Fronto-temporal dementia

lilypat

Mar 1, 2019
Yorkshire
Morning. Well this afternoon I plan to tackle a large pile of paper work God (and the fact OH says he wants to watch the racing on TV )willing .
We will see how much of it I actually get done.
Hope you have a good day

Jackimags

Mar 1, 2019
South yorkshire
Morning. Well this afternoon I plan to tackle a large pile of paper work God (and the fact OH says he wants to watch the racing on TV )willing .
We will see how much of it I actually get done.
Hope you have a good day
Did you get all your paperwork done? I’ve been doing the online banking plus taking OH for an eye appt at hospital. Not been a bad day really but it’s not evening yet. Let’s hope we both have a calm one x

lilypat

Mar 1, 2019
Yorkshire
Hi yes I did thanks all done .I try not to let him get any mail as he either frets over it or talks about it forever so I had a stash to see to oh I need to tackle the banking too maybe this weekend? .weather ok here sunny but breezy. Just had daughter on phone calling tomorrow lunch time .
Well he pacing asking for tea we are running late ! So better get on .peaceful thoughts and here to to calm night

lilypat

Mar 1, 2019
Yorkshire
Well we have had a fun day. Daughter called on way home from a meeting. OH sort of joined in with the conversation. No oddness at all but seemed wooden she said he gave no hug goodbye ...I have noticed a retreat in the affection.
A friend has put 2 new handles on his old hand plough -in secret- not much emotion when discovered but NOW constant remarks about how well they look ..must buy the chap a drink tonight .
Saw doctor this am just a check up told her about TP and how much it has helped me knowing here is people like yourself out there to help .I really do thank you

Jackimags

Mar 1, 2019
South yorkshire
Well we have had a fun day. Daughter called on way home from a meeting. OH sort of joined in with the conversation. No oddness at all but seemed wooden she said he gave no hug goodbye ...I have noticed a retreat in the affection.
A friend has put 2 new handles on his old hand plough -in secret- not much emotion when discovered but NOW constant remarks about how well they look ..must buy the chap a drink tonight .
Saw doctor this am just a check up told her about TP and how much it has helped me knowing here is people like yourself out there to help .I really do thank you
No- I thank you! Think our OH’s are about the same stage except I can’t leave mine cos he would go out looking for me. We have been to one of our groups held at our gp surgery this afternoon. We both enjoy it and have made some new friends- but no one has FTD! Most have Alzheimer’s. Lots of tea coffee, cake and conversation. My sister is coming to stay for s week on Sunday so look forward to that. She lives down on the south coast so is a long journey for her. Hope it warms up a bit this weekend as I have some strawberry plants to pot up. Have a peaceful evening and thanks for your support and interesting posts x

Jackimags

Mar 1, 2019
South yorkshire
Why oh why. After a really good day within 10 mins completely flipped because he didn’t like the liquid soap in the loo and wanted me to order some loccitane at £18 - and I said no!! Hurled a rude word at me - totally out of character- and is now stomping around upstairs. It’s as if there is a switch on his back that somebody flips on. So much for a good day all day!!!

Jackimags

Mar 1, 2019
South yorkshire
@Jackimags Oh No that's not good .strange how things set them off . I hope He settled down .if not my thoughts are with u .let me know in the morning.
Morning. Well it took 2 hrs from him getting ready for bed to actually getting in there. He then slept till 7.30 and now thinks it’s the inevitable Sunday! Might make the garden centre this morning but not mentioning it till we are ready to walk out of the door. Shopping delivery this afternoon which is a great help. Hope you have a calm day x

lilypat

Mar 1, 2019
Yorkshire
What is it with Sunday's! I am also sure they have a sixth sense of when we are trying to do something that needs total concentration. Twice today I have started jobs when I was sure he was settled only for him to come and stand there .... .so its yes do you want . ? .. etc etc.and a hour later give up what I started .
Did you go to garden centre? And was there something special you wanted .
I managed 2 & 1/2 onlone in town this morning OH was dropped off at eldest daughters ,
Have finished sewing the hems on trousers thank goodness ,
Well we are calm here at moment, hows your end , ?
Guess what its SUNDAY tomorrow ha ha
Sending peaceful thoughts

Jackimags

Mar 1, 2019
South yorkshire
What is it with Sunday's! I am also sure they have a sixth sense of when we are trying to do something that needs total concentration. Twice today I have started jobs when I was sure he was settled only for him to come and stand there .... .so its yes do you want . ? .. etc etc.and a hour later give up what I started .
Did you go to garden centre? And was there something special you wanted .
I managed 2 & 1/2 onlone in town this morning OH was dropped off at eldest daughters ,
Have finished sewing the hems on trousers thank goodness ,
Well we are calm here at moment, hows your end , ?
Guess what its SUNDAY tomorrow ha ha
Sending peaceful thoughts
Yes we made it to garden centre. I wanted a white Camasia and got one. Also a few pot plants. Every time I turned round he was there! After I had watered them in with the hose I asked him to turn the tap off as thought we couldn’t go far wrong there- WRONG. Instead he pulled the connector off the tap without turning the tap off and got soaked. Decided gardening is a job for when he’s not around!!! Every time I go into kitchen to get a meal ready he’s behind me, moving things, putting things away etc etc etc. Drives me mad. We’ve just watched Greatest Showman dvd- very good. OH just gone up to bed 9pm but will put bets he’ll be back down before long. Looking forward to my sister arriving tomorrow and she’s a great support. Have a good sleep x

lilypat

Mar 1, 2019
Yorkshire
Morning your plant sounds nice .
Bet your really looking forward to seeing your sister.
OH wanted to go to bed at 9pm last night our first time with that but I
Managed to distract. With a funny programme.
We have just had our first disaster of the day very burnt toast .kitchen filled with smoke. !
No plans for today I feel it could be a long one

