Last Words

Andyp101

Dec 5, 2017
Hi All,

As some will know, my Mum was bedridden and in the final stages of dementia. She had been six weeks (bar a couple of days) in hospital with a chest infection and sepsis. Back at the care home a day, she had succumbed to another infection.

It was disturbing and distressing watching her. She slept a lot, only occasionally stirring to sip a little apple juice. She had given up on eating long before. From Sunday she had developed difficulty swallowing. From there it was 'mouth care', dipping a tooth brush in liquid and moistening Mum's lips and tongue. I kept vigil and spoke to her - memories, thanks for being a great Mum, regrets I could not look after her better - and she pawed her blankets searching for my hand. I was called to her bed at 4 am and she passed at 5.20pm. Her breathing was very rapid for a time and then it slowed and the gaps between breaths got longer. Eventually it stopped. You could tell immediately that she had passed. Her face wasn't hers, if that makes sense. I burst into tears again. Kissed her forehead and informed the care staff.

The last coherent thing she said to me, days before, her last words if you like, were 'I love you'.

She was a great Mum.

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
Take comfort from the words your Mum spoke to you, ‘I love you’ !
How beautiful!
She surely knew your love for her!
Condolences but knowledge your Mum is at peace will bring you comfort.
X

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
So sorry for the loss of your Mum - be kind to yourself and try and remember the happier times

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
I am so very sorry for your loss @Andyp101. Although it has been a traumatic time, it was a blessing that you could be there with her at the end and that you were able to hear those final, loving words. Thinking of you and wishing you strength.

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
So so sorry for your loss @Andyp101 How lovely that she could tell you she loves you & searched for your hand. In those moments she was just your 'great mum' having escaped from the clutches of dementia. Go forward with her love. X

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Ah I am so sorry to hear this @Andyp101 my sincere condolences go out to you & your family.
I have just been through this final journey with my mum & it is important to note those final words.
The last intelligible words my mum spoke were my name - twice. It was a really strange thing because she was asleep but she was moving her face as if she was talking & nodding to people & then quite clearly she said my name twice. I like to think that she was conversing with the spirits of the departed that had arrived to take her on her final journey x

AliceA

May 27, 2016
How lovely to hear those words, her love will always be with you. X

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
Sorry for your loss Andyp101,
You were with her right to the end and what lovely words to treasure. You were a great son too. X

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Sending my condolences, I'm sorry for your loss.

How lovely to have these words to treasure.

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
So sorry for your loss, I hope you are taking comfort from her last words, you must have mean't so much to her. Elle x

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
My mum frequently told me that she loved me during her last year or so. She did not have dementia but she was ill. It seemed to be important to her that I knew.

I am grateful for that and I always told her that I loved her too.

charlie10

Dec 20, 2018
so sorry Andy...my mum never regained consciousness but I was with her in the hours before she died and wouldn't have missed it for anything....that memory is still clear after 18 years, miss her every day but so glad to have had her in my life