was my saviour. So that's my 'someone to love'.

For something to look forward to, I have my tiny back garden. It might seem a small thing but it offers new life, change and the promise of great things to come in the summer!

I'm also looking forward to retirement but they keep moving the goalposts! :mad:

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak

The last one is often the hardest to achieve. Most of us have too much to do already, albeit things we don't necessarily want to be doing. At my lowest point a year ago, I got my kitten Roly-Poly (I now have his older sister too!) and can honestly say he put so much joy, smiles and happiness into my life every day, he was my saviour. So that's my 'someone to love'.

For something to look forward to, I have my tiny back garden. It might seem a small thing but it offers new life, change and the promise of great things to come in the summer!

I'm also looking forward to retirement but they keep moving the goalposts! :mad:

I've just re-read my post and was surprised at how positive it is (for me!) Despite the above, I don't always manage to keep things together. On my blacker days my maxim is this one:

'Life's a b*tch, then you die'.

I hope you can find that joy, @PalSal . Sometimes it is very well hidden, but you are resourceful and stronger than you think. You will prevail.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia

1. I have plenty to do but it's not what I want to do.
2. I have my family, my pets and a few friends to love.
3. Not much to look forward to, just more of the same.

I really admire people who can, after years of caring, still find positives in their lives, that illusive something to look forward to.

I had been checking out a new activity that I was interested in doing but then my husband's health had a bit of a downturn and I have had to put that on hold. In the last two weeks he has had six appointments at skin clinic, and others with the doctor, podiatrist, pathology and the dentist. I seem to always have to have him somewhere or other every day, add on the usual shopping and normal stuff and when I get everything done, I just want to sit.

I dream of being able to take off for trip somewhere but that's what it is, just a dream.

Starbright

Apr 8, 2018
No! Joy was not in my experience when I was a primary carer for my husband. I was just thankful to be able to keep my head above water.

Deep and utter tiredness seems to be nearer the norm than joy.

I doubt I have experienced joy since he died either. I`m trying to make the most of my life and shrug off moments of deep sadness knowing them to be completely normal. If I`m able to do this I`m thankful.

I wasn`t able to read one book while caring for my husband at home. Everything we did was to try to make life better for him. If I managed that it made life better for me too.

I feel so deeply for everyone who is living this life now.
Thank you, you have so eloquently put into words my life now as I care for my husband @Grannie G ..this morning has been particularly bad and I’m struggling ...hospital appointment this afternoon so not sure how it’s going to pan out .(( hugs )) A x

Starbright

Apr 8, 2018
I have not been coming to TP or posting too much the last few months. (I did post about the employee recently)
After many years of doing my best with acceptance and finding moments of joy (we have been in this process since 2002), I am really worn out. I am quite lucky and have said many times here that I have fairly good support. But the efforts of maintaining that support, ie thru constant replenishing of carers thru the interview, hiring and submission to authorities process is a bit tiring in and of itself.

Just recently my OH is starting to real problems with spacial awareness. When he is walking (which he is still doing quite a bit of but this is more limited than it used to be) and with toilets. He is starting to just urinate on the floor....not so much at home although it has happened but particularly when we are visiting homes of our daughter and friends. My sweet daughters response was, " oh mom, you are just going to have to carry paper towels and bacterial floor wipes when you visit people." She meant it as a positive solution. But you know I am just tired of living with solutions....it is easier to stay at home. But that means, I stay at home more and more and I see that is what is happening to me. I am losing the will and the drive to keep pushing forward..and sustaining my own interests hobbies and pleasures.

We had a scary event recently. We had taken a long walk about 2.5 hours and then went into town for some shopping. After shopping, I decided we could take the tram. Our bodies were side by side and I think probably touching. I had to let two people off the tram and my hands were full with shopping. I got on and started looking for seats together. I turned and to tell Nick to get in first, only to see him out on the platform, doors closing and the tram pulled away. Luckily, it was only about 3 blocks to the next stop, and I was able to run back to the last platform. And he was awaiting there very anxious and upset....but there. I was exhausted.

I still make sure that he bathes daily and is meticulously turned out.....so when people first see him they are always so impressed with how good and handsome he still is. Shaved, hair trimmed, manicured. I take pride in that he looks so good.....but he is completely vacant and very anxious if I am not right with him. People quickly realize that he is completely disabled now---whereas he could get along for many years sort of getting by with his dementia. No longer.

I think I shared here that our little grandson who was born in November is being christened with his grandfathers full name in June. I have decided that it is now out of the question to attend. Too much for us both. But it is a great disappointment for me. I love Norway, also, we have another grandbaby who arrived yesterday a little girl it would have given us an opportunity to meet both these new members of our family...but it is not to be. But it is about accepting that this is where we are now....and I can only do so much.
As Nick's neuropsychiatrist says "No grand gestures," which has so far been good advice.

Those of you who have known me over the years here at Talking Point, know that I am a lemons to lemonade kind of gal. But I am really really tired at the moment. I am struggling to remain grateful for all that I do have. But like the heroine of Gone with the Wind.....Tomorrow is another Day.
Hello @PalSal , your are so right “Tomorrow is another day “ but first we all have to get through today and as always we do albeit sometimes a desperate struggle ...have a((Hug)) Ax