Lack of bedding in care home ...

ChocolateBrownie

Nov 21, 2018
Although there has been a heat wave, we have yet to pack away our duvet and I am still wearing a t-shirt in bed. However, PWD is being put to bed in the care home without pajamas (just his vest and continence pads), with just a sheet (no duvet) over him (not tucked in). The lower sheet is not fitted, so I often find his bare feet on the plastic mattress.

When I arrived at 8.30 pm he complained that he was shivering, having only returned from hospital with a chest infection a few days ago.

I have explained to the care home staff on numerous occasions that he likes to be warm, tucked up tight - 'snug as a bug' was what he would say at home, and should at least be wearing a pyramid top.

The staff always say 'it was hot' or 'we have to be careful that he doesn't dehydrate' - but it seems that their strategy is to keep him cold, rather than ensuring that he has plenty of fluids.

Care home manager has made it clear she does not appreciate written complaints, and asked me to speak to staff at the time - but the message never seems to get passed on between teams.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I had the same problem for a while with elderly dad who often had a wet bed durung the night during mid incontinence stage so his bedding was changed but no duvet replaced. I spoke regularly to every carer about it and especially the night staff pointing out I and they had a duvet...dad was a night wanderer so anything to help keep him snug and staying in bed included always replacing his duvet with a dry clean one was in everyone's interest but importantly dad's. It isn't rocket science! Seemed odd to me that it was happening in a fairly good NH I was assured they always had plenty of spare clean duvets and laundery wasn't a problem...maybe different ideas not following the NH policy or just laziness..I spoke to the manager and she suggested that as well as she speaking to staff a note be put above dad's bed. I did find the note removed a couple of times but I just replaced it :D and eventually the attitude changed. It is also about continuity if practicable from what he is used to and again pjs especially for elderly..and me :D are essential for warmth and feeling cosy. I would be a bit troubled by their reasoning and want them to find a compromise solution.
Tough that the manager doesn't 'like' written complaints...if you have spoken to her and staff and nothing changes...put it in writing and as I asked..in the care plan.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Care home manager has made it clear she does not appreciate written complaints,

I`d not be too happy about this. What is put in writing becomes official and open to inspection. What does the manager need to hide?

I know most care homes are kept very warm but also many people with dementia feel the cold so if your person with dementia is complaining of being cold @ChocolateBrownie, they need to be listened to.

I supplied my husband`s bedding. Bedding was provided but was although clean was quite shabby.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I agree with @Grannie G that was my first thought about the manager's no written complaints. My dad and a lot of elderly are from a generation that are used to sheets and blankets and the cosy tucked in heaviness they provide. Up until dad went to his NH he had never had a duvet. The NH were fairly agreeable to for instance having a sheet under the duvet ...which was fairly thin anyway..plus his favourite blanket from home on top. As Dad declined with risk of falls and a constant night wanderer adjustments to the bedding was made to minimise risk of getting himself tangled and this was very sensible.The profile beds used did make the fitted sheet a bit tight but mainly stayed in place. Dad would always say he was cold and mostly never felt warm to the touch even on very hot summer days and his NH kept warm. This setting is your PWDs home and every reasonable effort should be made by staff to keep him comfortable just as though he would do if still in his own home.

ChocolateBrownie

Nov 21, 2018
Thank you so much - it is good to know that I am not over-reacting.
it makes me wonder how many other people are not dressed and covered adequately at night - and as most people visit in the afternoon, this may never be discovered.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet