I am a newbie asking for help about cameras.

Ann Teak

Mar 3, 2019
I need an indoor camera. It is to check my husband on his toilet trips in the night. I do not have a smart phone but I do have an Ipad and a large computer with internet access at home.
Does anyone know of a battery camera that enables me to download each morning?
He had his first stroke nearly 12 years ago which triggered vascular dementia. Now he has mixed dementia. Because I am deaf I do not always know how many times he gets up in the night.
I do not need an alarm on the camera, I would not hear it anyway. I have seen a thread on cameras, but am unsure if they would work for me. Because he sometimes has strange dreams he has been convinced there is someone in our flat and got out of bed. Sometimes I wake, sometimes not, I just want to make sure he is safe.
I would like to play back the night time each morning.
Thank you Ann Teak

Jo_

Feb 19, 2019
Hi Ann Teak, Check the thread @marionq had recently about cameras. I can't do links as not enough posts yet but the camera was about £40 from Amazon, mains powered. You could playback on your iPad or home computer. I think you would need a large SD memory card inserted into the camera. Your internet speed will need to be fast broadband. Bear in mind that to run the night time back it will run in real time, so to see 12 hours will take 12 hours. You can have the camera set up to only start recording when there is movement, then it saves it as individual small films, so when there is no movement it doesn't record, that might be best for your needs?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You could playback on your iPad or home computer. I think you would need a large SD memory card inserted into the camera

I think the camera has a motion detector in which case the memory card will not have to be that big as it will only record when it detects movement.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
My narrowboat neighbour has a motion activated wildlife camera (sometimes in the US called a trail camera) on his boat and it activates when it detects motion only. The battery lasts about 4 hours on time and well over 12 hours in standby mode before it needs charging.
If your husband is getting up it will switch on and film him and turn off when he stops moving so unless he's up overnight, all night, then it should easily cover one night.
Playback can be speeded up to x10 or x12 and on my car dashcam a 128Mb SD card holds over 12 hours recording in medium resolution so you can watch a hour in 6 minutes but if you have motion activated then there might only be a few minutes to watch.
Just google for a motion activated nightlife camera and loads come up but make sure that the SD card is the same size as the SD card in your ipad which I think is a microSD then you can pop the card out of the camera and put it into the ipad to watch it back that way you don't need to use the internet. If you want a camera that uploads to the icloud or wherever it will cost more so unless you want to watch from a remote location it isn't necessary.
I'd expect to pay around £50 - £75 for a 1080 resolution, motion activated with infra red night vision in case he doesn't turn the light on.
K

Ann Teak

Mar 3, 2019
Hi Ann Teak, Check the thread @marionq had recently about cameras. I can't do links as not enough posts yet but the camera was about £40 from Amazon, mains powered. You could playback on your iPad or home computer. I think you would need a large SD memory card inserted into the camera. Your internet speed will need to be fast broadband. Bear in mind that to run the night time back it will run in real time, so to see 12 hours will take 12 hours. You can have the camera set up to only start recording when there is movement, then it saves it as individual small films, so when there is no movement it doesn't record, that might be best for your needs?

Thank you very much Jo....this is such a help....Ann Teak

Ann Teak

Mar 3, 2019
My narrowboat neighbour has a motion activated wildlife camera (sometimes in the US called a trail camera) on his boat and it activates when it detects motion only. The battery lasts about 4 hours on time and well over 12 hours in standby mode before it needs charging.
If your husband is getting up it will switch on and film him and turn off when he stops moving so unless he's up overnight, all night, then it should easily cover one night.
Playback can be speeded up to x10 or x12 and on my car dashcam a 128Mb SD card holds over 12 hours recording in medium resolution so you can watch a hour in 6 minutes but if you have motion activated then there might only be a few minutes to watch.
Just google for a motion activated nightlife camera and loads come up but make sure that the SD card is the same size as the SD card in your ipad which I think is a microSD then you can pop the card out of the camera and put it into the ipad to watch it back that way you don't need to use the internet. If you want a camera that uploads to the icloud or wherever it will cost more so unless you want to watch from a remote location it isn't necessary.
I'd expect to pay around £50 - £75 for a 1080 resolution, motion activated with infra red night vision in case he doesn't turn the light on.
K

Ann Teak

Mar 3, 2019
Thank you Kevini, I am new to the site and it is a lovely feeling to have support from members.
Ann Teak

Ann Teak

Mar 3, 2019
I think the camera has a motion detector in which case the memory card will not have to be that big as it will only record when it detects movement.
Thank you Nitram, so glad I have found this site I appreciate your advice.
Ann Teak

Ann Teak

Mar 3, 2019
@Shedrech thank you for your help. It is so nice to feel I have some one watching my back. I love the fact we don't use our real names. I feel I can be more open now without thinking I am being disloyal to my husband by letting people know who he is.
Ann Teak

TheBearsMummy

Sep 29, 2017
East Midlands
Hello Ann Teak, we use Arlo which is more expensive but the batteries last several days. We can both access the cameras remotely and can switch to live mode if we need to see what's happening in real time.
We started with a basic camera which has no sound so would be fine for you then we added another one with sound which we have on the front door.
A basic one will suit your needs for now but we wished we had bought the more expensive one in the first place as we ended up spending again to upgrade as more supervision was needed.
Having the cameras in has given us peace of mind and is helping to keep our loved one in her own home.
My husband has a go-pro which he uses when out and about and he loves it

Ann Teak

Mar 3, 2019
Hello Ann Teak, we use Arlo which is more expensive but the batteries last several days. We can both access the cameras remotely and can switch to live mode if we need to see what's happening in real time.
We started with a basic camera which has no sound so would be fine for you then we added another one with sound which we have on the front door.
A basic one will suit your needs for now but we wished we had bought the more expensive one in the first place as we ended up spending again to upgrade as more supervision was needed.
Having the cameras in has given us peace of mind and is helping to keep our loved one in her own home.
My husband has a go-pro which he uses when out and about and he loves it
@The BearsMummy thank you so much for the answer. What a wonderful site this is ...so many people willing to help.
Ann Teak