LPA agreement?

Vic10

Feb 18, 2017
i have done OH banking for years. He freely admits to knowing he wouldn’t have a clue anymore, in fact I don’t think he would even know which bank we use. He is very happy with this arrangement but I appreciate now that I really ought to have power of attorney. He doesn’t think there is any reason to. How do I get him to agree?

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Could you say that there's been a few technical problems with the bank's computer system so you need the form as back up in case you can't use the on-line banking?

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
Could you suggest the bank is tightening up on their procedures (which in truth a lot are) and they are planning to stop you from acting on his behalf without a POA.
Or maybe the shops or other places will not let you use his bank card without a POA. Lots of places are tightening up their procedures- I tried to talk to my local council re my MIL’s council tax reduction. They would only discuss it if I either registered the POA with them or went back to her house for her to give verbal consent on the phone for them to talk to me.
And of course reassure him that the POA can only be used either with his consent or if he becomes unable to do things himself, a safeguard in case of a sudden decline (because by the time he is incapable of making the decision you cannot get POA).

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Vic10
might you suggest you both arrange LPAs as you've heard this is now standard for anyone with a bit of money and property, as is having an uptodate will, and Martin Lewis the money expert advises this, so it must be sensible ... which he does on his website
as long as you each have a couple of Attorneys to act jointly and severally (and a named replacement if possible) you could be each other's Attorney, so your husband doesn't think he is being singled out
https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney

Vic10

Feb 18, 2017
Thanks for your advise. The idea to do each other’s was the answer. Documentation now in the post! Another challenge ticked off the list.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa