It can be done (CHC funding appeal)....

Flashharry

Sep 4, 2018
When my Mum was being transferred to the nursing home from hospital we were told she qualified for Fast track funding, being new to all this I didn't realise what this meant, a day later a consultant overruled this and we ended up paying for her care, as Dad had always put money into an account for Mum (even though she hasn't worked for about 60 years). We had a CHC assessment in November again although I did a lot of reading up I naively thought because Mum was so bad it would be fairly straightforward, Mum didn't qualify, I appealed, after talking to anyone who might be able to help, reading up on everything, picking the brains of a really nice social worker, etc. In the letter explaining Mum's application had failed it did say they'd review it in 3 months which they did, the same assessor could see how much Mum had deteriorated and a week later I received a letter saying Mum now qualified, in the meantime I also had the initial appeal review (I thought to assess whether I could appeal). I heard today the CCG had reversed the decision from the original assessment and we would get a refund of all fees paid. So it can be done. I've spent a lot of time on this as my parents aren't wealthy and basically I always thought if someone was that sick they should be entitled to the care they needed. What made the CCG change their mind for us was the rapid deterioration in Mum's condition and although it's not going to make any difference to Mum I wanted to say to anyone trying to wade their way through the process, the rules, the frustration of it all, prepare, read everything, speak to everyone. It can be done....(although it is reviewed in 3 months and we could be back to square one)...apologies for rambling but I'm still surprised by the result. Good luck if you're going through the process.....

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Very well done indeed. It is such a mine field but you give people hope. Thank you

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
When my Mum was being transferred to the nursing home from hospital we were told she qualified for Fast track funding, being new to all this I didn't realise what this meant, a day later a consultant overruled this and we ended up paying for her care, as Dad had always put money into an account for Mum (even though she hasn't worked for about 60 years). We had a CHC assessment in November again although I did a lot of reading up I naively thought because Mum was so bad it would be fairly straightforward, Mum didn't qualify, I appealed, after talking to anyone who might be able to help, reading up on everything, picking the brains of a really nice social worker, etc. In the letter explaining Mum's application had failed it did say they'd review it in 3 months which they did, the same assessor could see how much Mum had deteriorated and a week later I received a letter saying Mum now qualified, in the meantime I also had the initial appeal review (I thought to assess whether I could appeal). I heard today the CCG had reversed the decision from the original assessment and we would get a refund of all fees paid. So it can be done. I've spent a lot of time on this as my parents aren't wealthy and basically I always thought if someone was that sick they should be entitled to the care they needed. What made the CCG change their mind for us was the rapid deterioration in Mum's condition and although it's not going to make any difference to Mum I wanted to say to anyone trying to wade their way through the process, the rules, the frustration of it all, prepare, read everything, speak to everyone. It can be done....(although it is reviewed in 3 months and we could be back to square one)...apologies for rambling but I'm still surprised by the result. Good luck if you're going through the process.....

Well done, that is really good news.

Flashharry

Sep 4, 2018
I think the system is designed to make it so difficult that people give up. It's not fair but there are some good people able to offer help, if you persist. Basically read everything, be prepared and assume the assessor needs to be persuaded. Challenge anything that's not as you know it.....

Careroncoffee

Feb 16, 2018
Watford, Hertfordshire
@Flashharry it is an awful process but the 3 month review is to ensure the care your mum is receiving meets her needs, it’s not a reassessment. I went to my mums 3 month review expecting a similar experience to the DST meeting and it was nothing like it. The assessor was lovely. I did arm myself with, among other things the NHS training material for the updated CHC framework (2018). The link to the online slide viewer isn’t working so I’ve uploaded it with this message. Mods: If it’s not allowed, sorry please remove it.

Attachments

• nhs-chc-national-framework-roadshow-slides-2.pdf
    301.7 KB · Views: 351