feeling so exhausted

WanderingMary

Oct 18, 2017
I don't really know quite why I'm posting other than to let off steam. I've been trying to cope with my mother's mental health issues and dementia for close to five years without any support. I have spoken to the doctor's several times, but because she passes the basic capacity test - month, year etc - they keep telling her 'there's absolutely nothing wrong with her mind'. Despite the fact that she is increasingly confused and forgetful and violent. It's the anger and violence I find so hard to cope with, and after so many years I'm close to breaking point.

This evening simply because I disagreed about a switch having been on or off, and only in a very conversational way, we had a major explosion which, as usual, resulted in her telling me she hates me, I'm vile, evil, selfish, horrible as well as hitting me repeatedly, clawing at my eyes and pushing me down the stairs. I'm not reacting as well as I should. I'm not violent or angry, but I've started to defend myself sometimes and that makes things worse. But it's so hard to listen to how much I'm hated, and sick in the head, and to be pushed down the stairs, quite frankly. I feel very close to being unwell myself now. But wherever I look for help, it never seems to be available.

The most recent was losing the opportunity for a visitor through the social prescribing service because although the doctor had referred my mother, because she doesn't have a formal diagnosis of dementia and because she - completely inaccurately - told them she has lots of friends and visitors (in fact we've had four this year, two of which stayed for less than ten minutes), she wasn't eligible.

I'm so desperate for help. I have notes left for me after an 'episode' telling me how vile I am, at great length as well as the verbal and physical violence. I'm not sure I have the resilience to keep going, but I just don't know what to do. I don't want my mother sectioned or carted off against her will, but nobody will offer me a gentle and kind alternative. So I'm left alone with it all. I have no family and no help at all.

Well, that's me finished and at least I've let off a little steam. Thank you for 'listening'.

Dosey

Nov 27, 2017
Hi WanderingMary
So sorry to hear you are having such a difficult time with your mother. Do you live in your mothers house? Can you move out for a few days? Contact Social services and ask for an urgent assessment of needs for you and your mother. They have a duty of care to both of you. It is not safe if your mother is being violent towards you. Tell them you are leaving and can't take anymore. Be honest with them before you are seriously hurt.
Your mother clearly in need of professional help, see is showing some signs of dementia or mental health.
Please don't feel guilty none of this I'd your fault. Keep posting on here, this is a great place for advice and support.
Take care
Rose x

WanderingMary

Oct 18, 2017
Hi WanderingMary
So sorry to hear you are having such a difficult time with your mother. Do you live in your mothers house? Can you move out for a few days? Contact Social services and ask for an urgent assessment of needs for you and your mother. They have a duty of care to both of you. It is not safe if your mother is being violent towards you. Tell them you are leaving and can't take anymore. Be honest with them before you are seriously hurt.
Your mother clearly in need of professional help, see is showing some signs of dementia or mental health.
Please don't feel guilty none of this I'd your fault. Keep posting on here, this is a great place for advice and support.
Take care
Rose x
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, and for your thoughtfulness and advice. I do appreciate it.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @WanderingMary, that sounds like a dreadful situation.

I don't recognise the phrase "social prescribing service". Are you based in the UK? I only ask as your location may be relevant to the advice members can give.

WanderingMary

Oct 18, 2017
Hello @WanderingMary, that sounds like a dreadful situation.

I don't recognise the phrase "social prescribing service". Are you based in the UK? I only ask as your location may be relevant to the advice members can give.
It's a service provided by Age UK, but triggered by a referral from a GP. I'm based in Worcestershire. I think it's quite a new initiative, and not sure how widespread.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
It's a service provided by Age UK, but triggered by a referral from a GP. I'm based in Worcestershire. I think it's quite a new initiative, and not sure how widespread.
Ah, I'm based in NI so maybe we don't have it here.

I think it's important to deal with this aggression and also protect yourself. I think that a chat with the GP, in which you outline the aggression, is a good start.

There's a Factsheet about this issue and in the hope that you can get some advice from it here's a link to it https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/sites...ctsheet_dementia_and_aggressive_behaviour.pdf

I have often seen it advised to have a safe room, with a safe exit, available and keep a phone to hand in case help needs to be summoned.

This may seem like a step too far. However, I have read that it can be useful to report any physical assault to the police as they will record that and this can be useful as a paper trail if you ever seek assistance from Social Services in the future.

If you want to talk it through with anyone the experts on the help line can be good, details as follows

National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22
Our helpline advisers are here for you.
Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

Live on-line advice is also available in the UK and you can see the details of that if you follow this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/national-dementia-helpline/live-online-advice