Missing items in Care Home

Rencat

Nov 15, 2018
Mum has now been in her CH for 9 months . Generally I am very pleased with it. The care workers are very nice and friendly and Mum seems settled most of the time. However she has a problem with things going "missing". They seem to go from her bedside table....currently we are missing hearing aids and glasses. Obviously I am getting replacements but this takes time. The CH manager did a search of all the rooms for my Mum's glasses under the pretence of doing a mass glasses clean but Mum' s glasses weren't found. I'm just worried that the replacements will go missing too. Does anyone have any idea what I can do to stop them going missing again?
I have previously worked in the care sector both with autistic adults in a residential setting then working in the private care home setting. In both places of work missing items belonging to the clients especially hearing aids etc were always going walkabout this isn’t something specific to your mums home, I’ve always said, pay peanuts and all you’ll get is staff that don’t put things back and don’t care enough to look after her things like she deserves, believe me I’ve seen this first hand. It’s time that we, the service users families demand more qualified staff who are earning more than the minimum wage ie a health care assistant working in the nhs will have a lot more opportunities than a care assistant in the private care home system. These staff often take these jobs as they didn’t get any qualifications at school and it’s the only job that they can apply for. Again I’ve seen this first hand. I’ve seen some horrendous things, six staff in a home with 38 residents and only two staff members on the night shift. I had to whistle blow in the end and leave as I refused to wake the poor residents up at 6am as we were expected to get half of the residents up by the time our shift ended at 7.30 am . If we didn’t we would expect the cold shoulder from the day staff. I’ve gone on a bit And until the government make it harder for any Tom, Dick or Harry to apply then they will. Sorry for ranting on a bit but I feel passionate about it and my partner now has this dreadful disease

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
I think I've confused you ...i think it's one of the residents who has popped into Mum's room and 'moved' the Hearing Aids i dont think the problem is caused by lack of care by the staff . ( I cant be sure Mum doesn't pop into other residents rooms) The staff in Mum's care home have regular training.

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
The latest thing of my mums to go 'missing' is her wheelchair! Haven't seen it for over a month now. Has happened before a few times but not for this long. Getting fed up of asking about it as get impression it's not that important to carers as they seem to use anyone's wheelchair that happens to be around.
There is a new resident that wanders into everyone's rooms. He came into mums room with someone's cushion & threw it on the floor. I have found putting things in draws helps hide things like the remote control is hidden under mum's undies.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Sounds a good idea. Can i ask how you got a duplicate pair of hearing aids. Do the NHS do this ?
Ask the care manager to phone the number on the hearing aid batteries' card to replace. Dad's spare hearing aids are his old ones they aren't so good but they are useful when the others go missing.

MaNaAk

lincs lad

Oct 13, 2014
Mum has now been in her CH for 9 months . Generally I am very pleased with it. The care workers are very nice and friendly and Mum seems settled most of the time. However she has a problem with things going "missing". They seem to go from her bedside table....currently we are missing hearing aids and glasses. Obviously I am getting replacements but this takes time. The CH manager did a search of all the rooms for my Mum's glasses under the pretence of doing a mass glasses clean but Mum' s glasses weren't found. I'm just worried that the replacements will go missing too. Does anyone have any idea what I can do to stop them going missing again?
Costs me load's buying clothes for wife as all clothes get mixed. Up somehow,l label them alas still vanish.same as now in hospital,I just go to Primark,to keep her smartish,they still vanish but patients with dementia can't help it.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Costs me load's buying clothes for wife as all clothes get mixed. Up somehow,l label them alas still vanish.same as now in hospital,I just go to Primark,to keep her smartish,they still vanish but patients with dementia can't help it.

That shouldn't really happen. I've never seen my mother wearing anyonelse's clothes, and when I check her wardrobe/chest of drawers, all the clothes are her own. But I agree I buy cheapish clothes for her now because they have to survive the laundry which I believe is done at high temperatures. The manager advised this and she was right.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I've never seen my mother wearing anyonelse's clothes, and when I check her wardrobe/chest of drawers, all the clothes are her own.
Wow! I must say that the laundry was the weakest link in mums care home. I regularly used to turf out other peoples stuff. I found that things did return to her (only 1 pair of trousers and a couple of tops never made it back) - apart from knickers, which I think Mum flushed!! I bought cheap and cheerful stuff for mum which she liked wearing and I didnt mind if the industrial washers ruined. I also had to buy new clothes as she put a lot of weight on in the first year she was there, and then lost it (and more) in her final couple of years

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Wow! I must say that the laundry was the weakest link in mums care home. I regularly used to turf out other peoples stuff. I found that things did return to her (only 1 pair of trousers and a couple of tops never made it back) - apart from knickers, which I think Mum flushed!! I bought cheap and cheerful stuff for mum which she liked wearing and I didnt mind if the industrial washers ruined. I also had to buy new clothes as she put a lot of weight on in the first year she was there, and then lost it (and more) in her final couple of years
The other day I found a pair up pull-ups in dad's drawer and when I showed them to the carer I admitted that I had never seen one of these before!

MaNaAk

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
My mother's CH is unusual in that the residents' rooms are locked when they aren't in them, so there is limited opportunity for pilfering, I think the only way clothes go missing is if the labels come off in the laundry. My mother has - let's say - individual taste in clothes so it would be very obvious if she wasn't wearing her own!

The residents all seem to spend their time downstairs in one of the lounges/dining room, but if they want to go to their room during the day, a carer helps them and unlocks - the bedrooms are upstairs and most of the residents are not able to use the stairs/lift alone, or indeed identify their own room! I have my own key to her room, so I always go up and check her things when I visit.