Assisted aid at airport

lilypat

Mar 1, 2019
Yorkshire
Hi everyone and thanks for your many suggestions, I have spoken to her 2 on phone and I have too get together with my friend who has booked the holiday (there is about 20 of us going ) and phone jet 2 with all the details and they will sort out assistance, From meeting us to seeing us through security. You may wonder why I need help with a group booking But I am determined that we are not a burden to the rest of our group. As for the travel insurance I rang staysure who we have always used pre diagnosis and insisted that they confirmed that they understood the term FTD dementia before they went ahead and sorted out our insurance. As my OH was only diagnosed in November 2018 they said it was £250.00 for a 2 week trip . Our mental health nurse take it as next year will will probably be treble that .

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The CAA have published a document about supporting people with hidden disabilities at UK airports.
http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP1629 HD - FINAL 07JUN2018.pdf

As far as I know it is still only 'guidance' and not 'mandatory' , this does not mean that airports/airlines will ignore it if brought to their attention.

The sunflower symbol on a badge
images

can be used in many places where the affected person objects to the lanyard.
Sainsbury's are trialling both the lanyard and the badge.
https://www.about.sainsburys.co.uk/news/latest-news/2018/14-08-2018-lanyards-trial

Last edited:

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Much admiration for you. I have managed to get annual travel insurance for me and my husband from AllClear insurance for our cruise holidays, which require it. That was the only company prepared to do annual and as you have found out single trip was astronomical. The annual was steep enough but because I have three trips booked, it reduces the average cost to £600 per trip covering both of us. We do virtually nothing else so I can budget for it for the holiday. We have done one cruise and I am pondering whether to do the next one in four weeks time or for him to have some respite while I go. If we do go I shall ask for assistance for hidden disabilities. He is so out of it lately that I am wondering if it is a) worth taking him and b) if it is actually fair to take him. I am taking him for lunch next week at our local care home where we have visited a couple of times.

Hi Grahamstown I have tried Allclear , Staysure well almost every one, last year we had two holidays and a cruise and got Travel Insurance for both me & wife for £188 with getgoing we have insured with them for approximately 5 years now previously we were insured through the bank they refused to take me because of dementia hence the move to getgoing towards end of last year I booked Flights for Two holidays this year I also booked the Hotels and Car Hire but with them we pay on arrival and could cancel I think its 48 hours so basically we only loose our flights unfortunately getgoing will only insure my wife which we done but I’m to much of a risk presumably because of medical condition’s :confused::confused: I was unaware of until I had a CT scan in February :eek::eek: so as I said previously I’m a fighter I rely on my E111 card ;);) not much point being down hearted or pessimistic life is a gamble :D:D

if we talked about tomorrow my dad always said were here today & gone today you can chase tomorrow all your life but it will always be today

Grahamstown I’m not you can book a cruise without insurance

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
Grahamstown I’m not you can book a cruise without insurance
No you can’t book a cruise without insurance because they need to know you are covered in case of disaster. I am the person who needs cover for existing condition, heart disease, which is quite expensive. You did well with your insurance up to now. Your chances of needing to claim are probably low. In 50 years of traveling I have claimed twice, once because our son got sick as a baby, and second when I slipped and fell and cracked my scalp open in the USA when I was very relieved to have good cover to get my head checked out. I am going to prepare for the hidden disability assistance. I had medical assistance myself several years ago and it was excellent with my husband as carer then.

Mudgee Joy

Dec 26, 2017
New South Wales Australia
We seem to be hitting another low as he is weakening by the week.

I think the long sleeping is something of a blessing - but my husband now sleeping a lot is loosing all his muscles - so a walk of a few hundred yards is as far as he can go...
Together with eating difficulties-
Last night was so bad it might make you laugh!
My husband regurgitates food sometimes (well often) and we Went to the pub for dinner - my fault - I should not have attempted it - I chose an easy soft food lasagne - he regurgitates it but continued to eat from the plate —— other people near us were almost gagging !! I quickly got him up to get him home and he sat down on the steps !! I could get him on his feet without help ! A friend helped me walk him home - needless to say I had a good cry later - still tired out today - :confused:o_O

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
Hello dear virtual friend, I think you are heroic and I feel for you as you carry on trying to help him lead some sort of life with difficulty. We went to the pub with the family last Sunday and it was ok as far as it goes but it was a struggle for him. Our son fetched him and took him home a 5 minute walk to the pub. I have taken the decision that he cannot go on the cruise in May I booked with hope last year. I have taken his name off the booking, found a care home which I like and I shall go as arranged to try and recharge my batteries. After that I shall have a better idea of how to proceed but at the moment he doesn’t need full time care other than me. I am starting to feel the psychological strain but otherwise am alright xx

