Type 1 diabetes and Dementia

Karen22

Nov 3, 2012
Hi,

I wonder if anyone has any experience of - or knows about - end of life care for someone with Type 1 diabetes and dementia? We aren't quite there yet with dad but there are days when he will refuse to have his insulin and/or eat. As this is necessary for him I'm wondering how it can be handled. After his whole adult life diligently managing his diabetes dad often doesn't know why and won't accept he needs insulin.

Thank you.

Karen

joanne d

Feb 9, 2013
Hi,

I wonder if anyone has any experience of - or knows about - end of life care for someone with Type 1 diabetes and dementia? We aren't quite there yet with dad but there are days when he will refuse to have his insulin and/or eat. As this is necessary for him I'm wondering how it can be handled. After his whole adult life diligently managing his diabetes dad often doesn't know why and won't accept he needs insulin.

Thank you.

Karen

joanne d

Feb 9, 2013
Hi Karen
My dad was insulin dependent from middle age to his late sixties/ early 70s . He was taken off insulin in his 70s when dementia was diagnosed , he lost weight and subsequently only required medication to control the diabetes. He was fairly ok on medication only for quite a while even when his Alzheimers took hold and he had to be admitted into care. It was only towards the end that the diabetes also became a complication. He was admitted to hospital with uncontrolled diabetes and never came out. Ultimately it was the Alzheimers that took him but his physical condition played a part. Organ failure , bladder and bowel infections etc. if your dad is close to end of life I dont think , as in my dad's case, the treatment is effective anyway. Ultimately all treatment except palliative care was deemed to be invasive and not in dad s interest, He was much more comfortable after this decision was made. I am not saying that your dads situation is the same but I advise that the medics know best and perhaps a chat with them is appropriate? Has your dad lost weight and maybe the inulin is no so essential and meds would suffice? I wish you the best of luck in this stressful time and may your dad be as comfortable as is possible .

Karen22

Nov 3, 2012
Hi Karen
My dad was insulin dependent from middle age to his late sixties/ early 70s . He was taken off insulin in his 70s when dementia was diagnosed , he lost weight and subsequently only required medication to control the diabetes. He was fairly ok on medication only for quite a while even when his Alzheimers took hold and he had to be admitted into care. It was only towards the end that the diabetes also became a complication. He was admitted to hospital with uncontrolled diabetes and never came out. Ultimately it was the Alzheimers that took him but his physical condition played a part. Organ failure , bladder and bowel infections etc. if your dad is close to end of life I dont think , as in my dad's case, the treatment is effective anyway. Ultimately all treatment except palliative care was deemed to be invasive and not in dad s interest, He was much more comfortable after this decision was made. I am not saying that your dads situation is the same but I advise that the medics know best and perhaps a chat with them is appropriate? Has your dad lost weight and maybe the inulin is no so essential and meds would suffice? I wish you the best of luck in this stressful time and may your dad be as comfortable as is possible .
Thank you. I wouldn't imagine that dad could go onto medication having been type 1 diabetic for over 60 years but I know that the Home do miss insulin doses on occasion when he hasn't eaten and his blood sugars are low. Dad has been at death's door so many times, it seems, and yet keeps bouncing back. He has lost weight but I don't believe he is end of life at the moment. He can eat well at times, especially earlier in the day. It's just so distressing seeing him in pain and refusing his meds and insulin, and I wonder what the future holds.
Karen

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet