Social Services battle for help!

Nene

Apr 8, 2019
Hi,
I'm new to the forum, and I am hoping that I'm in the right place to get some valuable advice.
My Mother In Law has been diagnosed with dementia for nearly 2 years. Her health and well being has deteriorated dramatically over the last year.
A year ago she had a pan fire in her flat, which caused enough damaged for her to be in a care home for 8 weeks whilst the repairs were made. Social services were involved at this point (after a weeks long battle for them to find her a care home....) They refused to keep her in the Care Home and she was sent back to live in her flat. Since that time she has caused 2 small fires in the flat (she's a smoker) and although she has a fire retardant mat under her arm chair it is now riddled with cigarette burns, as is her carpet.
Over the last few weeks she has had several falls, one of them in the night where she crawled to her bedroom and pulled the covers off her bed and slept on the floor. Her carer found her at 10.40am. An ambulance has been called 4 times in the last 2 weeks, due to her falls.
We have fall alarms but she takes it off as she does not understand what it is for.
Despite all of this, and our constant calls to social services, we are at our wits end, as it is now clearly time for her to be in a care home full time. However, we are met with delaying tactics constantly. She has been assessed more times than I have hot dinners, and we have contact with the EMDASS & her GP's. Myself and my husband have POA for her health and finance.
I'm sure I am not the only person struggling with Social Services, and would appreciate any advice from anyone that has or is experiencing similar issues.

whetstone woman

Feb 18, 2014
Gosh what a worry. I also feel the fires issue is a risk to the other residents of her block of flats and I would stress to SS that residents health and safety is being compromised and they should risk assess the situation for those other people. Anything awful,happens and they have failed to take this into account could leave them with more than egg on their faces.

Nene

Apr 8, 2019
Gosh what a worry. I also feel the fires issue is a risk to the other residents of her block of flats and I would stress to SS that residents health and safety is being compromised and they should risk assess the situation for those other people. Anything awful,happens and they have failed to take this into account could leave them with more than egg on their faces.

Hi,
Thank you for your reply :) Social Services are very well aware of the issues, and even though there are other flats within her block, they still don't see her as a priority!
I spoke to them today as she had a fall over night on Saturday and was left in her own urine until the carer arrived late morning - the answer was " your social worker is on holiday until next Tuesday we will ask her to call you when she gets back, there isn't anything we can do until then. But if you have any other issues please let us know" So leaving an 87 year old lady with dementia on the floor all night soaked in urine is ok!!!! Stressed is an understatement...

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi @Nene and welcome to the forum.

What an awful situation. Have you been able to speak to anyone in a more senior position in the SW department? I think I would be putting my concerns in writing to a manager so that there is a paper trail - either letter or email. I'd be emphasising that she is a vulnerable person and that they have a duty of care to both your mother and the other residents in the apartments.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
If I was in your shoes I would get in touch with my local Alzheimer's society and the local carers centre, explain the whole thing to them and ask for advocacy, ie someone to ring Social Services on your behalf. They might have more clout with them, know just how to push buttons or what phrases to use and how to escalate this. Personally I would tell SS that they have duty of care for a vulnerable adult at risk and that you will hold them personally responsible for anything that happens to her, plus the next burned rug replacement invoice will be sent straight to them.

Nene

Apr 8, 2019
Hi @Nene and welcome to the forum.

What an awful situation. Have you been able to speak to anyone in a more senior position in the SW department? I think I would be putting my concerns in writing to a manager so that there is a paper trail - either letter or email. I'd be emphasising that she is a vulnerable person and that they have a duty of care to both your mother and the other residents in the apartments.
Thanks Izzy, That will be my next step. I've been very patient so far, but a year on and I am now at crisis point. Thank you - a letter will be in the post tonight!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Thanks Izzy, That will be my next step. I've been very patient so far, but a year on and I am now at crisis point. Thank you - a letter will be in the post tonight!

That's good! Do let us know how you get on!

Nene

Apr 8, 2019
If I was in your shoes I would get in touch with my local Alzheimer's society and the local carers centre, explain the whole thing to them and ask for advocacy, ie someone to ring Social Services on your behalf. They might have more clout with them, know just how to push buttons or what phrases to use and how to escalate this. Personally I would tell SS that they have duty of care for a vulnerable adult at risk and that you will hold them personally responsible for anything that happens to her, plus the next burned rug replacement invoice will be sent straight to them.
Hi,
I have had lots of support from EMDASS who are trying their hardest to get SS to listen. However, their hands are tied as they can only do a referral and follow up. Unfortunately for us SS have the final say. We have had so many assessments are recommendations sent for her to be in full time care, but SS don't seem to want to listen until we are in the worst case scenario which doesn't bare thinking about! My letter to them tonight will be strongly worded, I don't hold out much hope though! Fighting a losing battle...

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I don't know know who or what EMDASS is but a referral is different to advocacy so I would try that route.

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
If the LA will be funding the care home they will do everything to keep PWD at home for as long as possible.And even beyond that point.Maybe involve your MP?

Nene

Apr 8, 2019
If the LA will be funding the care home they will do everything to keep PWD at home for as long as possible.And even beyond that point.Maybe involve your MP?

It certainly seems that way, I sent an email to my MP last night, fingers crossed I get a reply soon.
We found her on the floor again this morning, having fallen during the night. Next stop A&E (although she seems ok) I want to get her checked over! Thanks for your reply x

TheBearsMummy

Sep 29, 2017
East Midlands
Please use email for your complaint to social services as letters even when sent recorded delivery can still go missing. With email you will be able to prove that they were told about these safety issues.
I wonder if the local Fire Brigade could help if you contact them and ask for a safety check to be made on her flat. I'm sure she has a smoke alarm fitted but asking them if extra ones should be fitted in each room should get a response from them.