Where should Name Labels on clothes go?

rainbowcat

Oct 14, 2015
Hi all,

After my recent thread about name labels, they have now arrived (I went for the rivets and sewn labels option - loving it!)...

My father isn't currently in a care home (he has a communal laundry room, and his clothes keep going walkies, hence name labels!) BUT I only want to apply these once, so if in the near future he ends up in a care home, I don't want to be having to re-apply them all. SO where would care home laundries usually prefer the labels to be applied?

Last edited:

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
I am not sure if care homes have a preference, I think they are usually happy for things to be labelled - sewn on tends to be more hard wearing.

Depending on how your PWD feels I would aim for somewhere not too obvious as you don't always want labels to be visible.

I go for where the label tape often is at the back of the neck on tops or waistband of trousers, I think it helps laundries to have them in the same place. On socks, I try to put the label under the foot, so it is less obvious, Mummy doesn't walk much so it isn't likely to be uncomfortable. If he is walking, perhaps around the ankle bit.

I sew all around the label edge to be hardwearing, but I like sewing.....

For many inanimate objects - brush, comb etc I write her name on with a sharpie pen - works pretty well.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Regarding socks, I used to put the labels on the side of the socks, not underfoot, as I felt that having a label underfoot would be irritating. This I did even after my mother was in a wheelchair. I was trying to avoid as many irritations/annoyances as possible.

rainbowcat

Oct 14, 2015
Regarding socks, I used to put the labels on the side of the socks, not underfoot, as I felt that having a label underfoot would be irritating. This I did even after my mother was in a wheelchair. I was trying to avoid as many irritations/annoyances as possible.

This is also a factor in my wondering where to put them. The bottom hem of t-shirts would be least irritating, but I don't think people look here for name labels - unless I had them visible on the outside (like folded over the hem) which might be an option?

rainbowcat

Oct 14, 2015
I am not sure if care homes have a preference, I think they are usually happy for things to be labelled - sewn on tends to be more hard wearing.

Depending on how your PWD feels I would aim for somewhere not too obvious as you don't always want labels to be visible.

I go for where the label tape often is at the back of the neck on tops or waistband of trousers, I think it helps laundries to have them in the same place. On socks, I try to put the label under the foot, so it is less obvious, Mummy doesn't walk much so it isn't likely to be uncomfortable. If he is walking, perhaps around the ankle bit.

I sew all around the label edge to be hardwearing, but I like sewing.....

For many inanimate objects - brush, comb etc I write her name on with a sharpie pen - works pretty well.

Thanks, yes I was thinking more of the laundries/ preferences, I don't really want to have to relabel everything because I've made a boo boo :D

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
I think Canadian Joanne is right about socks - I am lucky that Mummy doesn't walk much so it doesn't irritate her. I think where she suggests is better.
T shirts I think back of the neck is the best bet, I sew them down so that there are no loose edges. Mummy has never complained that anything is uncomfortable. That said, you still need to keep an eye as I found someone elses (carefully labelled) t shirt in my Mum's wardrobe.
I find socks are a real pain to sew labels onto but an old fashioned darning mushroom helps.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
...then there are those of us with a slightly different attitude - stick-in labels and bu**er the socks - I'll buy new ones if hers go missing... :oops::rolleyes::D

The worst part is that I CAN sew - Mrs Hope (feared needlework mistress) may have been a mean old dragon but she taught me well. She can't make me do it now though!

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
I have used a special pen and where I could I have written the Banjoman’s name on any label inside his clothing, the washing directions on a side hem are good. Otherwise i’ve sewn labels on a waist band of trousers and pants or inside the neckline of shirts and jumpers.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
...then there are those of us with a slightly different attitude - stick-in labels and bu**er the socks - I'll buy new ones if hers go missing... :oops::rolleyes::D

I am more of that frame of mind myself!
I put the name labels where I would expect to find them myself - so where a clothes label would usually be, back of neck or waistband. If the clothes label was still on the garment I would put the name label on that - I used iron on, or stick on.
Socks are tricky because they are stretchy, especially the bits round the ankles. I put the label on underfoot and my mother doesn't seem to mind.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I used iron on labels for my husband's clothing - in the back neck of shirts, waistband of trousers. As long as you follow the instructions exactly, those labels are never coming off! In fact, when my husband died, after eleven months in the nursing home, a lot of his clothes had to go for recycling rather than charity shops, as I couldn't get the labels off! Underwear and socks, i just wrote on them directly, with a fine tip permanent pen - the one that came with the labels, in fact, so I knew it wouldn't wash out.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I used to attach the clip-on tags to the clothes labels - they were still attached and legible after 3 years in her care home!
Socks - I used to attach the tag to the top of the sock. She always wore trousers which covered the tops.

