Fronto-temporal dementia

lilypat

Mar 1, 2019
Yorkshire
Hi sorry for no reply until now ..we seen to have a few ants getting in the house .been busy sorting it out . I am getting a dab hand with a silicone gun .all gaps filled.
Your friends idea with the meal sounds fab .I must drop a hint to my friends lol .
Oh I know what you mean about table manners all to pot in this house its fingers sometimes and if I don't take plate fast enough it's getting licked !! Had a mini break down this am at work ..just what with the ants,,, a bad boil ,,, and a cricked neck I was ready to blow .
Then this afternoon we had a nice bus trip out and plenty of smiling moments. Well that's a long reply .hope your day was ok and the night passes in peace .

Jackimags

Mar 1, 2019
South yorkshire
I think so. Had a fractious evening last night but today’s another day. So sorry to hear about your bad morning yesterday. There comes a point when we can’t see any light at the end of the tunnel. I am sure like me you sometimes lie in bed in the morning and think you can’t face another day of confusion etc etc. But we have to don’t we!! I hope you feel a bit better this morning ready to face the day. We are going to our daughter for tea today so hopefully the sundowning will stay away and host mode come into play. Big hug from me x

lilypat

Mar 1, 2019
Yorkshire
@Jackimags hi everything is good here now ta .glad u are ok .I too lay there feeling the same .
We are going out too for tea a meal at our favourite restaurant. With eldest daughter and family.
Bless him OH thought at 8am this morning it was time to go.
Here's to a quite day .keep smiling and hugs back to you
We can compare our OH hosts behaviour tomorrow.

Littlebear

Jan 6, 2017
Devon
I haven't been on here for a while. It's been a difficult few weeks - OH constantly angry - it's so bad I think we'll have to resort to medication to calm him. Have a phone call with doctor this morning. Also my 97 year old dad is in hospital so all in all no time for anything. Oh, I forget to say we're moving back home after 6 months (we've had the builders in) in less than two weeks and I haven't even started the packing and I need to get our own house habitable.

The point of the post was to say I've just been catching up on your posts and it's been like reading my diary, not that I have time to write one! My thoughts are with you - here's to a good calm day for us all!

lilypat

Mar 1, 2019
Yorkshire
Hi @Littlebear it's great to hear from you again .hope you are soon in a more settled place . My thoughts are with you and a hug to.
I do keep a diary but heaven help anyone who reads it most of it is so angry.

Jackimags

Mar 1, 2019
South yorkshire
Hi @Littlebear it's great to hear from you again .hope you are soon in a more settled place . My thoughts are with you and a hug to.
I do keep a diary but heaven help anyone who reads it most of it is so angry.
I haven't been on here for a while. It's been a difficult few weeks - OH constantly angry - it's so bad I think we'll have to resort to medication to calm him. Have a phone call with doctor this morning. Also my 97 year old dad is in hospital so all in all no time for anything. Oh, I forget to say we're moving back home after 6 months (we've had the builders in) in less than two weeks and I haven't even started the packing and I need to get our own house habitable.

The point of the post was to say I've just been catching up on your posts and it's been like reading my diary, not that I have time to write one! My thoughts are with you - here's to a good calm day for us all!
Hi. Good to hear from you oh that anger!!!Its so hard to deal with and not get angry back- but not always easy. Let’s hope this sunshine will keep our OH’s calm. Group hug for us all

Littlebear

Jan 6, 2017
Devon
So the doctor phoned today & OH has been prescribed Mirtazapine 15mg. They said to start on a low dose. Big problem is no alcohol so not sure what we'll do about our nightly pub visits. The other problem will be getting him to take it, first one tonight, but we can't go on like this. Recently I have started to feel very threatened and vulnerable. My husband is a big man - ex rugby player.

Does anyone have any experience of Mirtzapine? I just so hope it works.

Hear's to the end of anger!! Hope you all have a calm & peaceful night.

lilypat

Mar 1, 2019
Yorkshire
Hi @Littlebear. My OHtakes that and that amount.also he drinks granted not a lot 1 shandy or cider on night and 4 pints of J Smith on a Friday night .up to now all well
It seems to work for us ,but we were given it for depression.not anger.
We always joke about the size of it !
When he is taking it .
My thoughts are with you and are sending a cyber hug

Littlebear

Jan 6, 2017
Devon
Thanks for that. That's good to hear. Do you remember how long it was before it started to work? The doctor has prescribed it for anxiety as that's likely to be causing the anger, at least that's what she thinks. OH took it without question tonight. He went to bed very early & wouldn't eat first. Hopefully he won't wake up when I go to bed! Hope you're having a nice evening. A big cyber hug is on its way back to you.

Jackimags

Mar 1, 2019
South yorkshire
So the doctor phoned today & OH has been prescribed Mirtazapine 15mg. They said to start on a low dose. Big problem is no alcohol so not sure what we'll do about our nightly pub visits. The other problem will be getting him to take it, first one tonight, but we can't go on like this. Recently I have started to feel very threatened and vulnerable. My husband is a big man - ex rugby player.

Does anyone have any experience of Mirtzapine? I just so hope it works.

