Hospital stays

Louise83

Feb 5, 2019
My mum is in hospital just now as 2 days ago her legs were very weak, they suspect a mini stroke and we are waiting on an MRI scan.

The problem is, my mum's short term memory seems to be getting worse, both mornings she has woken up not knowing where she is, where I am etc.
I came in at 10 yesterday and just after 9 today, and both days she has been in tears and so upset. After I explain what is going on she settles and is ok.

I did mention this to the nurses last night but I guess there isn't much we can do, and later in the day she forgets about being upset.

Has anyone had this problem before and have any advice?

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
My mum is in hospital just now as 2 days ago her legs were very weak, they suspect a mini stroke and we are waiting on an MRI scan.

The problem is, my mum's short term memory seems to be getting worse, both mornings she has woken up not knowing where she is, where I am etc.
I came in at 10 yesterday and just after 9 today, and both days she has been in tears and so upset. After I explain what is going on she settles and is ok.

I did mention this to the nurses last night but I guess there isn't much we can do, and later in the day she forgets about being upset.

Has anyone had this problem before and have any advice?

Sorry to hear this @Louise83 Yes a hospital stay can be very detrimental to a person with dementia. My dad 89 had a 3 week hospital stay back in January and it has affected him very much. He went in with pneumonia, had delirium and a heart attack followed by a stroke. He also had 3 falls while in there which did him no good at all.

The worst thing they did was moving him all of the time, he was on 4 different wards as well as A & E twice. I think most hospital staff do not realise the impact that moving like this can have on a person with dementia and if they do, other things have to take priority. Dad went in with probably moderate dementia where he had been taking care of himself with a lot of help from me but since he has been home he has needed 24 hour care although he can still get about with a frame and take himself to the toilet. He has been home now for 8 weeks and has improved significantly but often does not know where he is.

It depends on your mums age and how advanced her dementia is already but if I were you I would speak to the doctors and make it clear that you want your mums stay in hospital as short as possible. My dad is very elderly and the stay in hospital just kind of snowballed from one incident to another.

I really don't want to scare you as my dad's case may be extreme but the earlier the discharge the better it is for everyone.

I hope your mum recovers quickly.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi @Louise83
Might you leave a card with a message for your mum that you will visit in the morning, maybe even a photo of you, so the nurses can show her when she wakes up
Hope all goes well with your mum

Louise83

Feb 5, 2019
Thank you both for the replies. The doctor came round this afternoon and after discussing with her superior agreed to let mum home. She'll get the MRI as an outpatient.

She's fine now it's me that's been so emotional today! So relieved to have her home. Would have been ok with her staying in hospital for the scan if it wasn't for her getting so confused and upset overnight.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Thank you both for the replies. The doctor came round this afternoon and after discussing with her superior agreed to let mum home. She'll get the MRI as an outpatient.

She's fine now it's me that's been so emotional today! So relieved to have her home. Would have been ok with her staying in hospital for the scan if it wasn't for her getting so confused and upset overnight.

That must be a relief for you @Louise83 I am sure that she will be better off at home. I hope she is soon back to normal.