BTW, if you use the clip-on labels I recommend that you take a nail file to any rough edges :cool:

rainbowcat

Oct 14, 2015

The worst part is that I CAN sew - Mrs Hope (feared needlework mistress) may have been a mean old dragon but she taught me well. She can't make me do it now though!

LOL! - my dad doesn't wear socks anyway, he's housebound and literally goes nowhere (trying to change that but it's a slow process via social services) - he wears t-shirts and pants every day, and a jumper if he feels chilly.

rainbowcat

Oct 14, 2015
I used to attach the clip-on tags to the clothes labels - they were still attached and legible after 3 years in her care home!
Socks - I used to attach the tag to the top of the sock. She always wore trousers which covered the tops.

BTW, if you use the clip-on labels I recommend that you take a nail file to any rough edges :cool:

Thank you! :) Yes they're the rivetted ones (I love these!) and have already found a metal nail file is very handy when applying or removing them!

I know I may have been overthinking this whole labels thing, but I really didn't want to put them somewhere NOW that could potentially mean a whole load more work in the future!

Thanks everyone :)

j.s.king

Oct 23, 2017
Southampton , England
Im in the process of labelling dads clothes for his first respite visit to a care home and am using iron on labels but i worried that these on his underpants would irritate him and come off with the creams the carers apply to his bottom ( chair bound) . So have spent the last few nights sewing his name into the back of his pants. i would say embroidering but as i have very limited sewing skills i'm just happy that the lettering legible and will hopefully survive the bum creams and laundering!

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I sat and cut up a childs blue gingham school dress into strips and back stitched my mothers name in 1/2 inch letters, ironed the edges and sides in and sewed in such as cardigans. Not so much for the carers/laundry lady, but in the vague hope that she would realise it was hers, or someone else would realise it wasn't hers.

Laundry thought it was great, big bold and obvious- not something that everyone could do.
Good 'cottage industry ' for anyone that could.

Bolo

Oct 5, 2017
I needed to label my mother’s clothes when in respite care. I was nervous about labelling her clothes thinking she would be annoyed ( with respect to the fact she may think she was being treated as a child). But funnily enough she loves seeing labels on her clothes, it helps her recognise they are hers. I found the iron on ones excellent ( especially for a poor sewer!). They stay on in spite of numerous clothes washing.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
I've put mums where they can easily be seen - on the neckband of jumpers/blouses, waistband of trousers/pants, and at the back of socks. Mum, unfortunately has spotted the ones on the socks and has made it her mission to remove the label because they are stupid (her words)

padmag

May 8, 2012
nottingham
I have labelled most of Richard's clothes (it's an ongoing job) as he has lost many items of clothing when in respite, left on transport bus and at the day centre. These items include hats, coats,jacket, cardigans, expensive to keep replacing. I now sew his name labels on the front of jackets cardigans shirts in fact everything he wears. I use larger half inch labels for coats and jackets. Not only can he see that it belongs to him it also means the care worker will not dress anyone else in his clothes, which did happen regularly (not any more). Normally I wouldn't dream of labelling Richard's clothes on the front but he is unaware and happy to see his name.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I now sew his name labels on the front of jackets cardigans shirts in fact everything he wears.

Well, if it is good enough for football and other sports' managers and coaches to have their names on the outside of their clothing ...

I have used Sharpies to initial my wife's clothing on the labels inside tops, jumpers, trousers, dresses, jackets, knickers and so on. This has been alright so far (respite stays and now a trial care home stay) but I am aware that washing wears the initials off so I now need a better/more durable solution that does not involve sewing. Not that I can't sew of course ...

As for socks, they are very cheap and easy to replace - as little as 25p per foot - so I haven't bothered. So long as they are clean and without holes it doesn't seem to matter to my wife whether or not they match. Buying all one colour and type makes pairing redundant anyway.

Ding Dong

May 1, 2013
I regularly found Mum wearing other people’s slippers. Or worse, Mum only in socks or bare feet and someone else wearing Mum’s slippers & totally resistant to giving them back! They were named inside, but everyone went in each other’s rooms and items often migrated. And the new owner would insist they were their slippers and refuse to take them off to let the carer check. So sewed Mum’s name tape right on the front of each slipper where every one could see at a glance.