secure identification

beegee

Oct 20, 2008
Hi
I'm new to this so am not sure of the protocol! My father in law has Alzheimer's and occasionally wanders. When trying to find some means of secure id for him to wear I'm coming up with the usual Medialert type stuff but wondered if anyone knows of a bracelet type item which opens to allow our own paper insert with details on it to be placed inside (similar to a capsule necklace but he's unlikely to keep that on). Ideally the bracelet should be difficult to remove. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be very grateful[/FONT]

EllieS

Aug 23, 2005
SOMERSET
Id

I bought Mum a silver id bracelet and had her name & telephone number engraved on it - I'm not sure how successful it would have been but it made me feel that at least I'd tried!

Men used to wear ID tags in the war I think - what about engraving the back of your father-in -law's watch.

Mum used to wander, before she was given notice from the Res Home and moved into locked environment. Police called a few times - am only grateful she found her way (via a taxi company) to our old family home - it was 35 miles from where she was staying.

Not sure what's best really, the concern about her wandering (with the possibility that she could cause somebody else to be injured as well as herself) of seeing her locked in and institutionalised!

Perhaps if you can try to predict where your f-in-law is likely to go you could touch base with people/shops/locals to watch out for him and to give you a call if they spot him.

Probably all useless info - but I'm trying, very trying infact.

Keep caring

E

May

Oct 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi beegee, Welcome to TP.

I don't know of a bracelet such as you describe, but a thought springs to mind. My apologies here and I mean no offence,:eek: but could you not use a tag such as is attached to a pets collar. My cats have the little barrels that contain a roll of paper for home details. I'm sure there must be a more 'upmarket' product than the ones I use (my cats lose their collars with annoying frequency:rolleyes:)which could be attached to a bracelet.
If you wanted to go the high tec route there are several previous threads re tracking devices. If you put 'wandering' into the search facility it will bring up the threads for you.

Good luck with whatever you decide on. Do come back and chat and lets us know how you get on with this problem.

Take care

DianeB

May 29, 2008
nottinghamshire
There is a bracelet called a SOS Talisman, I think they sell this in Samuels and also Ebay have a few. You unscrew the top and inside there is a paper insert with all medical details including address etc, although you could put your own in as well. I think you can get them for about £22. Hubby has one for when he is out on the motorbike.