Jo W

Apr 21, 2019
Hi there, Manchester Airport has. “Hidden Disabilities Scheme” it has been a godsend for me. We went to the OCS desk in Terminal 2, gave our contact details and were then given a Sunflower Lanyard. We were told to go the Priority Check in desk, when we got to security we were sent down the assistance channel, our boarding passes were scanned for us, then again fast tracked through security, we can also board the plane first with the wheelchair users. When we returned we were directed to the assistance channel going up to the immigration desks rather than having to scan our passports. The scheme is free, it has removed the stress and is fantastic.

lilypat

Mar 1, 2019
Yorkshire
Hi there, Manchester Airport has. “Hidden Disabilities Scheme” it has been a godsend for me. We went to the OCS desk in Terminal 2, gave our contact details and were then given a Sunflower Lanyard. We were told to go the Priority Check in desk, when we got to security we were sent down the assistance channel, our boarding passes were scanned for us, then again fast tracked through security, we can also board the plane first with the wheelchair users. When we returned we were directed to the assistance channel going up to the immigration desks rather than having to scan our passports. The scheme is free, it has removed the stress and is fantastic.
Jo W hi thanks for your reply that's given me hope I will manage this trip thanks

lilypat

Mar 1, 2019
Yorkshire
Hi to all who posted here with suggestions and tips about assisted aid at the airport. I am pleased to say that today along with a very nice chap on phone from jet 2 ,myself and our organizer Sylvia. We have got OH booked in at Manchester to the assisted lanyard scheme. We have got our tickets and so not long now to our 2 weeks in the sun .again many thanks for all your expert advice.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi to all who posted here with suggestions and tips about assisted aid at the airport. I am pleased to say that today along with a very nice chap on phone from jet 2 ,myself and our organizer Sylvia. We have got OH booked in at Manchester to the assisted lanyard scheme. We have got our tickets and so not long now to our 2 weeks in the sun .again many thanks for all your expert advice.

That's good news. I hope all goes well. Enjoy the sunshine when the time comes!

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
I think think that generally airport assistance can be a bit variable. From what I hear, you have to book in advance, turn up very early and even then sometimes the assistance you have booked isn't always there. Airlines vary. This applies to a a wide range of disabilities not just dementia.
I have a lot of metal work in me, always set scanners off. I was once even asked to take my shoes off. Because I have a visible physical disability and there was no chair, I couldn't do this. The security person looked at me as if I had two heads when i said could they help me.

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
Hi has anybody else ever had the assisted aid at the airport?.
We are travelling from Manchester to Spain. My OH has FTD and I am so worried about the security part of travel .
My OH is like a child I need to guide him ...always giving him directions and saying things like you need to do etc .
Any advice would be appreciated
Thank you in advance
We made one last trip to England with BA in February. My husband agreed to assistance which meant a wheelchair. He did not like it but did it. Going thru security was difficult at one point at Heathrow because the person pushing the chair told me to go into a different line. Then when security wanted him to lift his arms and stuff (follow simple instructions) and he could not....he became frightened and confused ,which results in aggression. I was one lane over and quickly came to his aid. But I would insist that you stay with your partner at all times. My hubby did fine in the end....it was our last journey together anyway.

Luz

Mar 16, 2016
At East Midlands airport I went to an office and picked up a coloured ribbon which went round my husband's neck. We got quickly through the controls. It didn't work anywhere else though.

lilypat

Mar 1, 2019
Yorkshire
@PalSal hi thanks for your reply .I have heard that sometimes it's hard work even with a assisted aid. But dont worry I am planning on sticking to him like glue .none carers just dont seem to get it ,do they .

SouWester

Dec 11, 2012
Devon
Having travelled with my OH with dementia my one tip would be pay for the up market lounge (Aspire and similar), this can be quite cheap if done when you book the ticket. The big advantage is that the loos are usually just one exit so are easy to watch if your fellow passenger has to go on their own. As for security pay the extra for a priority pass if the airport offers it. Less flustered and worth every penny.

lilypat

Mar 1, 2019
Yorkshire
Having travelled with my OH with dementia my one tip would be pay for the up market lounge (Aspire and similar), this can be quite cheap if done when you book the ticket. The big advantage is that the loos are usually just one exit so are easy to watch if your fellow passenger has to go on their own. As for security pay the extra for a priority pass if the airport offers it. Less flustered and worth every penny.
Thanks for your tips :)

Miday

Jan 28, 2019
I am on holiday with my husband in Australia. We travelled with Emirates and I could not get any help.when I contacted the airline before we left. I did get help.when we.arrived in Brisbane because my husband was in a confused state when we arrived after a very long flight. He has to have a wheelchair so we got through customs quite quickly.and.they also collected our.luggage. We are due to return home.shortly.and.I have been told to.ask for.assistance when we arrive at theterminal

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet