Inappropriate behaviour, and how to react to it?

VerityH

Aug 21, 2018
I had a call yesterday from my mum's care home to say that she had been locked in her room (from the inside) with a male resident and they were both naked! I wasn't able to go into details much at the time because I was in hospital with my dad, who was just being prepped for theatre, so I've asked for a meeting with mum's care home to discuss.

Since mum went into the care home (different care home to dad, who also has dementia), she has often thought a couple of the gents there were her husband (bald and old seem to be the criteria, which makes sense!). She is always kissing them, and making sure they're ok, as she always did with my dad (though less kissing then as he was always quite grumpy). One resident in particular thinks that mum is his wife. When she moved in he thought another resident was his wife, but he has now moved on to mum. He is very sweet and always telling her how much he loves her and likes to reminisce about their life together. I thought it was rather sweet, as mum had never had that sort of attention from dad. However, a couple of weeks ago it started upsetting mum, and the staff said they were trying to keep them away from each other a bit as mum had been hiding behind staff members saying that he was annoying her (though when I visited last Thursday, they were lunching together without staff doing anything about it). Mum said last Thursday that she didn't like to get out of bed at night 'so as not to disturb the other person in the bed', which rang alarm bells in my head, but she does live in a delusional world, so I didn't mention it to the staff. After the phone call yesterday, I am a bit more worried. Mum and the chap are 84 and 88 respectively, so I'm not worried about a teenage pregnancy (!), but I do feel that in mum's mental state, she is not 'competent' to agree to any sexual activity and, whilst I'm sure the gent isn't intentionally being abusive in any way, I do not think this sort of thing should be allowed to go on in a dementia care unit. It may not have been in the middle of the night, as mum retires quite early, so even if I insist a member of staff be stationed outside her room at night I'm not sure that would help.

Do any of you have any thoughts? I don't want to start a big old fuss, as mum is generally happy in this home and it is a good environment for her for the most part, but I do worry that she doesn't really understand that what is going on is wrong. She's only ever been with my dad, they've been married 60 years and dad is still alive, but we had to put them into separate homes because their relationship (dad loud and shouty and mum vague and incoherent) was upsetting mum and the other residents when they were together.

Any advice or sensible suggestions as to how I should handle this with mum's home would be appreciated.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Gosh, this is a difficult one.
My mum was convinced that she was married to one of the residents (it didnt help that he had the same name as my dad), but fortunately the gentleman concerned knew that it wasnt true, so it never got that far. The staff still had to keep them apart until the delusion passed, though.

This would have had to be reported to safeguarding, so the home should be on high alert - more incidents will trigger CQC involvement. Ask for a meeting with the manager and ask how he/she will deal with the situation. One possibility is an alarm at her door at night which will alert staff if anyone goes in or out of her room.

VerityH

Aug 21, 2018
Gosh, this is a difficult one.
My mum was convinced that she was married to one of the residents (it didnt help that he had the same name as my dad), but fortunately the gentleman concerned knew that it wasnt true, so it never got that far. The staff still had to keep them apart until the delusion passed, though.

This would have had to be reported to safeguarding, so the home should be on high alert - more incidents will trigger CQC involvement. Ask for a meeting with the manager and ask how he/she will deal with the situation. One possibility is an alarm at her door at night which will alert staff if anyone goes in or out of her room.
Thanks for your response. When I got home late-ish last night I sent an email to the home asking for a meeting. The manager is currently on unexplained 'leave' and none of the staff will elaborate! The home had a terrible reputation a couple of years ago, but a new management team were put in place who completely turned it around. Now the two managers have gone, and they are without a full management team (though the area manager is now based there as she lives close by and uses their office). I don't generally have any worries about safeguarding, and am happy with the home, but this is a tricky problem, which we need to find a solution for. Mum might be perfectly happy to sleep with the fellow, but I don't actually think she has 'capacity' to make that decision for herself, now that she has not got a normally functioning brain and is, to all intents and purposes, a child.

there was a phone in on the radio last week about when you finally feel like a 'grown up'. For me it was when I became parent to my parnets! Good grief, I just got rid of my kid to uni and was hoping for a little respite from parental responsibilities!!! (only joking!).

istherelight?

Feb 15, 2017
Hi @VerityH
Such a tricky situation! When my Mum first went into her CH she became obsessed with a male resident, and would give his wife "death looks" when the wife visited. She was so convinced that they were having a relationship and was very persistent ( though nothing physical happened) and would keep trying to involve me in their "conversations". He was very disabled and hadn't got a clue what she was talking about but that didn't stop her. To Mum it was a very real relationship and I can see how these things can develop.
The CH staff did say that where a more physical relationship seemed to be looming, or in fact in any situation where inappropriate behaviour was likely, they would use a sensor mat by the door of either or both of the residents involved.
Don't know if this would work in your Mum's case but additional care is obviously needed.

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
I would agree about the point about a sensor mat in the room at night so that staff are aware of movement and may be able to stop any recurrence.
My Mum also has hourly checks on her during the night. Perhaps the staff could do this more frequently as this has occurred.
One of the ladies in my Mum's unit is very *keen* when male visitors arrive (very few male residents) so I think this happens quite a lot.
Is it possible that either of them could be moved to rooms further away from each other or in different places to try and break the cycle of behaviour?