Hear's to the end of anger!! Hope you all have a calm & peaceful night.
Hi my OH has been on 30mg mirtazapine for about 2 years and gp told us a moderate amount of alcohol was ok. He takes the mirtazapine in the morning. Most nights he has a gin and tonic. I hope it helps in the anger department. Take care

Jackimags

Mar 1, 2019
South yorkshire
Oh what strange “conversation “ we have mainly in the evening. Totally obsolete sentences. No logic there at all. I find it so hard to see the man I married changing to the man he is now. It really saddens me and I know it won’t get any better. Are these strange conversations more common with FTD or is it dementia in general? I would say 80% of the time I can cope with these strange conversations but sometimes it really gets to me and the saddest thing is I am forgetting the way he used to be before this damn disease affected our lives. Sorry to moan!!

Jackimags

Mar 1, 2019
South yorkshire
An example of our conversation. I am sitting downstairs and drawers are opening and shutting in the bedroom. When I go to see what he is looking for the answer was” to make sure there was enough water in it”. I just said ok and suggested he got into bed!!

lilypat

Mar 1, 2019
Yorkshire
You must have great patience. And it's ok to moan .believe me it's my new hobby ,hopefully someone will help you with your question as I am a newbie with the disease .
Mind you saying that I can't believe that this time last year I was starting to feel that there was something wrong .ie parking car diagonally etc
With mine it's the problem of finding words he stops suddenly and waves his hands about trying to think of the word ,he gets frustrated with himself and me for not knowing what he means. .tonight he was muddled with his age .
Could not grasp he was 70 last year at restaurant and now 71 really adamant he was 60 ? .kept repeating 60 plus 1 is 71
Well I must head back to bed to see if I can sleep o_O

Jackimags

Mar 1, 2019
South yorkshire
You must have great patience. And it's ok to moan .believe me it's my new hobby ,hopefully someone will help you with your question as I am a newbie with the disease .
Mind you saying that I can't believe that this time last year I was starting to feel that there was something wrong .ie parking car diagonally etc
With mine it's the problem of finding words he stops suddenly and waves his hands about trying to think of the word ,he gets frustrated with himself and me for not knowing what he means. .tonight he was muddled with his age .
Could not grasp he was 70 last year at restaurant and now 71 really adamant he was 60 ? .kept repeating 60 plus 1 is 71
Well I must head back to bed to see if I can sleep o_O
2.53AM!!! What was happening there. You must have been very tired this morning. We have no plans for the Easter weekend- how about you? We are looking after our daughters cavalier spaniel till Monday. OH went to a balance class this morning and really enjoyed it. His walking has slowed down and it should help strengthen his legs and aid his balance. Fairly calm tonight- snoring away at the side of me x

lilypat

Mar 1, 2019
Yorkshire
Hi OH was jerking in his sleep just dreaming, but once awake that was it for about a hour lol .
We did a shop this afternoon, and after a quiet shop got a earful on the way back due to my 'driving ' all wrong it seems .
No plans here just hoping to get some rest .OH asleep too has been for a about 2 hours .
OH seems to struggle with getting out of a chair .
How nice to have a dog for a while .we dont have pets but our granddaughters greatest wish is to have a dog
Here's to a quite relaxing Easter
Dont eat to many chocolate eggs :)

Littlebear

Jan 6, 2017
Devon
My OH took his first mirtazapine last night & slept deeply for 12 hours. He's very sleepy today & has slept most of the day but still wanted to go to bed at 8pm. He was a bit calmer today but hard to tell as he was mostly asleep - got upset in the car (always a trigger point since he lost his licence but much worse recently) en route to visit my dad in hospital and wouldn't stay there for long but calmed down soon after we got home. It's very early days but hopefully it will help. I'm hoping that as he adjusts to the pills he'll be less sleepy. Still it was great to have a good night and a fairly peaceful day.

lilypat

Mar 1, 2019
Yorkshire
Littebear I am sure that your OH sleeping will settle down it sounds just like my OH was when he started .
Glad the day was easier for you .sending hugs

Jackimags

Mar 1, 2019
South yorkshire
Hi OH was jerking in his sleep just dreaming, but once awake that was it for about a hour lol .
We did a shop this afternoon, and after a quiet shop got a earful on the way back due to my 'driving ' all wrong it seems .
No plans here just hoping to get some rest .OH asleep too has been for a about 2 hours .
OH seems to struggle with getting out of a chair .
How nice to have a dog for a while .we dont have pets but our granddaughters greatest wish is to have a dog
Here's to a quite relaxing Easter
Dont eat to many chocolate eggs :)
OH often has jerking when asleep too. I get the comments about my driving. I can approach a junction at 2 miles an hour and he still grabs the dashboard as if ide approached it at 40 mph. Think he’s waiting for me to say “well you drive then” but that’s isn’t/can’t happen. We have a 2yr old cocker spaniel of our own and she is my life saver-she loves regardless!! Have you found your OH has become quite mardy? We both have a chesty cough at the moment but every cough he does is followed by a drama. He’s woken up now and is in wandering mode!! Sleep well

Jackimags

Mar 1, 2019
South yorkshire
OH often has jerking when asleep too. I get the comments about my driving. I can approach a junction at 2 miles an hour and he still grabs the dashboard as if ide approached it at 40 mph. Think he’s waiting for me to say “well you drive then” but that’s isn’t/can’t happen. We have a 2yr old cocker spaniel of our own and she is my life saver-she loves regardless!! Have you found your OH has become quite mardy? We both have a chesty cough at the moment but every cough he does is followed by a drama. He’s woken up now and is in wandering mode!! Sleep well
Oh well. 4.10am and just been woken up with a cup of lukewarm herbal tea- with milk in it!!! We’re now back in bed with OH fast asleep and me wide awake. Not a good start to the day but can only get better- hopefully!!