Hi - please give advice about pet.

Daisy50

Mar 18, 2019
Hi - I'm finding it difficult to cope with parent with dementia. She had her dog before her dementia really started to show itself - and had always had dogs for company as she has been alone for many years. She is devoted to her dog (and the dog to her) but she has recently been struggling to cope. I have found her giving the dog 'people food' so I left her lots of reminders - tried individually packing dogs food - but she just throws all reminders away and says no one has ever said anything before. The dog is now becoming overweight. She has been forgetting to let dog out regularly and consequently dog has started wetting inside - which parent doesn't clean up. I know for the dogs sake this cant go on but both will be devastated to be separated - and don't know how to approach this. Any ideas please?

MrCanuck

Jun 9, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Are you able to care for the dog at your place? You could then bring the dog with you when you visit your mom so she would still be able to see the dog regularly.

Depending on the level of dementia but could you substitute a stuffed toy? I got my mom a stuffed dog and she really took to it. She lived alone at the time (no real pets) and really latched on to that toy. Even throughout her time in the care home she had that stuffed dog.

BluTinks

Dec 7, 2018
I’m in exactly the same position as yourself,
I put my foot down 1 month ago & insisted we had a dog walker every day telling my relative that if she would not agree the dog had to go.
It has been difficult as sometimes the dog walker turns up& my relative forgets & we go through the auguement of the dog having to go
mine is giving so much human food the dog Can also get upset stomach which isn’t cleaned up, I have found the dog walker has helped the situation a little

Daisy50

Mar 18, 2019
Are you able to care for the dog at your place? You could then bring the dog with you when you visit your mom so she would still be able to see the dog regularly.

Depending on the level of dementia but could you substitute a stuffed toy? I got my mom a stuffed dog and she really took to it. She lived alone at the time (no real pets) and really latched on to that toy. Even throughout her time in the care home she had that stuffed dog.
Thank you it's something I have thought about - but worry it would be more upsetting as it is when she is on her own that she needs the companionship.

Daisy50

Mar 18, 2019
I’m in exactly the same position as yourself,
I put my foot down 1 month ago & insisted we had a dog walker every day telling my relative that if she would not agree the dog had to go.
It has been difficult as sometimes the dog walker turns up& my relative forgets & we go through the auguement of the dog having to go
mine is giving so much human food the dog Can also get upset stomach which isn’t cleaned up, I have found the dog walker has helped the situation a little
Thank you - I think this may be the way forward for the time being - it's a battle everytime we visit - ending in Mum becoming tearful - which is not what we want - but worry for the poor dog too.