Nursing Homes

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hi!

I don't want to give too much information a way here but do nursing homes allow children to visit their grandparents with severe dementia? I am not talking about care homes here.

M

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Generally, yes

Exceptions could be that it is known that visits distress the resident or in the case of homes with residents displaying challenging behaviour concerns that it might distress the children.

Last edited:

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
It was encouraged in dad's NH..it was felt important that residents continued to see a mixture of relatives/friends and ages just as they would have done is still at home even during an illness decline. However this must always be with the best interests of both resident and young person in mind as it can lead to causing distress for some...either child directly seeing challenging behaviour that may upset them or resident unsettled by such a visit.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I don't think there is a hard and fast rule, it's for the parents to decide.
It's not about the person you're going to visit it's about the other residents too, they'll be there too.
People do bring very small children into the EMI nursing home my wife is in and I do sometimes wonder about how good an idea that is sometimes.
Bad language, shouting and other anti social behaviour isn't too uncommon nor is exposing yourself, it must be hard for children to understand how such "socially unacceptable" can be normal and if the person they are visiting won't be like that some day.
That said the none EMI nursing unit is a whole different place, much calmer because they don't take the; walkers, biters, spitters, random wee'ers, shouters and al the rest so I'd happily say yes to the nursing unit but maybe not to the EMI nursing unit.
One of the carers brings her grandchild in after school for an hour or so quite often, she has her tea (northern, evening meal) there then her parents collect her. Personally I don't think it's a good idea to do that but she's happy to.
K

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
My dad was in a unit for people with Dementia and challenging behaviour and I saw some people bring young children in and actually the residents seemed to behave themselves when they were around and enjoyed seeing them. They never stayed too long though.

They were the same with the resident cat and when people brought their dogs in, the atmosphere in the unit always seemed to change for the better. A lady brought her baby in once and my dad was fascinated watching her, he actually thought it was me as a baby and called my name, which he hadn’t said or remembered for well over a year.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear Elle,

Your dad sounds so lovely! I found the symptoms of dementia terrifying at first but then I have also find it amazing what dad does remember. That said he identifies with small children better than some adults now and I understand that most nursing homes are like your dad's and encourage children and pets.

MaNaAk