Pain real or not

bmca

Nov 11, 2018
How can you tell if someone is in pain with dementia. My brother [59] has Downs and is constantly moaning and crying. Is it the dementia or pain or both .Is he going in and out with pain or dementia. He appears only to get pain in between his moaning bouts. He has just 2hrs ago come out of hospital and on painkillers. He was fine in hospital. Its stressing me out.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
That's a hard one.

After her dementia diagnosis my wife fixated on trivial matters concerning her health and a couple of years ago had me running back and forth to the GP about the same minor issues.

I think anxiety has a lot to do with such behaviour and in my wife's case an increase of my wife's anti anxiety meds helped with this and other issues.

It may be worth talking to the GP about this behaviour.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
All you can do, is to use your own judgement, and knowledge of the person.
Are they easily distracted, by a treat, or toy?
Maybe if other medication allows, a dose of Paracetamol, may settle them.

Bod

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
How can you tell if someone is in pain with dementia. My brother [59] has Downs and is constantly moaning and crying. Is it the dementia or pain or both .Is he going in and out with pain or dementia. He appears only to get pain in between his moaning bouts. He has just 2hrs ago come out of hospital and on painkillers. He was fine in hospital. Its stressing me out.
My husband complains about various aches and pains after going to the doctors (he was very understanding btw) many times we decided between us it was nothing serious and when I give him a couple of paracetamol the pain disappears quickly. Before this I was always worrying about the various aches and pains but as long as the two tablets do the trick I’m happy and my husband is

bmca

Nov 11, 2018
My husband complains about various aches and pains after going to the doctors (he was very understanding btw) many times we decided between us it was nothing serious and when I give him a couple of paracetamol the pain disappears quickly. Before this I was always worrying about the various aches and pains but as long as the two tablets do the trick I’m happy and my husband is

bmca

Nov 11, 2018
I'm sitting here now with him. He is half asleep with high pitched whining cry at intervals with lots of muttering followed by growls. He's angry. Is this the dementia? It seems his brain won't let him rest. When I leave the room he's worse. He's had painkillers. Looking for advise.

TheBearsMummy

Sep 29, 2017
East Midlands
bmca, I'm sorry I have no advice to give you but I wanted you to know you are not out there alone. I'm sure others on here are looking and listening and sending you silent thoughts and hugs.
Hopefully someone else may have practical suggestions for you to try. It's very distressing not knowing what is wrong or how to help your loved one especially if painkillers have not worked

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
What pain-killers is he on?
Is it possible he's addicted to them, and now needs a higher dose?
If so you will need expert help.

Bod