Dad feels railroaded to diagnosis

tgisue

Apr 20, 2019
Hello everyone.

My elderly parents are still living at home. My mother was diagnosed 2 years ago with vascular dementia which so far has only manifested itself in very limited mobility and is partially sighted with chronic pain.

My father however has now got significant memory problems. He is my mothers main carer and despite having her meds put in blister packs has still forgotten to give or mixes up days and packs. We now have carers in twice a day to give the meds. He will tell the same story over and over, phones multiple times a day to ask the same question, forgets if they have eaten etc.

We persuaded him to go to GP for memory assessment and was then referred to local memory clinic for diagnosis. He is 85, still works as a sole trader in a responsible/important field and still drives.

He has said he dreads going to the appointment and was overheard saying he is being forced to go by his children and he really doesn't want to know if he has dementia.

We now feel very conflicted. Should he ultimately decide himself to pursue a diagnosis? He knows that a diagnosis of dementia would have future consequences with driving and continuing to work which he says he needs and lives for. It gives him a reason to get up in the morning.

Thanks for reading and your thoughts.

Sue

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Sue [ @tgisue ] Welcome to the Forum.

I feel for your dad, who is fighting to hold on to his independence . Sadly, if he does have dementia and it is beginning to affect his life, further medical discussion is the next step.

Do you think he is at risk himself or risking the safety of others if he is still driving? Some people manage to drive perfectly safely while others may have lapses or develop poor spatial awareness.

Do you know if he is making any mistakes at work?

I understand your conflict. I have a cousin who is 82 and still working. He says, like your dad, he needs to have something to get up for in the morning.

Can you make some covert enquiries from his doctors? They won`t discuss your dad with you but they will listen to your concerns and take it from there is necessary. It`s what I did when I was having concerns about my mother.

tgisue

Apr 20, 2019
Hi Sylvia,

We believe he is a safe driver at the moment, although he gets anxious about driving out of town for work.

I dont believe he is making mistakes yet, although he needs a camera now to remind him what he saw on site visits, but still needs to return to remind himself.

If he did make a mistake we wonder if his professional indemnity insurance would cover him.

We havent told him about the repetitive questions and how bad his short term memory is, so do we tell him honestly how bad he is and let him make the decision himself?

Thanks again

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Unfortunately, if it is dementia its not going to get any better and if he is still working/driving he may be putting other people at risk. Unfortunately he may well not be aware of his own difficulties and think everything is fine, when it is not.

Giving up your indepenence is hard for everyone, but is often worse for people with dementia if they have limited insight. Just because they have a diagnosis of dementia, though doesnt mean that they automatically lose their licence and their ability to work, although it will eventually come.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
We believe he is a safe driver at the moment, although he gets anxious about driving out of town for work.
Have you actually sat in with him while he is driving? Sometimes that can be an eye-opener.
Sometimes its not so much the mechanics of driving that is the problem, but knowing what to do if someone makes an unexpected manoeuvre.
Im not saying that he is a bad driver, Im just saying that it is something to watch out for - you dont want to wait until he has a bad accident.

Bay21

Jul 31, 2013
@tgisue Sounds like a difficult position you're in. The psychiatrist who gave my Dad his diagnosis at the memory clinic said that you don't necessarily have to stop driving if you're diagnosed but the DVLA do need to be informed and may monitor him more closely - I can't remember how but I do remember her saying diagnosis didn't mean an outright ban from driving. She did however put in a strong recommendation my Dad no longer drove as he had crashed his car and had forgotten where it was.

My Dad has Alzheimer's but if you ask him he doesn't have any memory problems and he takes steps to look after his brain...he doesn't recall being diagnosed or any of the tests he has had. He is very much in denial about it and would happily try and drive if he had the chance. I'm not saying your Dad has Dementia but I'd exercise a bit of caution in putting the decision fully on him especially if he has something he doesn't want to lose and you have your concerns.