Our Beautiful dad has Alzheimer's

scullet

Jan 10, 2019
Hi All

Our beautiful dad aged 76 has just been diagnosed having Alzheimer's. This is so devastating to say the least! We Just dont know where to go or what to do?? Myself mum and sisters are there but are there any support groups?? He also needs his ears testing . Can anyone advise ?? Thank you xx

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hullo and welcome to TP, scullet. Sorry your dad has Alzheimer's, it is hard to take and to deal with, but you will find support and advice here from others who are fighting similar problems. The link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you will take you to local support and help. The carers trust also run carers support meetings and your nearest centre can be found at https://carers.org/.
Ear testing depends on how he will react to the audiologist, but I find with my OH when she gets her eyes tested that the optician is very patient and repeats every test gently when I tell him she has vascular dementia and may get confused.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
It is absolutely devastating to receive this diagnosis and my heart goes out to you but you are not alone, so many of us have had that experience. Support on Talking Point is so helpful and I hope it will give you heart to help him best. The GP should be able to refer him for his ears and the main thing is to have someone with him to explain if necessary both to the staff, about any difficulties he might have and to him what is happening.

scullet

Jan 10, 2019
It is absolutely devastating to receive this diagnosis and my heart goes out to you but you are not alone, so many of us have had that experience. Support on Talking Point is so helpful and I hope it will give you heart to help him best. The GP should be able to refer him for his ears and the main thing is to have someone with him to explain if necessary both to the staff, about any difficulties he might have and to him what is happening.
Thank you xx