What happens after section 3

Clare70

Apr 15, 2019
Hi, looking for insight as to what will happen to my MIL if she ever gets discharged from her section 3.

She was placed in a hospital a month ago under section 2 but has just had it renewed to section 3. She is undergoing treatment (anti depressants and a patch for dimentia) but I don't know what the likely outcome will be. Is it possible she will be able to go to a care home and if so how is that dealt with? Will the family have any say? Is it funded? I've read there is a thing called section 117 but have no idea how it works.

TIA for any info

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Clare70
and a warm welcome

I don't have personal knowledge of this but this page from the main AS site may help
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-s...tions-mental-health-act-are-relevant-dementia
esp this paragraph
After-care support is not means-tested. This means that everyone who needs it will receive it, regardless of their financial situation. It must be provided free of charge and this includes care in the person's own home and paying for care home fees.

so it seems your mum in law's care will be fully funded, so she should retain her pension

Last edited:

tss502

Oct 20, 2014
Hi, I am going through a similar process with my OH who was sectioned under Section 2 and now Section 3. We had a Section 117 aftercare meeting about a month ago, although the Section 3 has just been extended for another 6 months. I think you should ask your social worker or care co-ordinator (if you have one) about this meeting. My understanding is that my OH will be entitled to Section 117 aftercare funding when he is discharged from hospital, and that this would covering costs such as a care home. The local authority may only pay their standard rate for a care home though, so there may still be a request for a top-up. The guidance from our NHS Trust states that 'there is nothing to prevent top-up payments being made by the patient to fund additional or higher level of services'.

Clare70

Apr 15, 2019
Hi, I am going through a similar process with my OH who was sectioned under Section 2 and now Section 3. We had a Section 117 aftercare meeting about a month ago, although the Section 3 has just been extended for another 6 months. I think you should ask your social worker or care co-ordinator (if you have one) about this meeting. My understanding is that my OH will be entitled to Section 117 aftercare funding when he is discharged from hospital, and that this would covering costs such as a care home. The local authority may only pay their standard rate for a care home though, so there may still be a request for a top-up. The guidance from our NHS Trust states that 'there is nothing to prevent top-up payments being made by the patient to fund additional or higher level of services'.

Thank you for your reply, sorry it's taken me so long to thank you.

We have a meeting set up for the 29th of this month though not sure what to expect. No one has told us if we need to find a place for my MIL or whether the authorities find one. If there is a budget we have to work to and how soon will she move from where she is now. It's a lot to take in.