Can i set up on-line banking for mum without POA?

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
Just checked a random bank (Lloyds) for internet access with third party mandate and found it not allowed, although telephone banking is allowed.

You would need a general power of attorney, both third party access and general power require your mum to have capacity.

https://www.lloydsbank.com/help-gui...ne-to-manage-your-affairs/types-of-access.asp

Rules vary between banks.

@Buskitten

Hi. Nitram, my dad banked with Lloyds and until I needed to get and register a
LPA with them, I had third party access to my dad’s accounts which I managed through online banking and I had a bank debit card for his account. We just went into the bank, filled out the form, I set up passwords etc for the online banking and that was it. I have found Lloyds bank to be very helpful and very Dementia friendly, they also have a dedicated team who you can ring directly, who deal with Power of Attorneys.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
I too had TPA for my mums account. I had a card, set up on line banking and I believe a cheque book. What I can't remember is if I could access her savings or whether that was only after I got the LPA.

Buskitten

Dec 10, 2018
I too had TPA for my mums account. I had a card, set up on line banking and I believe a cheque book. What I can't remember is if I could access her savings or whether that was only after I got the LPA.
Thanks Rosetta

Maryland

Mar 30, 2015
North East UK
Hi everyone, a quick question re EPA /LPA!
This is done and registered with OPG.
However, when I mentioned this to DWP and other agencies I was told has to be certified?????
Not sure what that is! I believed once in place that was it!!advice please and thanks in advance!
By certifying it means certified with a solicitor but it has to be logged legally. Our solicitor did ours and we forwarded copies to bank and financial advisers, our daughter now has her own bank card for our account and we dont use my OH bank cards at all. He neve carries money either as he was giving it away all the time . The solicitor will give you so many certified copies which when you do any transactions have to be forward to the relevant people. Most people will accept photocopies but others require originals and usually send them ba ck.

Buskitten

Dec 10, 2018
Thanks everyone for great help and advice . I have a third party mandate until POA registered certified etc.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I'm glad you've got the third party mandate sorted.

Re the lawn you mention in the opening post on this thread, it has probably been scarified, which I do manually with a rake, and neighbours who all use lawn care cos have done by lawn care co - next doors was done 2 weeks ago.

It is supposed to get rid of thatch of grass which forms, discourage weeds and encourage strong growth of grass but does look like there are bare patches initially

Buskitten

Dec 10, 2018
Hi juggling,
Yes! It has been scarified - we've cancelled this as i think mum thought she was getting her grass cut; I need to arrange for someone to do this, but can only get her to agree to a bit at a time! The lawn treatments were quite costly I thought although I'm sure it's the going rate. Thanks for your reply ! :)
I'm glad you've got the third party mandate sorted.

Re the lawn you mention in the opening post on this thread, it has probably been scarified, which I do manually with a rake, and neighbours who all use lawn care cos have done by lawn care co - next doors was done 2 weeks ago.

It is supposed to get rid of thatch of grass which forms, discourage weeds and encourage strong growth of grass but does look like there are bare patches initially

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabream