Two weeks in respite care and now has head bent forwards

Mrs Ozz

Apr 20, 2011
Lincoln
Hi everyone, my hubby has just had two weeks respite and when I picked him up he was sat at a table with his head bent forward and after 4 days at home he still won’t lift his head up. He says it doesn’t hurt but I’m sure it does.....any ideas on how to treat this? He was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease over 8 years ago but has certainly deteriorated since Christmas.Thanks, I love reading the threads and finding that you’re not the only one dealing with this horrible disease. By the way, Paul went into respite at short notice....I just happened to find a care home with a vacant bed, so snatched it up as I was so exhausted......I felt so ill for the first week he was in....I guess it was because suddenly I had no caring to do but was constantly worrying about him....he is very challenging and doesn’t co operate, and then the guilt set in!!

Magicmuffin

Oct 19, 2014
Scotland
My husband’s neck became bent when he went into hospital. It happened quite quickly. Our consultant has told us that
in his case it was due to his medication - it is a side effect, I believe, of some of his meds. He is no longer on that medication but he neck is still bent,
Some days almost at a right angle.
Perhaps ask your doctor?
It’s not good to see, I know from
experience. Good luck.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Mrs Ozz

When I noticed a difference in my husband`s condition someone on TP posted this for discussion.

' Has your husband`s condition deteriorated because he was in residential care or was he in residential care because his condition has deteriorated? `

If your husband has had Alzheimer`s for 8 years and you have noticed a big change since Christmas, plus the fact caring is affecting your health, it really sounds like a natural progression.

he is very challenging and doesn’t co operate

This is why you need respite.

Mrs Ozz

Apr 20, 2011
Lincoln
My husband’s neck became bent when he went into hospital. It happened quite quickly. Our consultant has told us that
in his case it was due to his medication - it is a side effect, I believe, of some of his meds. He is no longer on that medication but he neck is still bent,
Some days almost at a right angle.
Perhaps ask your doctor?
It’s not good to see, I know from
experience. Good luck.
Thank you, I’m going to speak to his doctor today. H e just looks so uncomfortable