NO WILL: CAN MY FATHER INHERIT?

Slayer

Apr 19, 2019
Hi, I would really appreciate some insight/advice. My grandparents are both dead and they left no will, my dad's brother lived in their house for 18 years and sold it. My dad has eight siblings, two of which are dead. Does my father have any legal right to the money from the sale of the property? I know it sounds strange I am asking now as it has almost been two decades since which my grandma died, but I was a child then and did not know anything about this.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
One or both of your grandparents died intestate. If your uncle managed to sell the property some kind of probate must have been used to transfer the title of the house, always assuming it wasn’t done before your grandparents died, which is entirely possible. Generally when some dies intestate the heirs are all their children assuming any spouse has predeceased them.

I suspect that you don’t have all the facts here. The first thing you could do is check here https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate to see what was actually filed.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
As a theoretical exercise, you will be able to find out what should have been done, maybe even what was actually done.
Should you discover wrong doing, what can you do about it?
If too much time has passed,or if the brother no longer has enough assets to cover the wrong doing, then you are wasting your time and money.
Remember any estate dealt with under Intestate rules, will be split, in your case as many as 8 ways, again you could be in for a bigger bill than anything received.
Maybe best to let sleeping dogs lie. Just ensure your will is up to date, and trusted people know where it is!

Bod

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
This is similar to the situation with the family of one of my husbands brothers. However what actually happened was that the son who inherited actually paid the mortgage as well as living with his parents. His sisters don't like it but to me it seems just.

Slayer

Apr 19, 2019
I've had a look and it was grant only which my uncle has. I'm not sure where that leaves my father...