Hearing problems

Clarice cliff

Feb 15, 2019
My husband has early stage dementia. He has recently had a hearing test and needs a hearing aid but has refused to have one. I'm fed up having to repeat myself , it makes dealing with the dementia harder.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @claricecliff,
It may be that your husband has got beyond the stage when he'd be able to process wearing hearing aids even if he agreed to have one. I'm deaf and wearing aids does take some getting used to, your brain has to adapt to the sounds it is hearing and it may be that the noises your husband hears when trying them out just confuses him.
I played hearing aid fairy to my mother in law when one of her daughters persuaded her to have aids. Poor MiL had been scared wearing the aids back from the audiology clinic because the sounds in the car frightened her. She agreed the aids did help, but she doesn't really think she is deaf and I knew without me there to encourage her everyday (we only visit once a month or so) she'd never persevere.
It is annoying I agree, there are lots of times when I can see that it isn't my MiL's dementia that makes her say bizarre things, but that she's misheard what's been said.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s not as easy to get used to wearing a hearing aid as most people think. It requires a certain level of patience and perseverance. It is difficult enough for those who can follow advice and understand the aid needs getting used to.

I know it is frustrating having to continually repeat what you are saying so if you don`t mind @Clarice cliff, perhaps a few pointers will help.

If you are talking to a person with a hearing loss, please;

make sure you are facing the person so they can see your face

do not call them from another room, go to them before you speak

try to avoid talking to them when there is background noise eg radio, television

do not shout; it can make your facial expression look cross.

I hope this helps.

gotanybiscuits?

Jan 8, 2017
the beautiful south
My Dad has consistently refused a hearing aid over many decades.
He currently seems to have blocked ears, which is making (my)life difficult.

I only came on here today to have a scream, but saw this thread & wanted to thank @Grannie G for those points above.

Unfortunately, I seem to always end up shouting :oops:.
Most things aren't worth four or five repeatings.
TV & Radio are on maximum volume, but he still considers them "faulty".
It's affecting his balance also.

Sorry to barge onto your problem @Clarice cliff

Guzelle

Aug 27, 2016
Sheffield
My OH wears hearing aids he did wear them before the dementia got bad. The dementia got worse and so did his hearing and all he did was blame me when he couldn’t hear. He was rude to people and used to mock them.
He does have better hearing aids now that we have paid for but his hearing gets worse at the same time as his dementia gets worse. He needs them syringing at the moment so I’m having to put olive oil in every night now. He doesn’t like it and can’t understand why I’m doing it! I have to explain every time about the wax in his ears and he can then have hearing check up.