VerityH

Aug 21, 2018
I had a call yesterday from my mum's care home to say that she had been locked in her room (from the inside) with a male resident and they were both naked! I wasn't able to go into details much at the time because I was in hospital with my dad, who was just being prepped for theatre, so I've asked for a meeting with mum's care home to discuss.

Since mum went into the care home (different care home to dad, who also has dementia), she has often thought a couple of the gents there were her husband (bald and old seem to be the criteria, which makes sense!). She is always kissing them, and making sure they're ok, as she always did with my dad (though less kissing then as he was always quite grumpy). One resident in particular thinks that mum is his wife. When she moved in he thought another resident was his wife, but he has now moved on to mum. He is very sweet and always telling her how much he loves her and likes to reminisce about their life together. I thought it was rather sweet, as mum had never had that sort of attention from dad. However, a couple of weeks ago it started upsetting mum, and the staff said they were trying to keep them away from each other a bit as mum had been hiding behind staff members saying that he was annoying her (though when I visited last Thursday, they were lunching together without staff doing anything about it). Mum said last Thursday that she didn't like to get out of bed at night 'so as not to disturb the other person in the bed', which rang alarm bells in my head, but she does live in a delusional world, so I didn't mention it to the staff. After the phone call yesterday, I am a bit more worried. Mum and the chap are 84 and 88 respectively, so I'm not worried about a teenage pregnancy (!), but I do feel that in mum's mental state, she is not 'competent' to agree to any sexual activity and, whilst I'm sure the gent isn't intentionally being abusive in any way, I do not think this sort of thing should be allowed to go on in a dementia care unit. It may not have been in the middle of the night, as mum retires quite early, so even if I insist a member of staff be stationed outside her room at night I'm not sure that would help.

Do any of you have any thoughts? I don't want to start a big old fuss, as mum is generally happy in this home and it is a good environment for her for the most part, but I do worry that she doesn't really understand that what is going on is wrong. She's only ever been with my dad, they've been married 60 years and dad is still alive, but we had to put them into separate homes because their relationship (dad loud and shouty and mum vague and incoherent) was upsetting mum and the other residents when they were together.

Any advice or sensible suggestions as to how I should handle this with mum's home would be appreciated.
Thanks for your helpful (and reassuring) comments I'm still trying to get a response to my email but to be fair I've been in the hospital with dad for 2days so I haven't had time to try that hard. I'll definitely ask about an alarm mat.

Juliematch

Jun 24, 2017
I’m sorry you are having to deal with this when your dad is ill.Its a difficult situation,as I am finding out with my dad. Apparently when my sister visited on Sunday,he introduced his new wife and then asked if another bed could go in his room. The lady had moved some of her things into his wardrobe but I don’t really think she knows what is going on. I cleared it out and made sure the carers and manager knew what was going on. I’m worried how far he would go as he has no inhibitions. Up to now it’s just kissing her hand but I would hate for him to try anything else as I don’t think she could give consent.I’m really glad he’s happy and settled but this new side of the dementia is hard .I never ever thought I’d be in this situation,but that’s dementia for you.Always surprising and challenging. I hope you manage to speak to the manager and insist ,as mums not happy,that they take some sort of action. I hope your dad is soon on the mend. Best wishes.

VerityH

Aug 21, 2018
I’m sorry you are having to deal with this when your dad is ill.Its a difficult situation,as I am finding out with my dad. Apparently when my sister visited on Sunday,he introduced his new wife and then asked if another bed could go in his room. The lady had moved some of her things into his wardrobe but I don’t really think she knows what is going on. I cleared it out and made sure the carers and manager knew what was going on. I’m worried how far he would go as he has no inhibitions. Up to now it’s just kissing her hand but I would hate for him to try anything else as I don’t think she could give consent.I’m really glad he’s happy and settled but this new side of the dementia is hard .I never ever thought I’d be in this situation,but that’s dementia for you.Always surprising and challenging. I hope you manage to speak to the manager and insist ,as mums not happy,that they take some sort of action. I hope your dad is soon on the mend. Best wishes.
Thanks. It's a tricky one for sure. Dad's back in his care home tonight. My sister and I were too exhausted to go to mum's home by the time wewe got him discharged (plus it was time for carers to be putting residents to bed and management would have gone home) so we'll try and get to see someone tomorrow. Dad surprisingly chipper after his op, but now remembers his bungalow (which he'd forgotten about and we just agreed a sale on) but had no idea he'd been living in a care home for 7 months. Brains, eh? Weird and unpredictable. Now I'm off to bed

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
I hope you managed to have your meeting today and that the home have put a plan into action. Glad to hear you dad is out of hospital.

VerityH

Aug 21, 2018
I hope you managed to have your meeting today and that the home have put a plan into action. Glad to hear you dad is out of hospital.
My sister did. Mum and the chap are now on 15 min checks night and day. They're were happily walking the corridor together when my sister arrived, which is not unusual. At least now the home are aware of the issue they are able to keep an eye on things. I think I may have over reacted a bit, but it's so worrying when you're parenting your own parents, and it's been a bit of a week with dad having surgery. He's come through brilliantly, by the way. The man is a medical marvel!

VerityH

Aug 21, 2018
Im glad they have sorted out a plan and FWIW, I dont think you were over reacting.
Thanks. It's so hard to know how you are supposed to react in these new circumstances! Every day is a learning curve with two parents with dementia. Whoever thought my dear old mum would be exhibiting delinquent behaviour at 84?! That was always my job!