Goodbye Mum

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
Look carefully at the small print- that might be just what they charge as their fees ex costs. Cost for searches and etc maybe on top. That sounds too cheap to be true.
Martin Lewis is fairly reliable

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mortgages/how-to-sell-a-house/#costs

I sold my dad's house just 5 months ago and I only paid a Conveyancing Solicitor £564 including an indemnity for not having some guarantees, so that is a reasonable charge. You have to remember it's only for a sale of a property.

65Maisie

Mar 14, 2019
And so I find myself in this part of the forum.
I always had a bad feeling about my mum going into hospital this time.
Sadly I was right. Her final fight with dementia went on much longer than expected. She fought like a true champion.
She didn’t deserve this at all, no one does but I do take comfort in the fact that she passed peacefully. It feels weird, surreal, even spacey that it’s all happened.
I’m sorry but I’m glad she passed peacefully and is now free of this heartbreaking time. Nobody should have to go through this awful illness. Xx

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
I sold my dad's house just 5 months ago and I only paid a Conveyancing Solicitor £564 including an indemnity for not having some guarantees, so that is a reasonable charge. You have to remember it's only for a sale of a property.

Exactly - although I will be buying a house, it is doubtful that I can find something to go through at the same time so for now I think we can just cope with selling the house.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
I’m sorry but I’m glad she passed peacefully and is now free of this heartbreaking time. Nobody should have to go through this awful illness. Xx

Thank you @65Maisie, the final year of my mum’s life was pretty traumatic for us, not sure it was quite so for her especially the last hospital part in the last week but at least the syringe driver kept her relatively calm & she did pass peacefully xx

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
It’s hard isn’t it when lots of thoughts go through your head about everything.
I’m not going to lie I do feel very frustrated that my mum’s executor is effectively a stranger to me & that the entire process has been very much complicated by having to deal with him about my mum’s estate when I am next of kin & should be executor & in actual fact because I have done a lot of the donkey work that I feel I am executor in everything but name.
I have asked for an interim payment to be made to me as to be honest, I do need some money & it will be less expensive to me than getting an overdraft or a loan. The joys of being self employed & taking time out of your business.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
So I have gone ahead & got a loan - I just did it & feel relieved as it takes so much pressure off me now & I can try & get on with stuff.
I’m really frustrated with the entire process & it does not sit right with me. I have checked where I stand legally about a small interim payment & it is all above board & legal. We are not talking a fortune, just £500.

Marcelle123

Nov 9, 2015
Yorkshire
Hope that makes it easier to proceed with everything. Doubtless there are a few more hurdles for you to jump - but eventually you'll be at the end of the track, and ready to proceed to the rest of your life.
Wishing you all the best. xx

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Hope that makes it easier to proceed with everything. Doubtless there are a few more hurdles for you to jump - but eventually you'll be at the end of the track, and ready to proceed to the rest of your life.
Wishing you all the best. xx

It will make life a lot easier @Marcelle123 - i’ve been really struggling with the financial side of things & it is really simple, I need to spend money to make money & with me taking time off work then I had not booked any events for next month & following months & this is what I need to do.
Luckily I have got in at an event on Saturday so I will probably order some extra stock for that & others & life will be a lot easier.
I think the frustration of dealing with an executor who is not down the road is also not great. I’m not quite sure he wants to do it either. Xx

lis66

Aug 7, 2015
Sending you hugs you have been through so much in such a short space of time ,hope you finally get it sorted out xx

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
I finally got an email back from the executor & he has received a cheque for 2 of the accounts my mum has money in, not the big one as yet so he popped the cheque in his bank. So he will sort out the payments I requested. Phew!

The gardener will do my mum’s garden next week & is giving me a quote
today to jet wash the slabs & drive way. A lot of the back garden is slabbed. They are quite reasonable & of course, we want it to look good for the estate agent photos.

I am going to do some work for my business this morning including ordering some stock as I am doing an event on Saturday last minute & then I will put in a form to do another event. I’m making lots of plans!

The big thing at the moment is sorting out my mum’s house. It is a huge task as she was a hoarder. We are making in roads but I am conscious that we need to do it every single day that we can.
There is a lot to car boot/charity & also I am going through stuff to keep as well. And one heck of a load of rubbish.

DianeW

Sep 10, 2013
Lytham St Annes
It’s awful clearing someone’s home.

I cleared my Uncles house of 40 years, wasn’t a hoarder as such just kept a lot of stuff, and of course paperwork from the year dot......

It was very sad because they paid a lot of money for furniture and looked after it well for years, but nobody wanted that era of furniture, so lots got tipped, some to charity shop, and some given to friends and family.
It’s very hard work and I had pleurisy at the time so it was so difficult.

Just keep plodding on.....

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
It’s awful clearing someone’s home.

I cleared my Uncles house of 40 years, wasn’t a hoarder as such just kept a lot of stuff, and of course paperwork from the year dot......

