Deprivation of Liberty help please?

Lady Eleanor

Jul 1, 2015
West Wickham, Kent
Just when I thought things were settling OK. My mother has been in a care home since the 26th January this year. She has Alzheimer's & although she sometimes says she's going home, or isn't planning on staying there she was settling well.
I had a phone today from the DOL assessor who tells me she has been to see my Mum & assessed her & she finds her borderline. She happened to see her on the day she arrived back at the care home following an overnight stay in hospital after a fall & cut to her head. Apparently she was feisty, nothing new there but said she was incarcerated & in a prison & arrived at the care home after being manhandled.
I explained the reason she is there is because she was doubly incontinent, went out in her dressing gown & could not take of herself. Despite our best effort we could not have her living in her own home any longer. My brother & I both have power of attorney for health & welfare & property & finance.
I find this quite insulting as we have always had & do have my mother's best interest at the forefront of everything we do & also know that it is our duty as POA's. So these people are allowed to just turn up & see residents without any pre-arranging.
I hadn't even heard of DOL before today so any advice would be great. I have read the posts on this forum & the lady I spoke to today has also sent me a lot of information. But, If anyone has had a similar situation occur I would love to hear it.

Thank you,

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Please don't be insulted. A DOLS (the S stands for Safeguarding and is important) is completely standard in hospitals and care homes where there is concern about someone's mental capacity. Sure, they ought to inform you, but they have a job to do and not much time to do it in. Nothing here is personal and meant as a slight against you.

Did she explain what her final verdict is - DOLS or no DOLS? If your mother is borderline, will she visit her again or take your comments into consideration?

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
My husband’s first DOLS was carried out without my knowledge. He was in a nursing home. It was my fault I was not there. They had tried to contact me on my mobile and I had ignored the calls because I did not recognise the number. There were three calls in all. The lady then called me on the landline and explained and I was happy with what had happened. It was my fault.

My landline was now on their records and I attended all the other annual meetings. They really are thorough and their aim is to safeguard everyone in the care home. They checked everything, care plan, medication and they talked to Carers and myself. They also talked to my husband even though they knew he was incapable of relying. My husband could still be taken out but he would never be allowed out on his own.

Lady Eleanor

Jul 1, 2015
West Wickham, Kent
Thank you. I did wonder if it was a standard thing as the DOL assessor said she saw 2 other residents at the care home the same day as my mother. She explained that she was the assessor & that my mother would be seen by a gp/psychiatrist who would do an independent assessment & make a decision.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet