Respite

India7

Mar 28, 2019
Good afternoon, new to the forum but desperate for some help. Mum has Alzheimer's and Vascular Dementia, diagnosed August 2014, she lives at home with my husband and I. We are trying to get some, much needed, respite sorted but everywhere I phone am getting the same answer, I can only pre-book the respite a couple of days in advance. I work in a school and have to take my leave during school holidays, which is obviously a busy time! Mum needs nursing care. We live in Northern Ireland. What basically I am asking is, does anyone out there have the name of a nursing home that will take a respite booking in advance? Because all the nursing homes are privately owned they are run as a business and therefore will not take a booking in advance at the risk of missing out on a permanent placement in the empty bed. Thank you for your time.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @India7, welcome to the forum.

I think that you have already encountered the biggest problem with what you are seeking.

Maybe your local Social Worker could help.

In the hope that something is of use to you here are links to some relevant Factsheets and pages where you can do post code searches for Support Groups or Care Homes

https://www.carehome.co.uk/

NI factsheet: Respite care in Northern Ireland (NI462)
PDF printable version

NI factsheet: Community care assessment (NI418)
PDF printable version

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

clarice2

Mar 13, 2016
Good afternoon, new to the forum but desperate for some help. Mum has Alzheimer's and Vascular Dementia, diagnosed August 2014, she lives at home with my husband and I. We are trying to get some, much needed, respite sorted but everywhere I phone am getting the same answer, I can only pre-book the respite a couple of days in advance. I work in a school and have to take my leave during school holidays, which is obviously a busy time! Mum needs nursing care. We live in Northern Ireland. What basically I am asking is, does anyone out there have the name of a nursing home that will take a respite booking in advance? Because all the nursing homes are privately owned they are run as a business and therefore will not take a booking in advance at the risk of missing out on a permanent placement in the empty bed. Thank you for your time.

clarice2

Mar 13, 2016
When I was having a building work done I had the same problem. I only found 1 nursing home which could be booked in advance and this was more expensive. I am not sure if I am allowed to post the name on here. It was very nice with Bistro, hair salon and quite fancy. As my husband was bedridden the facilities and surroundings were no use to us but we needed to book in advance. If you want the name please reply and I will try to send you a message.

lis66

Aug 7, 2015
Hi India 7 I am also from Northern Ireland and work in school,I am finding it impossible for mum to get resendital care,everytime dad has been taken into hospital ,I have had to come out of work ,if she needed nursing care it would be so much easier ,can your social worker not help you .

India7

Mar 28, 2019
Thank you for your replies.

I have contacted many many nursing homes, some come back saying I cannot book in advance, many just don't bother replying.

Clarice2, can I just ask, is the nursing home you are taking about in Northern Ireland?

clarice2

Mar 13, 2016
Thank you for your replies.

I have contacted many many nursing homes, some come back saying I cannot book in advance, many just don't bother replying.

Clarice2, can I just ask, is the nursing home you are taking about in Northern Ireland?
No, sorry I didn't register that you were in Northern Ireland. I will check to see if they have one there but I doubt it. If they have I will message you. Good luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba