Can I ask for advice please?

charlie10

Dec 20, 2018
@KatieR ....really sorry that you have been left to deal with this on your own, it must be so distressing for you. Does Portugal have a mental health service? (I'm sure it must have but I have no knowledge of Portugal).....you need to get some medical recognition that he has a cognitive/behavioural problem and if he is combative as well then he obviously needs help.....is that what the place he's going to is? Also is there an expat community in Portugal with a forum? As many people who relocate there might be older, there might be expats who've had this problem. Can your supportive stepdaughter hunt for support groups, whether official or informal, so that you have people to talk to who know the set-up in Portugal. I'm assuming Citizen's Advice Bureaus don't exist there but maybe there's something similar? Sorry I can't help with personal experience so I'm trying to think of ways you could connect with carers locally to give you some support....sorry if I'm' teaching grandmother to suck eggs'! I'm a big believer in networking....sometimes the most unlikely person can come up with something useful.

I hope you manage to get your family to see the situation from your perspective as well as their dad's, dealing with the family can make things so much more difficult....is there any way you could get your stepson to look after his dad while you had a break? Take care of yourself and you know there are lots of people listening to you on this forum

KatieR

Mar 13, 2019
@KatieR ....really sorry that you have been left to deal with this on your own, it must be so distressing for you. Does Portugal have a mental health service? (I'm sure it must have but I have no knowledge of Portugal).....you need to get some medical recognition that he has a cognitive/behavioural problem and if he is combative as well then he obviously needs help.....is that what the place he's going to is? Also is there an expat community in Portugal with a forum? As many people who relocate there might be older, there might be expats who've had this problem. Can your supportive stepdaughter hunt for support groups, whether official or informal, so that you have people to talk to who know the set-up in Portugal. I'm assuming Citizen's Advice Bureaus don't exist there but maybe there's something similar? Sorry I can't help with personal experience so I'm trying to think of ways you could connect with carers locally to give you some support....sorry if I'm' teaching grandmother to suck eggs'! I'm a big believer in networking....sometimes the most unlikely person can come up with something useful.

I hope you manage to get your family to see the situation from your perspective as well as their dad's, dealing with the family can make things so much more difficult....is there any way you could get your stepson to look after his dad while you had a break? Take care of yourself and you know there are lots of people listening to you on this forum

Thank you so much for responding Charlie10. Portugal, unfortunately, is waaaaay behind in taking care of its senior citizens (I think I mentioned before it's considered the role of the family to be the carers). I really really hope I can get my husband into a place that, although it's a hospital, has a full floor devoted for people with neurological or dementia problems and its role is to try and stimulate them and make them as active as possible. He so needs this - at the moment he's stuck in hospital, restrained and it's awful.