Jackimags

Mar 1, 2019
South yorkshire
Morning your plant sounds nice .
Bet your really looking forward to seeing your sister.
OH wanted to go to bed at 9pm last night our first time with that but I
Managed to distract. With a funny programme.
We have just had our first disaster of the day very burnt toast .kitchen filled with smoke. !
No plans for today I feel it could be a long one
Is it just me or is the patience just not there some days. Cos mine isn’t with me today. Ime trying to get a meal ready and I turn round and OH behind me. If I go to cooker when I turn round utensils etc all been moved. I know ime getting wound up and cross but can’t stop myself. Think the g&t could be early today. Hope your day is going better than mine!

lilypat

Mar 1, 2019
Yorkshire
@Jackimags Oh dear I know that feeling .its hard work sometimes, my OH is in past mode today we are reliving every past thing his work mates have every said to him ,plus all the places we have been ..
Have started to get him every morning to try on stuff for our may holiday ie weight gain may need larger t shirts etc the moaning was unbelievable.
Roll on treat time a small Malibu has my name on it

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
I hope you dont mind me butting in, but I thought I would mention a phenomenon well known on here, which doesnt have a medical name, but we call being in "host/hostess mode" Its a really annoying phenomenon where the person with dementia can sort of pull themself together and seem almost normal in front of medical people and when someone comes to visit. They doent seem to do it purposely (it seems to be a subconscious survival instinct), but it takes a lot of effort and they can only maintain it for short periods of time, so they end up more confused and grumpy afterwards.
So the end result is as you have seen - someone comes to visit, they go into "host mode", the person visiting thinks they are fine and you are exaggerating and you are left with dealing with the aftermath and wonder why they cant do it for you :mad::(
Its very irritating.
Oh yes, oh yes. All fine and cheery, bundles of fun, life and soul .... laughs and giggles ... but once there's no audience then the shutters come down and the truculent, forgetful, snitty snipey 4 year old person takes over the body of my dear OH. It sort of looks like him, and it sometimes sounds like him but it's a changeling, placed in my care by the wicked witches. And I want to sob.
Even at GP or assessment appointments the bright and shiny gleams and glitters and I'm sure it seems like I'm some fretful old biddy trying to gaslight her other half into some dark and scarey place. Garrrrrhhhhhhhh!
But hey-ho ..... it is what it is ..... he's still in there somewhere. I just have to recognise it and help him keep it on the surface.

Jackimags

Mar 1, 2019
South yorkshire
@Jackimags Oh dear I know that feeling .its hard work sometimes, my OH is in past mode today we are reliving every past thing his work mates have every said to him ,plus all the places we have been ..
Have started to get him every morning to try on stuff for our may holiday ie weight gain may need larger t shirts etc the moaning was unbelievable.
Roll on treat time a small Malibu has my name on it
Had a fairly calm day. Went out for coffee (and cake) this morning and a relaxing afternoon. My sister managed to keep OH busy while I cooked tonight. Bit of retail therapy with my sister in the morning while OH goes out for 3 hrs with carer. Hope you have had a good day too

lilypat

Mar 1, 2019
Yorkshire
Hi Jackimags I did wonder how your day had been .all calmness st the moment.
We popped out for coffee and cake too courtesy of "tiger roll " we won the sweepstake at our local club.
OH has decided that he would rather not carry money now .
Enjoy your sister's stay and happy shopping tomorrow

Jackimags

Mar 1, 2019
South yorkshire
What is it about evenings. After a fairly good day the shutters came down and everything went belly up. OH went up to go to bed 8.30 and by 10pm after being up and downstairs about 8 times he was still not in bed. I had a pile of ironing in the spare room where I do my ironing- and it’s disappeared! Will be a job tomorrow trying to find it- wardrobe, drawers, airing cupboard, washing basket- who knows!! It’s now about 10.30 and thankfully gone quiet. I have got more and more wound up. How does anyone else out there deal with this sort of problem?

lilypat

Mar 1, 2019
Yorkshire
@Jackimags my heart goes out to you How ever do you cope with that nightly.
Hows the hunt for your ironing ?
I made the mistake of mentioning that we are going out Wednesday for shopping and Thursday for a meal with friends...my head hurts he is constantly repeating asking for the details.
How was your retail therapy.

Jackimags

Mar 1, 2019
South yorkshire
@Jackimags my heart goes out to you How ever do you cope with that nightly.
Hows the hunt for your ironing ?
I made the mistake of mentioning that we are going out Wednesday for shopping and Thursday for a meal with friends...my head hurts he is constantly repeating asking for the details.
How was your retail therapy.
Found most of the ironing- never thought I would be looking for ironing!! The retail therapy was good. A pair of M&S jeans reduced from £29.50 to £7.50- bargain. We all keep making the mistake of saying what we are going to do- when will we learn. So hard not doing what we’ve always done for the past however many years. Keep smiling x

lilypat

Mar 1, 2019
Yorkshire
good morning ,what a bargain your jeans were ,well done
has anyone given you any help with your question about OH ? you may need to start a new post
3 times already this am I have been questioned about todays events
running very late but just needed to tell you about finding some shoes I had popped in the dustbin (worn out) back in the kitchen ! his reply was I will need a NEW pair when these I have on wear out !! ( he has 10 pairs upstairs )
oh here we go again yes today is Wednesday and yes we are going shopping and yes in the car !!!!!!!!! Maybe I should record myself ha ha