It was very sad because they paid a lot of money for furniture and looked after it well for years, but nobody wanted that era of furniture, so lots got tipped, some to charity shop, and some given to friends and family.
It’s very hard work and I had pleurisy at the time so it was so difficult.

Just keep plodding on.....

Yep this is similar! I mean yesterday I found at least & I mean at least 20 bras & 20 old fashioned girdles in drawers. My mum has lived in the bungalow since 1969.
The furniture most of it was purchased in the 70’s!
My mum would decorate from time to time & change some carpets but kept the furniture.
There is only so much you can keep as I don’t have the space either!

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I have a very nice coffee table from the 1970s which a very stylish friend of mine keeps trying to persuade me to part with...so 70s style is about to make a comeback ... she doesn’t want my hostess trolley though o_O

Joking aside I know what a hard task it is to clear a bungalow. When I did my dad’s last year I cleared out the rubbish - many many trips to the tip and got a local charity to collect the good furniture. It was heartbreaking to let go of so many memories and so much stuff dad loved. But, for me, the hardest part was deciding what to do with his beloved fish from the garden pond.

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
Hi Kikki
When I started clearing my dad’s house, I did it in stages. The first stage was making it presentable for the sale. I removed anything of sentimental value or value that I wanted to keep and I decluttered and cleaned (put things in the attic or shed or took it to the tip) ready for the viewings. This took about 3-4 weeks

Items in drawers/cupboards I dealt with it bit by bit when I had the time. Many trips to the refuse tip or the charity shop, all paperwork I took home to sort out as and when.

Once the house was sold, then I started removing anything that would fit in the car. These got split into 3 piles, things for the refuse tip, things for the charity shop and things I felt I could sell. I did this until there was only the big items left. This took about another month.

Then I contacted a charity who did house clearances. They took everything as long as it had a fire safety label including things like the washing machine/fridge freezer/dryer/cooker. After this the only items I had left were the bed and mattress which I arranged for the council to remove at a cost. All this was done about a month before the house sale was completed.

I was lucky I didn’t have to rush removing things, so in all it took just over 3 months, mostly while the house sale was going through. Just don’t let it overwhelm you, you will have time.

Elle x

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
I have a very nice coffee table from the 1970s which a very stylish friend of mine keeps trying to persuade me to part with...so 70s style is about to make a comeback ... she doesn’t want my hostess trolley though o_O

Joking aside I know what a hard task it is to clear a bungalow. When I did my dad’s last year I cleared out the rubbish - many many trips to the tip and got a local charity to collect the good furniture. It was heartbreaking to let go of so many memories and so much stuff dad loved. But, for me, the hardest part was deciding what to do with his beloved fish from the garden pond.

Yes we actually wanted to refurb the bungalow in a 60’s/70’s style at one point but seeing just how much work there is to do in actually clearing it out, I can see why we didn’t do it at the time. We are maybe not as busy now but it it going to take weeks to do. We will have to start going to the tip soon as just too much rubbish to contend with for a green bin. It is a shame it is Easter Sunday this week as we could have started going to the car boot. I’m saving the best stuff to sell as we can say a lot is vintage now.
I hope you found a home for his fish @Bunpoots - I always wanted a pond in the garden.

I did have a water feature built at one stage. One of my ex’s was a really good gardener & I would love that sort of thing again. I find it very tranquil

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Hi Kikki
When I started clearing my dad’s house, I did it in stages. The first stage was making it presentable for the sale. I removed anything of sentimental value or value that I wanted to keep and I decluttered and cleaned (put things in the attic or shed or took it to the tip) ready for the viewings. This took about 3-4 weeks

Items in drawers/cupboards I dealt with it bit by bit when I had the time. Many trips to the refuse tip or the charity shop, all paperwork I took home to sort out as and when.

Once the house was sold, then I started removing anything that would fit in the car. These got split into 3 piles, things for the refuse tip, things for the charity shop and things I felt I could sell. I did this until there was only the big items left. This took about another month.

Then I contacted a charity who did house clearances. They took everything as long as it had a fire safety label including things like the washing machine/fridge freezer/dryer/cooker. After this the only items I had left were the bed and mattress which I arranged for the council to remove at a cost. All this was done about a month before the house sale was completed.

I was lucky I didn’t have to rush removing things, so in all it took just over 3 months, mostly while the house sale was going through. Just don’t let it overwhelm you, you will have time.

Elle x

Ah thank you @Elle3 yes we know we don’t have to do it in a matter of a few weeks but then we will start getting into summer event season so I am liable to be busy every weekend so running the biz & then doing the clearance work is going to make us very busy. The lounge is the biggest space so we are storing stuff in there. We have nearly sorted the kitchen out. I think I may as well get started on my old bedroom next today. I have 2 more valuations on the house today & from there will decide on who sells it.

The estate agent I liked best was the most expensive one but she said that if price is the only thing stopping us using her then she can see what she can do.
I’m also viewing a house round the corner from where I live tomorrow. It is sort of the house this one could be if it was done up. I don’t know whether it is my house or not but I will know more tomorrow x