Husband Waking at 1.00 am - thinks it it morning, gets up, showers etc.

Frenchie1

Jan 7, 2018
For the last week or so, my husband with Lewy Bodies has been going to bed as normal at about 11.00 pm only to wake up and start shaving, showering at about 1.00 am. He claims 'they' told him he had to get up but of course, I never get to know who 'they' are. I sleep in a different room so am only aware by the sound of running water etc. I have managed to get him back to bed only to find him up and fully dressed again by 7.00 am. He goes straight back to sleep but I lie awake for hours afterwards. Since this has been happening for a few nights now, we are both really tired.

I have just bought two talking clocks (not arrived yet) - one for the bedroom and one for the bathroom so he can see what time it is but I fear this will not make much difference as he will not bother to look at them.

Does anyone have any ideas how to stop this kind of thing happening at night or any solutions they have found that work! All ideas gratefully received.

wightdancer

Mar 15, 2017
Hi
I have a similar problem with my dear wife but unfortunately she can no longer tell the time.
I have a range of pills that I can give her depending on her needs ie to help calming, headaches or sleep. Some tablets she has to take daily but the sleeping pills I only use maybe once a week when her restlessness gets too much. I am sure your doctor will recognise your problem and prescribe a suitable medication.
All the best to you.

Martarita

May 11, 2018
For the last week or so, my husband with Lewy Bodies has been going to bed as normal at about 11.00 pm only to wake up and start shaving, showering at about 1.00 am. He claims 'they' told him he had to get up but of course, I never get to know who 'they' are. I sleep in a different room so am only aware by the sound of running water etc. I have managed to get him back to bed only to find him up and fully dressed again by 7.00 am. He goes straight back to sleep but I lie awake for hours afterwards. Since this has been happening for a few nights now, we are both really tired.

I have just bought two talking clocks (not arrived yet) - one for the bedroom and one for the bathroom so he can see what time it is but I fear this will not make much difference as he will not bother to look at them.

Does anyone have any ideas how to stop this kind of thing happening at night or any solutions they have found that work! All ideas gratefully received.

Hi there ,I'm sorry for what's happening to you and your husband ,we went through similar things ,only difference my husband didn't shower ,everything else he did ,but I'm sorry to tell you our dilemma never really stopped , he would do all these things oblivious to what time of night it was . Hopefully who knows maybe the clocks might help with this what he's going through it just might stop . Try to see his GP he might be able to help , I really hope you can get it sorted, I felt as though i was fighting a losing battle,forgive me I think maybe you are too , try to see his GP he just might be able to help .sorry I don't think I've help in anyway but I did go through very similar things and maybe and knowing someone has experienced this will let you know your not alone , take care my thought are with you Xx

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
This was an early stage behaviour for my husband too. He believed he was going out to work.

The solution was initially sleeping tablet Zopiclone and then a gradually increasing dose of anti depressant Trazodone.

My doctor didn’t hesitate as she said no one could keep that up. I guessed she had experience in her family as she was so sure what was needed.

Martarita

May 11, 2018
Hi
I have a similar problem with my dear wife but unfortunately she can no longer tell the time.
I have a range of pills that I can give her depending on her needs ie to help calming, headaches or sleep. Some tablets she has to take daily but the sleeping pills I only use maybe once a week when her restlessness gets too much. I am sure your doctor will recognise your problem and prescribe a suitable medication.
All the best to you.
G
This was an early stage behaviour for my husband too. He believed he was going out to work.

The solution was initially sleeping tablet Zopiclone and then a gradually increasing dose of anti depressant Trazodone.

My doctor didn’t hesitate as she said no one could keep that up. I guessed she had experience in her family as she was so sure what was needed.
Hello again , I was interested what the other cares had to say about this situation,and I'm really pleased that your Doctors listened to you and gave you help with this problem, but I got no help with it just carried on with out sleep and trying to reason with my husband and tried to tell him that it really was time to sleep to no avail, but everything was to late for us as My husbands Alzheimer's progress rapidly and he's in a care home now ,but that's another story, good look with your GP hope they can help , Take Care .Xx

Frenchie1

Jan 7, 2018
Many thanks to all of you for your thoughts and suggestions - I will arrange to see the doctor next week and will see if there is some light sleeping pill that might do the job. Since my husband is going to spend 10 days shortly in a local care home, it would be a great help if he could get into a routine and more settled before he goes..