Woman, 86, aces advanced driving test

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
BBC NEWs

Older drivers: Woman, 86, aces advanced driving test

An 86-year-old woman who has passed her advanced driving test with flying colours says she wants to challenge stereotypes of older motorists.

Thelma Bradshaw, from Alvaston, Derby, is one of the oldest women in the UK to pass the test.

The Institute of Advanced Motorists' test examines a higher level of skills than the standard practical driving exam.

Mrs Bradshaw first passed in 1977 but she decided to take it again to prove she still could.

This time, she was just one mark short of a perfect score.

The retired teacher said: "It doesn't matter how old people are, it's a question of how capable they are."

The One word that sums this up is CAPABLE

This is the very reason although I have dementia I continue to Drive because I have the capability

Last edited:

ChocolateBrownie

Nov 21, 2018
That is fabulous news and well done to Mrs Bradshaw. The fact that she did this voluntarily speaks volumes.

But when an 80-year old person starts to have regular close encounters with other drivers’ wing mirrors, there is no mechanism to prompt them to take a test to establish whether they are still safe to drive or just need new glasses.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi CholateBrownie at the moment When you turn 70, the DVLA will send you a form to renew your licence for a maximum of three years and You need to declare on this form that you are still fit and able to drive safely ;);), so it remains the Driving Licence holders responsibility to judge :confused::confused: Personally now with people living longer I think this is crazy there should be a Mandatory Driving Test at age of 70 and every subsequent 3 year renewal thereafter for Every Driver irrespective of medical or disability conditions but as I said previously its all about CAPABILITY if at the age 70 we want to drive take the driving test it’s not expensive about £60-£65 if we pass the driving test we drive simple

I’m am 76 and have a diagnoses of Dementia so in fact I’m like the Turkey voting for Christmas :):):)

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
@Countryboy - should we be more worried that your avatar is a shotgun? Do you need a driving test for that over 70..:p

Hi ChocolateBrownie not sure I think your allowed to have a Shotgun Licence at 10 years old might even be 8 years old but there must be a responsible person over 18 with you but they don't have to be a licence holder my Uncle is almost 96 and still:):) has a few Shotguns so no upper age limit :D happy hunting ;);)

ChocolateBrownie

Nov 21, 2018
My FIL (no longer with us) also had shotguns in his 90s - he kept one in his bedroom, and was glad he did when one night was woken by an intruder.

Fortunately, he was not able to reach it in the wardrobe swiftly - as it was a policeman coming up the stairs who had responded to FILs safety alarm. FIL had been wearing his alarm in bed and rolled onto it setting it off. He used to enjoy telling that story!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet