Book Recommendation

worldtraveller

May 14, 2008
West Midlands
I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to do this, but I'm sure one of the moderators will 'slap my wrist' if necessary! I've just discovered a book called 'The Selfish Pig's Guide to Caring' by Hugh Marriot (ISBN 09544233-1-3). It's informative, funny and very honest and I'm finding it a great support as I grapple with so many issues surrounding caring for my wife. I recommend it to all carers.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I'm a compulsive reader - will read anything from the cornflakes packet to Shakespeare. I must say however, that I have learned more about dementia from this site than from any other source, thanks to all the people on TP who share their experiences here, and had some good laughs thanks to our witty and often very funny wags on the site.

xx TinaT

Last edited:

taylorcat

Jun 18, 2006
W.Scotland
I have the "Selfish Pig's Guide to Caring" which I bought for my Dad.

If anyone wants it they are welcome to email me and I will pass it on.

cdl0952

Nov 20, 2007
Helpful book on dementia

Of all the things I have read on dementia, 'Contented Dementia' by Oliver James really helped me believe that repetition is good and not head banging as it used to be.. the endless repeated phrases etc.... it has certainly improved the 'conversations' mum and I have.. it's just a shame I can't help her when she wants to go home to her mum... the book relies on what the person did before dementia and tries to build some recent photos for them, to add to their empty present day album..:)