Paranoia

Citroen 2cv

Mar 1, 2019
Spain
hi can anyone please give me some advice on how to deal with it when mum gets herself worked up about bank cards and sip ( medical card). I make sure mum has 1 purse only yet she seems to find others around the house and cards get moved from 1 to the other. I keep them in a place where mums carer and translator ( lives in Spain) can find them . Mum will move them and put them in any purse she finds. I get a phone call saying that someone has her cards. It has become impossible to assure her that no one has and that they are safe. I work in U.K. as a live in carer so it’s often difficult to have a long conversation over the phone. Any suggestions please.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I make sure mum has 1 purse only yet she seems to find others around the house and cards get moved from 1 to the other.

I suggest those others round the house need to be moved away @Citroen2cv .

My husband was like this with his wallet. It was difficult enough finding his one wallet because he put it in different safe places when he came home after an outing. I don`t know how I would have managed if there were other wallets hidden around the house.

If your mother is unable to find her purse and cards it is natural she thinks someone has taken them. She will think the same even if she only has the one purse, but the one purse may be easier to find.

Citroen 2cv

Mar 1, 2019
Spain
I suggest those others round the house need to be moved away @Citroen2cv .

My husband was like this with his wallet. It was difficult enough finding his one wallet because he put it in different safe places when he came home after an outing. I don`t know how I would have managed if there were other wallets hidden around the house.

If your mother is unable to find her purse and cards it is natural she thinks someone has taken them. She will think the same even if she only has the one purse, but the one purse may be easier to find.
I thought I had done that yet somehow she seems to find more. It is only a small apartment but she is so very good at hiding/ finding things. One purse disappeared months ago searched everywhere for it honestly thought mum had thrown it away it surfaced today!

good gosh

Apr 27, 2016
Hampshire UK
Hiding the handbag and forgetting where it was hidden - its a three-times-a-day alarm with my wife. And she's convinced I have stolen it or hidden it out of malice.

I make sure the wife keeps her mobile phone in her handbag and can then find it by ringing her phone. I also attach her house keys to her phone pouch so they can be found together also. ..

But it sounds like your Mum lives alone. However, if she was encouraged to keep a second mobile phone in her handbag, along with her purse, she could ring her handbag phone to find it, or call you to ring her handbag mobile. Otherwise, there is nothing that could be done until a carer calls round. . .

Last edited:

Citroen 2cv

Mar 1, 2019
Spain
Hiding the handbag and forgetting where it was hidden - its a three-times-a-day alarm with my wife. And she's convinced I have stolen it or hidden it out of malice.

I make sure the wife keeps her mobile phone in her handbag and can then find it by ringing her phone. I also attach her house keys to her phone pouch so they can be found together also. ..

But it sounds like your Mum lives alone. However, if she was encouraged to keep a second mobile phone in her handbag, along with her purse, she could ring her handbag phone to find it, or call you to ring her handbag mobile. Otherwise, there is nothing that could be done until a carer calls round. . .
Thanks mum lives on her own for 6 weeks at a time them I’m home with her for a month. She does have a mobile phone which at moment is used as a back up on land line as she pulls cord from it. Think I will suggest to carer to start putting it her bag. Keys are always worn on a cord around her neck so that’s not such a problem.

Guzelle

Aug 27, 2016
Sheffield
My OH loses his bank cards, bus pass, glasses and teeth a dozen times a day, he says people move them there is only me and him who live here. I spend all day helping him find them!

good gosh

Apr 27, 2016
Hampshire UK
Thanks mum lives on her own for 6 weeks at a time them I’m home with her for a month. She does have a mobile phone which at moment is used as a back up on land line as she pulls cord from it. Think I will suggest to carer to start putting it her bag. Keys are always worn on a cord around her neck so that’s not such a problem.
Her carer will need to check the handbag mobile once a week and recharge when needed.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Hi @Citroen 2cv Sorry no help here but I have to ask you if you have a Citroen 2CV because I do and if you do have one did you go to the 2013 world meeting in Alcaniz where it was very very hot.

I am just interested to know because we may have met in a field somewhere. It's possible.

Citroen 2cv

Mar 1, 2019
Spain
Hi @Citroen 2cv Sorry no help here but I have to ask you if you have a Citroen 2CV because I do and if you do have one did you go to the 2013 world meeting in Alcaniz where it was very very hot.

I am just interested to know because we may have met in a field somewhere. It's possible.
Sadly no not any more. Had 1 for many years a dolly red and grey called Doris. Used to tow a 4 berth trailer tent as well. Would love another 1 but very very expensive in Spain. I used to be a member of a club but a long time ago.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Sadly no not any more. Had 1 for many years a dolly red and grey called Doris. Used to tow a 4 berth trailer tent as well. Would love another 1 but very very expensive in Spain. I used to be a member of a club but a long time ago.

Ah that's a shame and yes they are getting expensive in the UK I have had mine for a long time too but sadly it has not been used much over the last couple of years due to circumstances and now it needs a bit of work. It will get done soon.

Happy days and 100 smiles an hour

Citroen 2cv

Mar 1, 2019
Spain
Ah that's a shame and yes they are getting expensive in the UK I have had mine for a long time too but sadly it has not been used much over the last couple of years due to circumstances and now it needs a bit of work. It will get done soon.

Happy days and 100 smiles an hour
Driving my Doris always made me smile. She used to get rebuilt a lot had a couple of spare engines also easier to put a new one if when problems happen. I hope you do get yours sorted soon.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Driving my Doris always made me smile. She used to get rebuilt a lot had a couple of spare engines also easier to put a new one if when problems happen. I hope you do get yours sorted soon.

I hope so too because the world meeting this year is in Croatia. I need an adventure and hopefully I may go because I have missed too many meetings the past few years. We camp all the way there and back. The journey is the best bit for me.

Mine is called Daisy and she is a very pretty turquoise colour.

Citroen 2cv

Mar 1, 2019
Spain
My OH loses his bank cards, bus pass, glasses and teeth a dozen times a day, he says people move them there is only me and him who live here. I spend all day helping him find them!
How do you explain to your OH about things being moved all the time? My mum seems to think that everyone is plotting against her with her purse. I have just come off the phone now and had to hang up as I can’t deal with it at times. I fully understand that it is impossible to reason . Mum had a change over of carer today and I couldn’t get mum on phone yesterday to tell her so of course she found it difficult. I am struggling as I am doing two care jobs 1 as a live in where I get very little sleep at night and my mum while at work and at home. I constantly get carers messaging me over silly little things asking what to do etc I’m not getting any down time at all. Sorry to go n but I’m desperate worried that I will have to give up work and won’t be able to financially support mum.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
You should not have to financially support your mum, @Citroen 2cv - her care should be paid from her own finances, not yours. There are many reasons why people do not give up work, but supporting your mum financially should not be one of them.

Citroen 2cv

Mar 1, 2019
Spain
You should not have to financially support your mum, @Citroen 2cv - her care should be paid from her own finances, not yours. There are many reasons why people do not give up work, but supporting your mum financially should not be one of them.
Sadly I have to mum gets small pension but her grandson my son emptied my parents bank account of a huge amount of money which would have been enough for what ever care was needed. Nothing was left so I have had to take over paying the bills as well at least for the foreseeable future.