spray on, no rubbing in , moisturiser needed! Advice please.

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
OH now has extremely dry skin all over, flaking of arms, legs etc. and elbows, heels very dry!
I am concerned Of splitting skin.
He has carers for personal care, so they are only permitted to use anything prescribed by GP etc.
He is prescribed Dermol for showering and application to skin irritation on leg but I beleive there are spray on moisturisers that do not require and rubbing in and OH could be dressed immediately after use!
Was given E45 cream but it would not absorb and therefore marked clothing!
I have checked out leading brands on line , however, all stated spray on, rub in , dress.
Not suitable.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Many thanks.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Not sure it's exactly what you're looking for, but Olay Body do a 'Quench Mousse' which I've used (for myself!) and it's very good, with vitamin E and shea butter and stuff :)
You squirt some in your hand then kinda spread it on, but it's really light and pretty much absorbs straightaway. You don't need to rub it in but might have to 'pat gently' in places then wait a minute or two till it's absorbed.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Avon Skin So Soft is very good and if John itches he benefits from it being sprayed on. I used to buy it online as I didn’t have a rep.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
I am another who turned to the Avon Skin So Soft dry body oil spray when my husband developed dry skin. It has the advantage of acting as a mosquito repellent too - which was great as my husband's fair, Scottish skin seemed to attract them like a magnet.

I never rubbed it in - just lightly sprayed it on.

charlie10

Dec 20, 2018
Nivea (and probably some other brands) do an in-shower body lotion....maybe you could use that occasionally instead of the Dermol (activated by water and you can dress immediately, according to the blurb....make sure you have a non-slip mat in case it makes shower floor slippery. If he uses the bath as well, you can put oil etc in the water then just pat dry?

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
I have dry skin in the winter and use Vaseline Intensive spray (it's in a green can) they also do a cocoa butter one that is called Spray and Go. Says rub it in, but I only pass my hand over it to even it out as it absorbs really quickly.

There's also an E45 daily spray and an E45 extra moisturing. Again, it's a case of spray it on and then just gently smooth it out.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
OH has not long been seen by a dermatologist and he has the following regime for his overall itching and dry skin.

He can have either a long warm shower or a good soak in the bath. The warmth opens the pores and hastens the absorption of ointments and moisturizers. She prescribed an ointment brand name Tricortone (triamcinolone acetonide) which he has to pat onto his skin while still wet. Then he has another quick shower in the morning and uses Cetaphil, again patting it on. She recommended Aveeno Skin Relief for the times his skin gets itchy in between times. He has a lotion to apply to the scalp of an evening before going to bed.

It's very time consuming especially as I have to take him for UV treatments three times a week but he is able to do much of it himself. He is used to showering so I had to install grab bars around the bath and I managed to find a long nonslip mat.

I have to say that he is a lot more comfortable in only a few days so perhaps it's working.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Doublebase is excellent. You can get it prescribed by the doctor but it is a rub in moisturiser with a spray pump.

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
OH has E45 on prescription for all over dry skin. I would ask the carers to use more sparingly and there shouldn't be a problem absorbing it and getting dressed right away. I think carers often use too much due to the fact that they are wearing gloves, resulting in it being too clarty to be absorbed right away.

lots of alternative suggestions but unlikely that GP would prescribe those?

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
E45 do an Intense recovery spray.There are also some oil sprays but they have a high flamability risk which paraffin based emollients have. I would ask the Gp practice if they have a GP who has a special interest in dermatology - they should be more up to date on what is prescribable and most helpful

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
Hi one and all,
Many thanks to you for the replies. For ages now carers have been using the prescribed Dermol cream for both showering and application. Clearly good but not enough. As carers inform they can only use prescribed creams/ lotions etc it’s back to the GPs.
Hopefully when summer arrives I can use one of the suggested on exposed skin,

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
OH now has extremely dry skin all over, flaking of arms, legs etc. and elbows, heels very dry!
I am concerned Of splitting skin.
He has carers for personal care, so they are only permitted to use anything prescribed by GP etc.
He is prescribed Dermol for showering and application to skin irritation on leg but I beleive there are spray on moisturisers that do not require and rubbing in and OH could be dressed immediately after use!
Was given E45 cream but it would not absorb and therefore marked clothing!
I have checked out leading brands on line , however, all stated spray on, rub in , dress.
Not suitable.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Many thanks.
My mum is prescribed Hydromol which comes in a big tub,the carers add it to water for washing by scooping some out of the tub it melts in the water and is used for washing but lubricates/moisturises the skin