Young Adults Caring for Parents with Dementia

zola246

Mar 11, 2019
Hi everyone,
I'm kind of new to this lifestyle and I'm hoping I can receive advice and maybe help other young care givers with my story. My mother began showing signs of dementia when I was 18 years old. Honestly, because she was 61 and the forgetfulness was subtle and not quite often it was overlooked. By the time I turned 19, she was finally diagnosed with dementia after an accident that occurred when she was home alone and said men came to rob the house. She broke a window and injured her arm. When the police came, they said her story was not exactly straight and they were no signs of forced entry or broken windows besides the one she broke. Based on their evaluation, my dad and I decided it was time she saw a doctor. I am now 20 years old. After she had been diagnosed, everything changed. My mother was no longer able to be left home alone after dark, which became a challenge because only my dad and I live with her. I sometimes have late classes at my university and my dad works night shifts every other week therefore I have to hurry home before he has to leave. My older siblings all reside abroad except one who did not even bother to check in except when she wanted to ask for money. the strain that already existed amongst the members of my family have worsened because of the situation. My mother has developed a stubborn side that shows at least 3-4 times a day. She also hides things then forgets where she hid them, then accuses my dad and I of taking her things. Keeping the house tidy is becoming a lot more difficult as she no longer replaces things. As a young adult, i would say i had a great social life before my mum was diagnosed. Now, I hardly have the opportunities to go out and be social between work, school and taking care of my mother when my father has to work. These are all changes that I am still trying to get used to, but the main thing that I have struggled with the most is controlling my ability to suppress anger. I constantly have to remind myself that she's sick and getting upset will not do any good but i cant help it. If there's anyone out there experiencing anything similar, I want you to know that you are not alone and hopefully this creates a conversation that helps people along their journey like I hope it will for me. Thank you

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @zola246

I`m sorry your mother`s dementia has brought you to this forum but really hope you`ll soon develop a connection with others in your position for help and support.

My husband also used to have trouble finding things he`d put in safe places for fear they would be taken. It`s possible your mother isn`t really hiding things, more likely keeping them safe, especially if she has a level of distrust, thinking someone would be coming into the house to steal them. It doesn`t make it any easier for you though even if this is the case.

The anger and frustration in trying to live with dementia is perfectly natural. It`s a very frustrating illness to live with, especially for someone so young. It might help if you could come to some arrangement with your dad for some scheduled free time. I doubt he`s working all the time there is a danger he may rely on you too much.

Is your mother safe to be left alone? If not, is there any chance of day care while your dad is working?

You can find out about support in your area here.

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

Keep posting zola and take all the support offered from the forum.

Cap'n Grimm

Feb 6, 2019
It’s a rough situation and I can relate. I’m a young (ish) male caring for my mother. I started out by helping my dad. Unfortunately he died unexpectedly and since then I’ve quit my job and my life to care for mum full time.

If I could offer any advice it’s make sure you keep your dad healthy and look after him, because doing this alone is not easy. Do what you can to get your other family members involved. Make them understand the precarious nature of your position. And make plans for the worst. Be as prepared as you can be.

That said, I have absolutely no regrets. Doing this has been the best decision I ever made. Yeah it’s hard and frustrating and isolating. But it’s given my life a meaning that was previously missing.

Don’t give up on your own life. Just adapt it. Maybe I can’t go out for drinks with my friends. But there’s nothing to stop them coming over for dinner and drinks and I’ve become rather an adept host as a result.

As for any anger you might be feeling then take steps to deal with that otherwise it will consume you. You’ve identified that there’s a problem so you’re capable of doing something about it. Personally I joined a gym. Never did a sport in my life. But now I’m down there an hour a day working out. It’s kept my mind clear and focused. Find something that works for you.

You’re definitely not alone

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @zola246 and welcome from me too

I see that you have your hands full but you have come to the right place for advice.

There is a lot of information on site and the full list of the very informative Factsheets can be found with this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

You mention the anger issue, which is common, and I presume that communicating has become an issue at times, as it does for all of us. A few handy tips can be picked from the useful thread that can be reached with this link https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/compassionate-communication-with-the-memory-impaired.30801/

I hope you are able to keep posting for support.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @zola246
a warm welcome to TP
just wondering if you are in the USA, from some phrases you used eg school for university?
if so, you might add USA as location on your profile for members to see - the services and procedures are different in each country .. we do have members in the US who may be able to offer you suggestions from their experience

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Hi everyone,
I'm kind of new to this lifestyle and I'm hoping I can receive advice and maybe help other young care givers with my story. My mother began showing signs of dementia when I was 18 years old. Honestly, because she was 61 and the forgetfulness was subtle and not quite often it was overlooked. By the time I turned 19, she was finally diagnosed with dementia after an accident that occurred when she was home alone and said men came to rob the house. She broke a window and injured her arm. When the police came, they said her story was not exactly straight and they were no signs of forced entry or broken windows besides the one she broke. Based on their evaluation, my dad and I decided it was time she saw a doctor. I am now 20 years old. After she had been diagnosed, everything changed. My mother was no longer able to be left home alone after dark, which became a challenge because only my dad and I live with her. I sometimes have late classes at my university and my dad works night shifts every other week therefore I have to hurry home before he has to leave. My older siblings all reside abroad except one who did not even bother to check in except when she wanted to ask for money. the strain that already existed amongst the members of my family have worsened because of the situation. My mother has developed a stubborn side that shows at least 3-4 times a day. She also hides things then forgets where she hid them, then accuses my dad and I of taking her things. Keeping the house tidy is becoming a lot more difficult as she no longer replaces things. As a young adult, i would say i had a great social life before my mum was diagnosed. Now, I hardly have the opportunities to go out and be social between work, school and taking care of my mother when my father has to work. These are all changes that I am still trying to get used to, but the main thing that I have struggled with the most is controlling my ability to suppress anger. I constantly have to remind myself that she's sick and getting upset will not do any good but i cant help it. If there's anyone out there experiencing anything similar, I want you to know that you are not alone and hopefully this creates a conversation that helps people along their journey like I hope it will for me. Thank you

Hi @zola246 I am so sorry that this has happened to your mum especially while you are so young.

I will be brutally honest here. You should not be doing this, your mum is relatively young at 61 and this could go on for years. You are already struggling with your emotions and it is going to become more and more stressful as time progresses. Are you studying at uni and if you are then your studies must come first as it is your future and that is what is important.

You need to have a frank discussion with your dad and tell him that he needs to get some help in. He must not rely on you. Your poor dad is probably suffering emotionally the same as you are but by just struggling on things will get worse and you will find yourself doing more and more and this is not fair.

Your dad needs to arrange for proper care for her when he is working. Social services or something similar and it needs to be set in place very soon.

I am sorry that I am not a lot of help here but I feel very strongly that young people like you must have freedom of choice in their lives and realistically your mum could spend the next 10 or 15 years just getting slowly worse and you could find yourself sucked into looking after her because you feel guilty.

Helping your dad out is fine but your mum is not your responsibility and you have your own life to live.

Wishing you well and keep posting.

lis66

Aug 7, 2015
Totally agree with duggies girl you are so young ,and your mum could live with this horrundeous illness for years.My daughter is 28 and a nurse and on her days off she is down bathing my mum who has AD or bathing my dad ,who's not in great health I appreciate her help so much but it has consumed two years of her life and it's not fair on her and I've told her so ,they are not her responsibility it's very hard ,but she still goes travelling around the world which she loves ,and which I encourage her to do ,so sorry for the situation you and your dad are in my mum cannot be left alone either which makes things very difficult .