I have a question.

lettersZZZ

Nov 17, 2018
My husband doesn't have a Dr's appointment for a month, he is on 3 pills Depakote, donepezil, memantine
can one the these cause excessive sleeping he sleep all day long, gets up to eat then back to bed...
Think I need to add more info.
My husband has Alzheimers and try to get violent a couple of times.. These pills are helping so much.
I tell you I get so much comfort by reading your post here as so many of you are going thru the very SAME things I am and it helps to read your post. I am just concerned with him sleeping so much. We have separate rooms and I know he gets up durning the night but I don't think for long but don't know for sure...
thank you so much for being here...

Last edited:

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
The thing about Alzheimer’s patterns is there is no pattern. Certain behaviours and symptoms are common but each individual has their own interpretation of that. Just when you get a handle on how things are they change again.

You don’t say how long he has been on these meds so it might just be an adjustment thing but I wouldn’t worry about it. Sleeping is better than giving you a hard time with aggression. Are you both safe if he is up during the night?

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
If it helps, my OH is on Memantine and I was told to give it at night because it could make him sleepy. He is due out of hospital tomorrow after 10 weeks and I notice he sleeps a lot but also he has is meds in the morning. I shall change it back to the evening.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @lettersZZZ. Welcome to the forum. I`m glad you decided to post.

If as you say the medication is helping so much I think I`d wait till the appointment just to see how your husband is once he is used to it. It often takes a while for the correct dose to be the most effective and perhaps after a month, if your husband is still sleeping so much the medication will be tweaked.

This is what happened when my husband was prescribed medication for aggression. It was monitored by the doctor and the dose was changed according to my husband`s needs.

It`s not ideal that he should sleep so much but while he is sleeping he is peaceful. Just be aware as the month goes on and he gets used to the dose he is on, the effect may change. Be sure you have a safe room in the house and a phone with you at all times. I hope I`m not scaring you. It is just best to be aware of the worst although hopefully the medication ensures it will never happen.

lettersZZZ

Nov 17, 2018
The thing about Alzheimer’s patterns is there is no pattern. Certain behaviours and symptoms are common but each individual has their own interpretation of that. Just when you get a handle on how things are they change again.

You don’t say how long he has been on these meds so it might just be an adjustment thing but I wouldn’t worry about it. Sleeping is better than giving you a hard time with aggression. Are you both safe if he is up during the night?

Thank you for your reply, he has been on these pills since Jan 29th. and like you said everyday is different.I think I know what to expect and it changes.. as for during the night I do have a lock on my room and he needs a walker to get around but I don't know what he is doing durning the night. You are right it is better when he is sleeping and you and the others have eased my mind , yes I would much rather he be sleeping then being aggressive ...

lettersZZZ

Nov 17, 2018
If it helps, my OH is on Memantine and I was told to give it at night because it could make him sleepy. He is due out of hospital tomorrow after 10 weeks and I notice he sleeps a lot but also he has is meds in the morning. I shall change it back to the evening.

I was told to give him Memantine twice a day, one morning and one night... I do have peace when he is sleeping,
I will wait and see what the Dr says.. thank you.

Maryland

Mar 30, 2015
North East UK
My husband doesn't have a Dr's appointment for a month, he is on 3 pills Depakote, donepezil, memantine
can one the these cause excessive sleeping he sleep all day long, gets up to eat then back to bed...
Think I need to add more info.
My husband has Alzheimers and try to get violent a couple of times.. These pills are helping so much.
I tell you I get so much comfort by reading your post here as so many of you are going thru the very SAME things I am and it helps to read your post. I am just concerned with him sleeping so much. We have separate rooms and I know he gets up durning the night but I don't think for long but don't know for sure...
thank you so much for being here...
Thank you for your reply, he has been on these pills since Jan 29th. and like you said everyday is different.I think I know what to expect and it changes.. as for during the night I do have a lock on my room and he needs a walker to get around but I don't know what he is doing durning the night. You are right it is better when he is sleeping and you and the others have eased my mind , yes I would much rather he be sleeping then being aggressive ...
Hi ZZZ - I presume these were prescribed by th consultant at the memory clinic. We have an assistant to the consultant which I see in between his visits and she said to ring anytime if I have any problems at all. You could try ringing someone from that department and they will ring you back, we have a phone no to ring someone 24/7 and they do always ring you back. My OH is in memantine as well in the maximum dose and they said to give him it between 6/7 pm usually give him it after he has had his tea. Hope he settles ok. This site is really good and if you have any problems someone will always try and help you out, take care