Busy Hands

Blodski

Sep 3, 2017
Conwy
My mother has mixed dementa and has always been an extremely active and busy person. In fact, her care home says she does not stop all day and is most content when kep busy with the laundry etc.

I'd like to think of something I can give her to help keep her busy, especially with her hands. I thought of knitting, but that may be too complex. Crosswords and puzzles will be too taxing. One of the residents has a dolly she has with her at all times, so maybe a soft toy would provide a sense of caring for something.

If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Have you thought about a colouring book - the nursing home where mum is have arts and crafts and initially when asked if she would like to colour in a picture she refused point blank. However a couple of weeks ago she presented us with a picture of a rose that she had coloured in and she was very proud of it.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
What about a twiddle muff or twiddle bag?
Either bought or home made.
P1020573.jpg

08cd9a288e528463d8d815c589c35a1f.jpg

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Great idea, exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Do you know where I can buy them?

Mr Google suggests
https://www.google.com/search?q=twiddle+muff&rlz=1C1CHBD_en-GBGB774GB774&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjzndTalajhAhVOQhUIHacrB70Q_AUIDygC&biw=1366&bih=625

You might also find that some local charities run 'knit and natter' sessions using donated materials, anything you pay goes to charity.

Wherever you purchase from check that all small items are firmly fixed and can't be pulled off and swallowed, think same as giving to a small child.

Last edited:

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
IMG_2207.JPG
Twiddle muffs are very easy to make, even if you can only do very basic knitting. Or know someone else who can. Knitters with a stash to use up might well like to! I've made some for my local hospital, two of them here.
My pattern comes up via google if you put in Oxford University Hospitals twiddle muff.

Last edited:

loulou52

Apr 6, 2019
My mother has mixed dementa and has always been an extremely active and busy person. In fact, her care home says she does not stop all day and is most content when kep busy with the laundry etc.

I'd like to think of something I can give her to help keep her busy, especially with her hands. I thought of knitting, but that may be too complex. Crosswords and puzzles will be too taxing. One of the residents has a dolly she has with her at all times, so maybe a soft toy would provide a sense of caring for something.

If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

loulou52

Apr 6, 2019
Hello, as your mother enjoys doing the laundry, she might enjoy doing other everyday things, like folding clothes/textiles, hanging items on clothes drier, washing up, dusting, cleaning, laying tables, sorting things, filling jars.... I hope this is helpful.