ideas for card games please

mushypeas

Jan 26, 2019
I want to ask about card games that I can play with my Mum when we are out in cafes etc. Please help. Thanks

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Id go for really simple games of the sort that you teach children. Snap is good, but might be too noisy for a cafe. You could try Begger My Neighbour and Old Maid/Donkey, or do a patience between you

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
My mum plays connect 4 with the kids (and still beats them - no one else can beat son - a few adults tried hard on holiday)

5 years ago when the kids tried to play snap and other card games with her she didn't recognise classic snap and happy family card sets and would only play with a traditional set of playing cards.

My mum also plays a board game called blokus with the kids, she beat them a couple of weeks a go, although they did have to re explain the rules every time it was her turn (and every time we told her it was her birthday she was incredulous).

What suits one doesn't suit another.

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
This card game is quite simple and repetitive and you could do most of the work. I did play it with my dad occasionally. Draughts was also quite good and simple to play.

This is a game for 2 players who have an uncertain amount of time to pass.

A dealer is chosen, using whatever means both players consider fair. There are no trumps or tricks or melds and the game can last a mere few minutes or, if the Gods wish it, it can last for half a life time. The game's duration is totally dependent on the run of the cards, as is the name of the winner.

The cards are shuffled, cut and dealt in the normal manner so that each player has 26 cards. The alternative to dealing is to make an accurate cut so that each player has half the pack. If the cut is not strictly accurate, then it doesn't really matter. Each player holds his stack of cards in his hand face down.

The non-dealer plays the top card from his stack, face up onto the table. The opponent plays his top card, face up on top of the other card. Play continues alternately, until either, an Ace or a picture card is played. When an Ace or picture card is played, the next player must play consecutively, either one, two, three or four cards.

How many cards are played is dependent on which card was played previously. That is, he plays four cards to an Ace, 3 cards to a King, 2 cards to a Queen and 1 card to a Jack. If in playing a series of cards a player plays either an Ace or a picture card, he stops playing his cards and his opponent plays.

Play continues thus until one player does not play an Ace or a picture card to his opponents Ace or picture card. His opponent wins the stack and collects the cards and places them face down to the bottom of the stack of cards in his hand and leads to the next sortie.

The winner, eventually, is the player who wins all the cards or has the most cards in his hand

mushypeas

Jan 26, 2019
Thanks so much for your kind and thoughtful replies everyone and for taking the time. I am new to this and still trying to work out how to add posts and replies. Thanks again.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
This card game is quite simple and repetitive and you could do most of the work. I did play it with my dad occasionally. Draughts was also quite good and simple to play.

This is a game for 2 players who have an uncertain amount of time to pass.

A dealer is chosen, using whatever means both players consider fair. There are no trumps or tricks or melds and the game can last a mere few minutes or, if the Gods wish it, it can last for half a life time. The game's duration is totally dependent on the run of the cards, as is the name of the winner.

The cards are shuffled, cut and dealt in the normal manner so that each player has 26 cards. The alternative to dealing is to make an accurate cut so that each player has half the pack. If the cut is not strictly accurate, then it doesn't really matter. Each player holds his stack of cards in his hand face down.

The non-dealer plays the top card from his stack, face up onto the table. The opponent plays his top card, face up on top of the other card. Play continues alternately, until either, an Ace or a picture card is played. When an Ace or picture card is played, the next player must play consecutively, either one, two, three or four cards.

How many cards are played is dependent on which card was played previously. That is, he plays four cards to an Ace, 3 cards to a King, 2 cards to a Queen and 1 card to a Jack. If in playing a series of cards a player plays either an Ace or a picture card, he stops playing his cards and his opponent plays.

Play continues thus until one player does not play an Ace or a picture card to his opponents Ace or picture card. His opponent wins the stack and collects the cards and places them face down to the bottom of the stack of cards in his hand and leads to the next sortie.

The winner, eventually, is the player who wins all the cards or has the most cards in his hand

I was going to suggest that one. We always called it 'Strip Jack Naked' - no idea why!

brambles

Sep 22, 2014
NW England
@Elle3 Just wanted to thank you for posting this card game " strip Jack naked " I tried it today with mum, who has very poor sight . We used large playing cards and she, amazingly, managed really well. She absolutely loved it and was more animated than I have seen her for weeks. A great success.
I really struggle to find things to do with her, so I am delighted too. X

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
@Elle3 Just wanted to thank you for posting this card game " strip Jack naked " I tried it today with mum, who has very poor sight . We used large playing cards and she, amazingly, managed really well. She absolutely loved it and was more animated than I have seen her for weeks. A great success.
I really struggle to find things to do with her, so I am delighted too. X
Really pleased to hear that. Glad you both enjoyed it. X