Bathing and Hygiene Issues

kathyg21

Aug 10, 2015
I hope someone can assist. My brother is 73 and lives in a nursing home, having suffered from progressive dementia for the last 5 years.

They are having problems with his personal care as he refuses to let them clean him when he's soiled himself or have a shower. He gets very verbally and physically agressive when the carers (or family) try to persuade him to have a shower. He claims that "he doesn't want the bother" or "it's too cold and wet".

He has had persistent cellulitis on his legs for over a year now, regularly has conjunctivitis through rubbing his eyes with dirty hands, and we worry that this lack of hygiene is going to cause harmful and even life threatening physical issues.

We've all tried offering rewards or reasoning with him, but to no avail. Has anyone come across this problem before? If so, can you recommend a course of action we can try?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @kathyg21
sadly this is a familiar issue

with my dad, I used wipes and warm soapy flannels when he was reluctant to accept personal care - not as efficient as a shower but better than being left

the care home staff had large adult wipes and a can of cleansing mousse which enabled them to clean up pretty quickly and fairly efficiently at the time, in the hope that dad would accept a shower later

same thing for his hands, ie flannel or wipes and I 'massaged' his hands with the anti-bac gels

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I don't have experience of this situation but once read a case study where undressing a person for these reasons awoke bad memories from childhood and thus created the resistance. In that case they had to change the setting to one of a more clinical nature and wear uniforms so that the person felt it was less 'personal' and settled down.

I have read of other cases where the gender of the person giving the care was important or soft music was played to calm the person.

It's also important to avoid any embarrassment to the person. I know this is a huge factor with my wife when she has accidents.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
I don't have experience of this situation but once read a case study where undressing a person for these reasons awoke bad memories from childhood and thus created the resistance. In that case they had to change the setting to one of a more clinical nature and wear uniforms so that the person felt it was less 'personal' and settled down.

I have read of other cases where the gender of the person giving the care was important or soft music was played to calm the person.

It's also important to avoid any embarrassment to the person. I know this is a huge factor with my wife when she has accidents.
I can identify with this. My OH was resistant about dealing with his stoma and bag - the operation was within 3 weeks of his dementia diagnosis - and he did not understand any of it.
A stoma nurse suggested getting carers from an agency in uniform to come in and deal with it for him. The stoma nurse, in uniform, then very clearly and with authority, told OH he was forbidden to try and change the bag himself.
He obeyed and this regime has worked for 2 years now.....

TheBearsMummy

Sep 29, 2017
East Midlands
Our pwd is convinced she has a shower every night before she goes to bed so is very resistant and indignant about any suggestion about showering however one of her carers has a knack for getting her to allow it. It's a combination of uniform and no nonsense manner I think. None of the younger carers stand a chance of showering her but she will let them deal with her stoma

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita1968